E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake torquing or brake boosting

01-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
hammick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Brake torquing or brake boosting

I have searched these forms and on Google but can't find enough good info to make my own conclusion. I'm talking about braking and boosting from a stop to build boost for a launch. I have a 335d and people that take theirs to the track say it's the only way to get a good run.

What are people's opinions on how hard this is on your tranny? The 335d guys are boosting to 2,100 rpms and releasing the brake, only locking the converter for a couple seconds.

I haven't done this as I'm afraid I'll fry my tranny and the car will record data that I was brake boosting.

Was the launch control that I had in my '03 M3 SMG doing the same thing, just automatically? In other works, does BMW launch control in the SMG and DCT automatically apply the brakes. If so, it would arguably be just as bad for the car.

Looking forward to people's opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

My understanding is that when you do a brake torque, the torque converter is *not* locked, which is why you can raise your RPMs (same reason the car doesn't die when you come to a stop in an automatic).

As you brake torque, it creates a lot of heat, which breaks down the transmission fluid - and can eventually plug the small passage ways in the transmission causing failure. Is it going to happen the first time you do it? Probably not, but if you do it a lot, I'd make sure to have your transmission fluid changed regularly.

Having said that, I've also wondered if codes are somehow stored when you brake torque - anyone know?

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
richpike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post

Was the launch control that I had in my '03 M3 SMG doing the same thing, just automatically? In other works, does BMW launch control in the SMG and DCT automatically apply the brakes. If so, it would arguably be just as bad for the car.
Forgot to give you my opinion on this question - I believe it is very different from brake torquing an automatic. Since the SMG/DCT transmissions are just automated manuals, there is still a clutch that is not engaged when you use launch control. Basically, it is very similar to dropping the clutch in a manual transmission. The reason you use the brake to do it, is the brake acts like the launch "code" that tells the car when to dump the clutch.

Having said all that, I've never owned a car with launch control so someone can feel free to tell me I'm off in the weeds

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Rich is correct on both accounts.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
richpike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Rich is correct on both accounts.
Thanks. Any guess if the car stores a code when you brake torque?

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
hammick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

That makes sense since they are clutches manuals.
Appreciate 0