BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    What car is this?

02-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

What car is this?

Anybody know what this car is, I don't have a clue?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

It looks like Bertone work to me, rhd, most likely British, I was thinking etype, but the dash isn't quite right (there were several variations of the the car and I am no expert), it may be smaller, like an mg...probably jag
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Turns out this is the Ford Cougar II, it was almost produced as a competitor to the Vette Stingray, I think the Ford is far more attractive, could have been a good seller for them.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Wow I wonder what the high speed lift was like in that thing....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

From another site:
"In the 1963 Ford shown the third Cougar dream car, it was called Cougar II. This very handsome two-passenger GT sports car would have made a timely contender to the popular Corvette String Ray. (Ford explained that GT, or gran turismo, is a temi usually applied to two-seat coupes designed for super highways.) Cougar II featured a fastback roof, conceaied "pop-up" headiamps, and a serious, fully instrumented interior.

Powertrain was a high-performance 260 cu. in. V-8 engine that connected a four-speed transmission with a console-mounted gearshift lever. It was claimed that Cougar II was engineered to reach speeds in the 170 miles-an-hour range. When interior air pressure exceeded 15 pounds per square inch, a reliefpanel across th� rear of the passenger compartment opened automatically.

This panel was required, since there was the possibility that at high speeds, the extreme pressure against the rear window might blow it out. Cougar also had a unique spring-loaded window-lift mechanism that allowed adjustment to the curved side windows. "

The pic link is 'protected' http://www.conceptcars.it/usa/ford/cougar2.htm
http://andoniscars.blogspot.com/2011...#axzz1nDcaMNfl
Appreciate 0