E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is This a Safe E91 Rear Jack Point?

01-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Wilhelm
Private
Rep
Drives: 3281T

Is This a Safe E91 Rear Jack Point?

Got a rubber pad and drilled a hole in it to fit tightly over the rear support bracket. Jacked up the rear from the bracket with my trusty old Lincoln jack. I've never heard that this is a safe spot to lift the rear from. I took a chance and you will be too if you try it this way.

Slipped a tight fitting 6061 T6 aluminum block into the rear hard plastic jack points on either side of the car, slid the jackstands in and lowered the car onto the jackstands.

The jack stands are approximately 11 inches at their lowest setting. Add another half inch for the aluminum blocks and the combination holds the rear wheels about 1.5" off the ground.

Do this at your own risk, it's potentially quite dangerous. You can hurt yourself seriously or damage your car. Or worse.

Comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

First picture shows the bracket and surrounding area. The rubber pad is on the far left of the picture. The rubber pad is held in place by the friction of a bolt head attached to the bracket inside a hole in the pad.

The second picture shows the end of the floor jack making contact with the rubber pad. There is a steel plate inside the end of the floor jack.

The last picture is of the jack stand placement over the aluminum block inserted inside the car's plastic jack point.

Also, if someone could tell me how to resize the pictures I'll try to do so to make this easier to read.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 02:19 AM   #2
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

I know I'm bumping a really old thread but it's informative. Central jacking points are so damn crucial. I'm sick of doing the side to side stuff with the pads.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
I know I'm bumping a really old thread but it's informative. Central jacking points are so damn crucial. I'm sick of doing the side to side stuff with the pads.
Get a pair of this.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

Expensive for jackstands? Yes! But you can pay enough for safety and peace of mind when lift up a +3500 lbs chunk of metal and glass.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Get a pair of this.

Expensive for jackstands? Yes! But you can pay enough for safety and peace of mind when lift up a +3500 lbs chunk of metal and glass.
was excited until i saw the price. seems like a better idea to just invest in a $130 HF long reach jack and regular jackstands. Safety isn't a concern with the jack since you're just using it to get the car in the air to slip jack stands under it.

that's my solution unless you dont have room for a 100lb jack.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:31 PM   #5
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Get a pair of this.

was excited until i saw the price. seems like a better idea to just invest in a $130 HF long reach jack and regular jackstands. Safety isn't a concern with the jack since you're just using it to get the car in the air to slip jack stands under it.

that's my solution unless you dont have room for a 100lb jack.
I don't. Living in a condo with multilevel parking garage. So I stuck with overpriced jack stands lol.
Appreciate 0