E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > navi inconsistent categorization

05-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Thumbs down navi inconsistent categorization

Yesterday I was trying to find a nearby Home Depot, but the closest one was really far away. Figured that some stores must have been omitted from the map.

I inadvertently discovered that some Home Depots are under "Home and Garden" while some are "Home Improvement" or something like that. :mad: And yes, the inside of the store in question was identical to others that were located under the other category.

Anyway, even a chain of identical stores may be categorized differently. So not only are the categories confusing they aren't even consistent. Thought I would pass along this handy tip for those confused by the same occurrence.

Now it behooves me to search multiple categories, even when I know what is the correct category! Ugh, if only BMW would drop this silly methodology and go for the POIs like Garmin.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
Yesterday I was trying to find a nearby Home Depot, but the closest one was really far away. Figured that some stores must have been omitted from the map.

I inadvertently discovered that some Home Depots are under "Home and Garden" while some are "Home Improvement" or something like that. :mad: And yes, the inside of the store in question was identical to others that were located under the other category.

Anyway, even a chain of identical stores may be categorized differently. So not only are the categories confusing they aren't even consistent. Thought I would pass along this handy tip for those confused by the same occurrence.

Now it behooves me to search multiple categories, even when I know what is the correct category! Ugh, if only BMW would drop this silly methodology and go for the POIs like Garmin.
That's why I wrote a small program that merges all the final categories in one big category. Like what we already have in the restaurant category, 'All restaurants.'

I wouldn't worry about what is in what category anymore. Oh, I wouldn't try to find a home depot on my restaurant category, though.
      05-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfluid View Post
That's why I wrote a small program that merges all the final categories in one big category.
Do tell. Inquiring minds . . . and all that.
      05-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

drfluid, why have you forsaken us?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

sorry I just moved from SD to SF this past weeks, so I didn't have internet for a few days... And a new job makes me really busy during days.

I'll repost as soon as I get settled in.
      05-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Mucho interested in this. I was intending to dig around the files and attempt this myself but I'm still pre v25. But since you've done it...

... what's response time like when working with one of these mega categories?
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0