E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Autologic / dension / coding in Northern Ireland

02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

Autologic / dension / coding in Northern Ireland

Hi guys

Just a wee info post! I recently bought a dension500 gateway to give me a USB/iPod connection. Only issue is that it needed coded in, and dealer are charging huge prices.

I found a garage with an Autologic programmer and it was nothing more than 10mins for a diagnostic and mere moments to enable the dension unit. It seems most retrofit stuff can be done as easily, so I'm now thinking what else I can get done!!

The garage is Autotechnic, and is located just off Montogomery Rd in Belfast, down a little lane beside the British Legion building.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Thanks mate, very useful to know. I pass that way most days.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Like most things it's down to the training/competence of the programmer, it seems you've found a good one - I was quoted a minimum of 2 hours to enable a retrofit armrest USB by a local BMW dealer, it would probably be cheaper for me to catch the ferry & have your guy do it

How are you finding the Dension500?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelo View Post
Hi guys

Just a wee info post! I recently bought a dension500 gateway to give me a USB/iPod connection. Only issue is that it needed coded in, and dealer are charging huge prices.

I found a garage with an Autologic programmer and it was nothing more than 10mins for a diagnostic and mere moments to enable the dension unit. It seems most retrofit stuff can be done as easily, so I'm now thinking what else I can get done!!

The garage is Autotechnic, and is located just off Montogomery Rd in Belfast, down a little lane beside the British Legion building.
Nigelo, do you know if they can enable the alarm beep when locking the car? I've been toying with having this enabled as sometimes I don't know if I've locked the car or not due to it being so quiet which is really annoying.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I don't know how it affects NI but I understand that the arm/disarm beep is now illegal over here thanks to an EU directive banning it
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris100 View Post
Nigelo, do you know if they can enable the alarm beep when locking the car? I've been toying with having this enabled as sometimes I don't know if I've locked the car or not due to it being so quiet which is really annoying.

Cheers.

Never thought of that one, Im looking into getting the speed read out on the screen between the dials, but thatd be handy too!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I don't know how it affects NI but I understand that the arm/disarm beep is now illegal over here thanks to an EU directive banning it

A friend of mine just had the option enabled on his new TT, and it was a UK company that did it. They never mentioned anything about this EU law, and TBH it wouldn't annoy me if I had someone willing to enable it for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelo View Post
Never thought of that one, Im looking into getting the speed read out on the screen between the dials, but thatd be handy too!
Oh, that would be interesting too Nigelo. Would be really interested to hear how you get on with this as I may take a trip down myself.

Maybe a bit of discount is possible if we were having them done at the sametime :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 04:10 AM   #9
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

am i missing something here. why would you want two speedo readings?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John320d View Post
am i missing something here. why would you want two speedo readings?
C'mon man, some stuff is just too fly to NOT want!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

^^ What he said!

Would be interested in that. At the moment I've a big Airbag symbol which Bavarian are going to sort out for me next week... it obliterates everything, as if I don't know there's a problem....???!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Just as a mini-update!

Had fitted the dension behind the dash / radio area, but was having problems getting all the wiring fitted in and didn't have time to do a proper test.

So today I stripped it out again, and looked for a better place to fit it.

I removed the rear of the glovebox and an alternative installation plan came to mind, and it was so much easier!!!!!

First time round I tapped live and ground from the radio harness. This time I used a 'add-a-circuit' device to take a live from the fusebox in the glove box. There is also a metal brace with a bolt that I unscrewed a little to attach a ground to. Power sorted!

For the opticals, first time I took apart the connectors from the quadlock radio harness. This time, I spotted what must be the optical diagnostic connector behind the glove box - you can just about see it in this really bad blurry pic - follow the 2 black ribbed cables.

It plugged STRAIGHT into the dension unit. Happy days!

The dension unit went up behind were the cup holders are, was foam padded and secured. The cables came down behind the glovebox and I notched a hole in the rear panel of the glovebox and fed the cables through. I then secured the end audio connectors to the insides of the glovebox! All done!!
Appreciate 0