E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod Problem -- Please help!

06-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

iPod Problem -- Please help!

I have an iPod mini. When I connected it to my system under "usb" it recognizes the iPod, but when I click on the name of the iPod the only option that I can access is "directory." I can see "genre" "artists" "title" etc., but they are all grey and cannot be clicked on!

Not sure if this is related, but the first time I clicked on Aux the system got stuck there (i.e., FM and AM were grey and the system wouldn't let me click on them). Finally, after pressing the "mode" button on the stereo itself things seem to have worked themselves out...but now I am having the above trouble with the iPod.

My car just arrived so I assume that it has all the latest SW. Does anyone have suggestions? Please help. I absolutely love the car, but this sucks!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

I just found this thread. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63691

my car did NOT come with the Y adapter. I have simply been trying to use the white USB --> iPod adapter that came with the ipod and that I use ot connect to the computer. I am guessing this is the problem and that the device is simply being recognized as mass storage. can anyone confirm?

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and figure out why they didn't give me the Y adaper (and make them FedEx me one)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
aem kei
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 - E90

Hey,

I think i can help you...

First of all, do you use a Mac?
If so it won't work... you'll have to format your iPod on a windows machine!
Idrive uses WinCE as an operating system and can only read FAT32. IF you use a mac it's formatted under HFS file system.

If you have done this all. You can connect your iPod to the idrive but you'll have to wait quite some time untill he synced the entire ipod with the BMW system.
After that it works like a charm (hopefully )

Oh and btw, you need the BMW USB to ipod cable!
If you use the white USB cable form apple you get a load of jibberish on your iDrive screen...Your car has to be delivered with the Y cable, it's a standard item with the 6FL USB port in your car... if you don't have such a cable, go back and get one for free!!!!

I hope i was of help considering it's my first post here

Last edited by aem kei; 06-05-2007 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aem kei View Post
Idrive uses WinCE as an operating system and can only read FAT32.
GAH! I wish this misinformation would just die already. While some idrives did run WinCE; the contemporary 3er (if not others) is vxWorks. You can see the binaries right on the nav DVD. I'm not sure when the cut-over was, or if the 7er is still Windows; JSpira could be more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem kei View Post
I hope i was of help considering it's my first post here
You're right on about the filesystem... if you're using the iPod in USB Mass Storage Mode (USB cable only). If you're using the iPod aux+usb cable, then the iPod's doing the playing and it doesn't matter what your filesystem is. This method is also the only way to play DRM'ed or (iirc) Apple Lossless audio, niether of which the head unit can decipher on its own.
Appreciate 0