E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tune and Intake Help!

01-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Tune and Intake Help!

hey guys, so i need some insight. i am looking to get an INJEN DCI and a JB4 for my 08 e92 335xi, its under warranty and thats the only thing thats holding me back from doing those two mods. i was looking to hear from people that are running this set up with warranties, do you guys just pull it all out before you take it into the dealership? how long does it take to switch it back to stock? is there a wait period before you can put the mods back in once the car is back from the dealership?

At the same time i'm also looking for people that got busted by the dealership, what ended up happening?

Also has anyone had problems with INJEN or any other intakes shrinking pipes (not sure which ones exactly) so that the stock intake doesn't fit correctly? I remember reading stuff about that, but i am not sure how common it is.

And finally, can anybody give me some tips for this kind of stuff, for like the (un)installs, some problems i may run into, and just like any little stuff i don't want to overlook?

thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

The interaction between your mods and your warranty has been covered extensively with multiple stickies (one is at the top of this forum called "Mods and Warranty"). These will answer all of those questions but It basically works this way: under the magnuson moss act a dealer can't void your warranty for having mods. What they can do is decline to repair your already broken vehicle if they can prove that they mod you made caused the problem.

Whether they give you trouble about the mods varies between dealers. I advise that you try to learn about yours. Get cool with your SA and he probably won't care; during my last service I went in FBO and heard nothing. Until then I would advise taking all mods off the car before service and definitely remove them if you are taking the car in to have any kind of problem fixed.. You get to where you can take them all off and put them all on in 45mins. There is no wait time for your car to be remodified although it will take your computer some time to readapt to the JB4 for full power back.

I have the Injen intake and have had no problems with shrinking pipes. In fact the stock inlet pipes are barely larger than the Injen intake pipes and have stayed that way. Refitting the stock air box isn't a problem.

TIPS:
BMW clips like to break. If you feel like you're pulling too hard then you probably are.
Read the mods and warranty stickies
The injen intake involves the removal the power steering reservoir bracket which for me was a PAIN IN THE ASS. One of the bolts had broken and was spinning free so I had to channellock it and crank in that tiny ass engine bay.

Last edited by PINeely; 01-29-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep

ok thanks man. And i have read all that stuff before, just wanted to get some more personal experiences

how do you like the INJEN DCI? any problems? what tune do you run?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm running JB4. I love my intake and haven't had an issue with it. There was someone who had faulty filters on theirs once but that was a problem with the supplied Amsoil filters and it has since been solved. That said I wish that it was a little cheaper and that it didn't have an "injen" logo on it every two inches. All of the little badges just peel off and I am going to try filing down and painting the one on the air duct. Also the two filters sit pretty close to each other which makes it hard to run bigger filters if you wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep

yeah i think i read about that too, something about the filters tearing right? im just planning to use the blue ones that come with it, nothing wrong with those right?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, a little band of the fibers inside had come off so that there was a really thin opening around the filter face. Filters supplied with the Injen intake are these same Amsoil filters but that's the only time I've heard of this problem and my filters are doing great! Persoanlly I think they'd look better if they were a little bigger but they get the engine the air that it needs.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

As long as you take it out before going in, youll never have a problem.
If you get lazy and risk it, then dont come crying here telling us how they voided your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
holmes011
Lieutenant
Rep

will do
Appreciate 0