BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    Why I wont buy a Mercedes ML...

02-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Why I wont buy a Mercedes ML...

Ok, let me first say, before I start a flame war (pun not intended lol), I'm just kidding of course. It's actually my mother-in-law's car Anyways, I figured I'd just drop it here.. my X5, that was standing 5 feet away from it survived it all thankfully

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

wow, what year? I am losing faith in MB...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

That has even happened on certain Impala's with 3800 series engines. But there cause was because of a leaking fuel pressure regulator. By just starting the car it would blow the intake off and the fire would start from there.

How did this start?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

I guess you won't be buying an F458 either.

That ML is at least 7 years old, has it been properly maintained, I've never heard of an ML combusting before either. Any car can catch on fire under the right circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

what happen?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
It's not limited to MBs. This was posted on another forum.

Quote:
My friends 2007 BMW 750 LI went up in flames while she was driving it on February 3rd. Arson investigators went out and said it was caused by a short in the electrical system. They said a wire under the dash got hot and ignited the insulation along the fire wall.

02-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

I guess the poster who is losing faith in Mercedes must now be crapping himself over his purchase of a BMW after seeing the above photos.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
I guess the poster who is losing faith in Mercedes must now be crapping himself over his purchase of a BMW after seeing the above photos.
haha yeah... shit happens

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

My sisters e36 burned to the ground, as a percentage of total production the Italians probably burn the most.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
haha yeah... shit happens
Venting... I'm having issues with a new MB... I'm aware of the 3800 series 2 engines catching fire (mentioned above), had a w body... Aware of the many issues with BMWs and other car manufacturers over the years as well. Realize that there are always outliers on almost any distribution... Again just not happy with MB right now, sorry for a completely irrational and unfounded post... Just mad that I have a loaner...

Last edited by E90 87ss; 03-02-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

a belotti reach stacker at work burned because of an electrical shortage of the starter motor, so what's the big deal?

Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

lol @ walking stick used to hold hood open
      02-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
wow, what year? I am losing faith in MB...
It's either 2001 or 2002 (I believe the latter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
How did this start?
According to the fire department it started because of a leakage, probably oil. It happened about 5 minutes after my MIL came home. Odd thing is, she recently went to BM for a recall, something regarding the oil (dunno what exactly) but they're looking into that atm.

My initial thought was a lack of maintenance (like a lack of fluids in the radiator, causing it to overheat (also since we're in Hawaii)). My mother-in-law is someone who really likes to postpone things like that, thinking she is saving money while, in fact, if stuff like this happens she is actually losing money. Obviously they're going after the recall first but if that doesn't bring anything up, I think they'll be back to her soon enough

Quote:
Hahaha nah not really, I know it can happy with any kind brand. If people don't do their maintenance or if there is anything else that doesn't get proper care, these things can happen. Me saying I wouldn't buy a MB because of this is, of course, BS

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Um, the X5 is well known to catch fire and way more so than any ML.
Svache, you better keep a fire extinguisher handy......

Another Safety Problem for BMW: X5s That Catch Fire
http://www.dailyfinance.com/rtn/pr/a...rfid403683582/
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Um, the X5 is well known to catch fire and way more so than any ML.
Svache, you better keep a fire extinguisher handy......

Another Safety Problem for BMW: X5s That Catch Fire
http://www.dailyfinance.com/rtn/pr/a...rfid403683582/
That looks scary, thankfully it was all older X5's than mine plus I only have about a month left on my lease

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
That looks scary, thankfully it was all older X5's than mine plus I only have about a month left on my lease
btw, posting a thread with a title of "Why I won't buy a Mercedes ML" and then posting a photo of a burned out car is how urban myths get started on the internet. Google will link the key words and spread it all over. A very lame thread and it was unethical to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
btw, posting a thread with a title of "Why I won't buy a Mercedes ML" and then posting a photo of a burned out car is how urban myths get started on the internet. Google will link the key words and spread it all over. A very lame thread and it was unethical to do it.
I know I shouldn't even reply on you regarding this as I just find it childish, uncalled for and on a trolling borderline, but oh well.

Let me just say, when Google indexes this thread, which it already did (and funny enough, searching on Google Images on that exact same wording only shows the burned out BMW in this thread at this moment (and let me put another disclaimer here, it is doing that while I am writing this post, it might be different in the future)), and people click the link to read more, everyone can also read the exact wording in that first post:
Quote:
I'm just kidding of course.
There is a reason I put that as disclaimer, same as the 'before I start a flame war', as I was already kind of expecting someone making a post like yours to pop up.

Apparently you don't think so but let me just say once more that something like this wont stop me buying anything. Just as much as it didn't stop Toyota from selling a lot of cars with the big amount of recalls it had. Anyone willing to read that title, and see the picture (for which they have had to click the link according to the current Google index), is most likely also willing to read the rest of the story there (apparently with the exception of you).

Furthermore, it is very unlikely that this thread indeed creates an urban myth but if it does, you're only helping by replying in this thread because, every new reply also means an update to the page and a new index by Google (and a couple of additional links with that).

Now, again, the investigation to the fire is still pending. However, part of their investigation is to look into a recall by Mercedes Benz only a short while ago. That investigation is no urban myth, it is reality. For as long as the investigation is pending, nobody knows what the real cause was and like I also stated in one of my posts above, it is very much likely that it was a lack of maintenance, which wouldn't surprise me either. Again, if you would have taken the time to read my posts, you would've known this and didn't have to suggest this could become an urban myth.

Now, if I indeed had the intention of starting an urban myth, I would know different ways to do that more efficient without posting it here.

Last edited by svache; 03-01-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
I know I shouldn't even reply on you regarding this as I just find it childish, uncalled for and on a trolling borderline, but oh well.
Um, then why did you reply? And with a really long one, too.
Appreciate 0