E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Passenger Airbag Sensor

01-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Dashdog
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Passenger Airbag Sensor

Does anyone know what the weight limit is that determines when the passenger seat airbag goes 'on' or 'off'?

I occasionally have to put my daughter in the front seat. She weighs 55 lbs. I thought the limit was around 80 lbs, but the airbag is 'on' when she is sitting there- although it occasionally will switch 'off'. This gives me the impression that she is right on the edge of the weight limit for that sensor.
In my wife's car (a Ford Flex), it is 'off'- for her, and even for my son who is just under 80 lbs.

I'm trying to determine if the sensor is bad, or if BMW uses a different weight limit than my Ford. I would rather not have the airbags 'on' when she is sitting there, but I don't want to have the dealer ripping apart my passenger seat for no reason.

Does anyone have any good information on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Your daughter is too small to safely sit in the front seat. She should not sit in the front till she is 80lbs. My kid is 12 and 65lbs but we don't let her sit in the front because in my experience as a paramedic bad things happen when small kids ride up front.
Appreciate 0