BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, X5d

Running with no Tire Pressure Sensors

What exactly would happen if I run aftermarket wheels with no sensors?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM View Post
The TPMS light comes on.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
TPMS Light illuminates and Idrive (if equipped) warning lamp.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

I've done it on two winter setup's and to be honest I wish I would have just spent the $200. I hate having the orange tire illuminated on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1M View Post
TPMS Light illuminates and Idrive (if equipped) warning lamp.
That and its illegal. *Most shops will not mount wheels without TPMS because of the liability.
      01-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

I'm all for laws that curb personal freedom when it interferes with someone else's freedom.
But I absolutely hate laws that try to tell me how to live my life when what I do or don't do will not affect anyone else.
TMPS should not have become mandated.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

It's not the TPMS that is mandated, if you want to remove them yourself that's just fine, no law against it. It's the shops not being allowed to defeat things installed on the car by the manufacturer that are considered to be there for safety.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I'm all for laws that curb personal freedom when it interferes with someone else's freedom.
But I absolutely hate laws that try to tell me how to live my life when what I do or don't do will not affect anyone else.
But it does affect other people. If your tire is low, and suddenly comes off, you could easily cause an accident.
      01-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

it comes down to privilege v. responsibility. people want the privilege of driving a car, without the responsibility of maintaining it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
But it does affect other people. If your tire is low, and suddenly comes off, you could easily cause an accident.
there is no law against shitty drivers, and they cause way more accidents than tires flying off.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First...
The current incarnation of TPMS isn't what you'd expect.
The law only requires TPMS to signal you when the pressure drops by 25% or the recommended pressure.
In our cars, that could mean something close to 10psi.
I can visually tell that the tire is soft before TPMS lights up the warning.
I often can tell which front tire is low just by the way the steering wheel feels. And sure enough... it's usually only a few psi low.

Second...
Driving a car involves risks. Living involves risks. If you want to build a bubble around yourself, that's fine. But forcing others to not cause you any risk is unrealistic.
Your chances of being hit by a car while waiting at a bus stop at a busy street is higher that being affected by somebody whose tire is 10psi lower than recommended pressure.
Are we going to pass law to forbid people from going to a bus stop more than a few minutes earlier than the expected time for the bus to show up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
there is no law against shitty drivers, and they cause way more accidents than tires flying off.
Bingo.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
I have to disagree. *What sort of things would a driver have to do that you would consider "shitty"? *I'll bet that there is already a law in place. * Examples: *tailgating, cutting off people, no proper use of turn signal, talking/texting, speeding in traffic, driving slow in the left lane, etc. *Just a few "shitty" driving habits that have laws in place. *Of course nothing is 100% enforceable but the laws are there...
      01-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your chances of being hit by a car while waiting at a bus stop at a busy street...
Yeah, probably by some guy running without TPMS whose tire comes off.
      01-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, probably by some guy running without TPMS whose tire comes off.
It must not be a BMW then, because RF tires don't come off when the pressure is low.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It must not be a BMW then, because RF tires don't come off when the pressure is low.
Stop confusing the issue with facts!
      01-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
dcb
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM View Post
1M doesn't have a true TPMS that measures PSI...The system detects under-inflated tires using wheel speed sensors. I found this in the manual.

I have been using winter tires and rims for the last month and never have seen the TPMS light one...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
1M doesn't have a true TPMS that measures PSI...The system detects under-inflated tires using wheel speed sensors. I found this in the manual.

I have been using winter tires and rims for the last month and never have seen the TPMS light one...
That may be correct in Canada, but TPMS is mandated for new cars sold in the U.S. by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
dcb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
That may be correct in Canada, but TPMS is mandated for new cars sold in the U.S. by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Neil
It's definitely correct for Canada...Seems odd that BMW would create 2 different TPMS for North America...I don't think they even price different owners manuals.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
It's definitely correct for Canada...Seems odd that BMW would create 2 different TPMS for North America...I don't think they even price different owners manuals.
It appears that BMW uses the indirect method (ABS sensors to measure wheel rotation differences) for most of the world.
US legislators have determined that the indirect method isn't good enough, and mandated a direct method (using pressure sensors inside the tires), so BMW cars sold in the US are equipped with both.
The US manual has an added paragraph on the sensors. It's really confusing, as having the sensors makes the indirect method unnecessary. But the manual talks about both and it's not clear which method is responsible for turning on the warning lights and when.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
dcb
Private
Rep

Quote:
It appears that BMW uses the indirect method (ABS sensors to measure wheel rotation differences) for most of the world.
US legislators have determined that the indirect method isn't good enough, and mandated a direct method (using pressure sensors inside the tires), so BMW cars sold in the US are equipped with both.
The US manual has an added paragraph on the sensors. It's really confusing, as having the sensors makes the indirect method unnecessary. But the manual talks about both and it's not clear which method is responsible for turning on the warning lights and when.
Wow, that is bonkers. I guess I should be happy...My last car had the light on 5 months out of the year! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Arguing that a safety item should not be mandated is a tough act..
20 years ago... you might have said that airbags should not have been mandated ..
doesn't sound like such a smart thing to say today..

Quote:
First...
I can visually tell that the tire is soft before TPMS lights up the warning.
I often can tell which front tire is low just by the way the steering wheel feels. And sure enough... it's usually only a few psi low.
unfortuntately... most SUV, large sedan, and many econocar drivers could never detect subtle things like this.
And some of the super stiff sidewalls on lower profile tires make it even harder to detect a low tire by looking at it.

I literally tonight just had to go change the wheel and tire on my spouse's Subaru because she drove it with a low tire until the tire came off the bead. This is the SECOND time she has done this... the last time the rim cut through the tire and her first indication was the tire carcass passing her on the road. Yeah.. true story.
This time the wheel appears relatively unscathed.. last time it was ground down but was able to be repaired by Wheels America ... I also bought another wheel and made the repaired wheel the full size spare I just installed..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-10-2012 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

^^ People like to throw the word "safety" as a justification for anything.
Go to an elementary school and try to ask why they mandate a certain dress code and they will use the safety card promptly, to shut you up.
Safety justifies all the stupidity we see in this country.
Take a step back and look at other countries. They don't mandate TPMS and they are still alive. Of course they don't have the litigious society that we have here. :mad:

You might say Electronic Traction Control (DSC) is a safety feature as well. I'd argue it's much more so than TPMS. Yet, it's not mandated. What gives?
Hint: safety be damned. It's all about the industry lobbyists.
Appreciate 0