XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

02-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
MarioX6M
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X6M Lumma

New to M cars, would like some opinions.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the M cars, I placed an order for a 2012 X6M Monte Carlo Blue last week. Still waiting for delivery of course...

Anyways, I have done some research on what I can do to it to increase performance without of course doing some crazy stuff...

So far what I've thought of is;

Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Exhaust

I'm also interested in getting the ECU flashed for better performance, but I'm confused as to what I should go for...

ESS, Active Autowerke, etc... I've heard some "negative" stuff from Active Autowerke before but I'm not sure if it's true...

I also wanted to ask... How does the ESS work? Do you connect it to the car, and it will install a tune on it, and you're done? Does it require logs to make it better? Or pretty much plug, install, and go?

Please note that I do not have 93 octane fuel where I live... 91 is the best and I would rather not have to do any logs or "custom" tunes via E-Mail.

Thank you And nice to meet you all!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Renntech is in your neck of woods. They claim to have the fastest tune only x5/x6m. The ESS tune also seems to be very solid and you can load and unload it prior to going in to the dealership. I'd look into Eissenmann or RPI exhaust. Downpipes add the most power but will create interior resonance and voids warranty. (Tune voids warranty also)
CLS55 and C6Z06 (previous rides)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioX6M View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to the M cars, I placed an order for a 2012 X6M Monte Carlo Blue last week. Still waiting for delivery of course...

Anyways, I have done some research on what I can do to it to increase performance without of course doing some crazy stuff...

So far what I've thought of is;

Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Exhaust

I'm also interested in getting the ECU flashed for better performance, but I'm confused as to what I should go for...

ESS, Active Autowerke, etc... I've heard some "negative" stuff from Active Autowerke before but I'm not sure if it's true...

I also wanted to ask... How does the ESS work? Do you connect it to the car, and it will install a tune on it, and you're done? Does it require logs to make it better? Or pretty much plug, install, and go?

Please note that I do not have 93 octane fuel where I live... 91 is the best and I would rather not have to do any logs or "custom" tunes via E-Mail.

Thank you And nice to meet you all!
Jacksonville doesn't have 93 octane?!? Any Shell, Mobil, etc. would have 93 octane, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
MarioX6M
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X6M Lumma

Thank you for the answers!

So RENNTech would be good to go?

I asked about ESS because it seems a lot of people here mention it.

Also, I mentioned the Akrapovic exhaust because I love the way the carbon fiber tips look, but I'm open to all opinions!

What I'm a little confused on is; how exactly does ESS work?

I looked at Active Autowerke chip, and then I looked at ESS, and the ESS looks more like a program you upload while the Active Autowerke looks like a physical part you change?

If I picked ESS, all I do is plug it to my car, and upload the tune to it, and that's it? Does it need any sort of modifications depending on fuel/altitude/etc? Or it will be just as safe as running the stock tune?

Also, the X6M is not staying in Jacksonville .

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

The ESS tune works just like u said....plug and play. Im sure you can adjust the parameters of the tune if you know what youre doing. Honestly i believe the Akra catback is too expensive. Try RPI or Eissenmann for exhaust. I just ordered a custom catback exhaust with valves from a shop in LA called Gintani. Fat polished tips, polished pipes, remote controlled exhaust valves to make quieter or louder.
CLS55 and C6Z06 (previous rides)

Last edited by BiG22DuBz; 02-16-2012 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

There are several options available for your X6M. The Akra exhaust is pricey but definitely worth it. On the exhaust are you going for sound or performance?
Appreciate 0