F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > F30 320i sport ordered (uk)
Studio RSR

03-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Junction17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Smile F30 320i sport ordered (uk)

Actually, I ordered it on 2nd February in Scotland. Initial delivery date was estimated at 2nd week in April, however that has been revised forward twice and is now w/b 19th March. When I checked on Thursday, my dealer told me it was in paint shop at that time and not to be surprised if the delivery date comes forward again!

It is

mineral white

Added

Enhanced Bluetooth for iPhone 3gs with cradle
Xenon headlights
9 speaker hifi package

Otherwise it is a standard build. I can't wait! Anticipation is high...I could only test drive drive the 320d at the dealer, but I'm told performance is almost identical?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junction17
Actually, I ordered it on 2nd February in Scotland. Initial delivery date was estimated at 2nd week in April, however that has been revised forward twice and is now w/b 19th March. When I checked on Thursday, my dealer told me it was in paint shop at that time and not to be surprised if the delivery date comes forward again!

It is

mineral white

Added

Enhanced Bluetooth for iPhone 3gs with cradle
Xenon headlights
9 speaker hifi package

Otherwise it is a standard build. I can't wait! Anticipation is high...I could only test drive drive the 320d at the dealer, but I'm told performance is almost identical?
Congrats, bet the wait is even harder now! What interior did you go for?

Reckon the 320i will sound a little better than the diesel.

Enjoy. Be sure to post some pics and a review when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Junction17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Congrats, bet the wait is even harder now! What interior did you go for?

Reckon the 320i will sound a little better than the diesel.

Enjoy. Be sure to post some pics and a review when you get it.
Thanks! It's like a kid waiting for Christmas! I've been doing my best not to bug our local dealer for production updates. BMW uk don't seem to do the 'track my BMW' facility that the USA website has, which I would undoubtedly try to if they did!

I had a new 118i sport as a courtesy car recently and was struck on how quiet it was (and nippy!), compared to my two year old E90 318d SE, which helped influence my choice to go back to petrol.

The 320i sport is nearly 3000 pounds cheaper than the diesel, still only 100 pounds more expensive to tax and only 6-7% less efficient in MPG terms than the diesel equivalent, which is offset by the cheaper price of petrol vs diesel at the pumps. So, given I will be doing around 12000 miles a year, I reckoned I was better off returning to petrol....which as you say is quieter and I believe will be more responsive in the right places!

The dealer reckoned that BMW are predicting a more general switch back to petrol, given how much more efficiency they are squeezing out of petrol engines these days.

As for interior it's the racing cloth fabric with red piping trim and the high gloss black dash. I think the 1 series I had as courtesy car was pretty identical to the interior trim of the 3 series sport I'll be getting.

It was the loan of the 1 series which led me to order enhanced Bluetooth and the hifi package for my forthcoming f30, because assuming they are identical, I was non plussed with the limited extent of USB functionality available for my iPhone as standard. Ie you could make basic hands free calls from the iPhone and charge it via USB but that was about it. Some of the stuff you would suppose you could do, such as idrive search or voice control of your iPod element of the iPhone with album art on the dash screen was not available - so I had to go for the upgrade to accomplish this.

Will post pics and review when it's here!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I reckon you've made the right choice on petrol v diesel. I jumped straight in with the 320d but I'm beginning to question my logic!

The whole iPod connectivity thing is a nightmare. I think you've got it right but check this thread to be sure: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655575

Would you consider a leather interior? I think it elevates the whole feel of the car IMHO but obviously it comes at a premium.

Either way, it's going to be a sweet ride!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Junction17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I reckon you've made the right choice on petrol v diesel. I jumped straight in with the 320d but I'm beginning to question my logic!

The whole iPod connectivity thing is a nightmare. I think you've got it right but check this thread to be sure: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655575

Would you consider a leather interior? I think it elevates the whole feel of the car IMHO but obviously it comes at a premium.

Either way, it's going to be a sweet ride!
Thanks for your kind views! It was a close run thing in the diesel vs petrol consideration. The diesel drove beautifully when i test drove it and I suspect I will have to drive the petrol version that bit harder to get the same pull, which will of course further affect economy, so maybe your logic isn't so questionable!

You are dead right about the leather. The demo car I drove had the leather sports seats with red stitching and they looked and felt substantial and I'd have had them in a heartbeat, but as a twelve hundred pound option I felt I had to limit my optional extras to the three I mentioned as being more obviously useful to me. I have two cars, two kids, a house and a wife to feed!!!

I also spent a few days with the black and red fabric option in the 1 series sport courtesy car last month and really liked that interior too, with the same seats. I'm glad I had that car now as it gave me some insight into what life with the 3 series was going to be like and helped determine my options - the standard halogen lights in the 1 series were terrible, which prompted me to phone the dealer and make sure I had the xenons installed in my new baby!!

If money was no object, I'd have had the leather, but then I'd have wanted every other option too because I'm gadget daft and there's loads of cool stuff lurking in the options list!!! However, I feel I'm a driver first and foremost so plumped for the stuff that increased safety and reduced distraction.

Have you got your 320d yet?

One other great little perk about buying the new car is choosing your reg plate. While I'm not really into private plates, it was quite neat to choose the best of about sixty available plates and thus avoid plates like SG12 SUX!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I think you've got your priorities right on the options. Sound was about the first thing I ticked, and Xenons soon after!

My current least expires 30 April so the new car arrives 1 May. I haven't test driven the new 320d (but I test drove the same engine in an E92 and loved it) so it's good to hear positive feedback.

Looking forward to some pics of your new ride when it gets here!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Junction17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think you've got your priorities right on the options. Sound was about the first thing I ticked, and Xenons soon after!

My current least expires 30 April so the new car arrives 1 May. I haven't test driven the new 320d (but I test drove the same engine in an E92 and loved it) so it's good to hear positive feedback.

Looking forward to some pics of your new ride when it gets here!
Well if it whets your appetite, i'm a professional driver with 23 years experience, advanced driving certificates etc etc, drive 36000 miles a year, sometimes at high speed etc, mostly at comfortable speeds though. When I test drove the 320d sport, which admittedly was fully loaded with all sorts of options that the sales guy didn't really tell me about,.....all things considered ie price, sportiness, handling, comfort, performance, economy, size, practicality and gadgets....I thought it was the best car I've ever driven. It just does everything do well and at last BMW provided an interior that was well equipped and interesting!

But the thing you love most is that zippy engine...no doubts.

I'll post the pics in two weeks, once Christmas...erm I mean 19th March arrives!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Junction17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Official delivery day is 21st March! Dealer needs a day to valet it and inspect it, so I'm aiming at 23rd for pick up. Mind you, dealer reckons the product always turns up ahead of the stated delivery....not long now!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
BMW_newbie
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30 328i Luxury

Good stuff! Ordered my 328i the same day as u...2 Feb. as far as I am aware I am still due for a May delivery! Hope mine gets brought forward too!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
Junction17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_newbie View Post
Good stuff! Ordered my 328i the same day as u...2 Feb. as far as I am aware I am still due for a May delivery! Hope mine gets brought forward too!
I wonder what is holding yours up? I know they didn't start production of the 320i until the beginning of march, but the 328i has been rolling off the production line for a while now. Mind you, the 328 seems to be very popular, especially among Americans, so maybe that is a factor, or possibly the choice of paint colour, since I noticed certain colours were only going to be available after certain dates?

It's worth a wee call to the dealer to ask for an update.

I'll let you know how things progress!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
y789
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325

junction17, would appreciate your thoughts on the 320i, strange couldn't find any reviews for 320i on the Internet!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
hsb
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 718 Spyder

Any review of the 320i anyone?
Appreciate 0