F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Why is everyone ordering a LINE and not building up from the base model?
proTUNING Freaks

01-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Why is everyone ordering a LINE and not building up from the base model?

Just wondering...I don't think anyone posted a base build-up yet.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

model lines ftw
      01-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
joeh9290
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott

Thx.
Because people can afford better than a base build lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh9290 View Post
Because people can afford better than a base build lol
I dont' understand this response; have you tried pricing both approaches?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The biggest reason is probably that most people are not happy with the two interior choices, single wheel choice, and single interior trim choice you are limited to if you do not select one of the trim lines. Additionally, some probably don't like the black window trim or the chrome grill surround on the base model.

Also the sport suspension can only be had with the sport line.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The biggest reason is probably that most people are not happy with the two interior choices, single wheel choice, and single interior trim choice you are limited to if you do not select one of the trim lines. Additionally, some probably don't like the black window trim or the chrome grill surround on the base model.

Also the sport suspension can only be had with the sport line.

Something tells me you're right but I really hope you're wrong. There are several stickys up there, including a video interview, that state you can order "whatever you want" in a base model.

...looking forward to seeing the US configurator which some claim is on its way during or following the Detroit show next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Base model is too limited in choices. Gotta have those turbine wheels!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post

Thx.
I ordered a 335i ZSL for ED because I really wanted the paddles in the sport transmission and you can't get 'em in the US without Sport line.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
Something tells me you're right but I really hope you're wrong. There are several stickys up there, including a video interview, that state you can order "whatever you want" in a base model.
I know that what's some people keep repeating, but I've been trying like hell over the past few months to keep it real and demonstrate how those statements are actually misleading.

To be fair, I think that what was originally meant by those statements is that, from a functional point of view, you can still get whatever you want. That is to say that you can still get ZPP, ZTP, ZCW, nav, upgraded radio, PDC, etc, on a base car. In other words, you can get all the bells and whistles you are used to. However, it still ends up being a misleading statement over all, since from an aesthetic point of view you are indeed extremely limited. And as I said, you also can't add sport suspension (nor seats for that matter) - i.e. there is no "sport package" anymore that just adds sporting features to the car without pigeon-holing you into specific interior colors and configurations.

Quote:
...looking forward to seeing the US configurator which some claim is on its way during or following the Detroit show next week.
The US order guide is already available. See the sticky at the top of this forum. It was the source of the information in my previous post. Could things still change? I suppose, sure, it is technically possible. But I would not count on that at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I am going to order the base model. I really love the sport line, but wanted black dakota leather without the red stitching. My only other option was ZLL, but I prefer the base wheels to the ZLL wheels. So, it was a tradeoff, but for me, the base was the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
I know that what's some people keep repeating, but I've been trying like hell over the past few months to keep it real and demonstrate how those statements are actually misleading.

To be fair, I think that what was originally meant by those statements is that, from a functional point of view, you can still get whatever you want. That is to say that you can still get ZPP, ZTP, ZCW, nav, upgraded radio, PDC, etc, on a base car. In other words, you can get all the bells and whistles you are used to. However, it still ends up being a misleading statement over all, since from an aesthetic point of view you are indeed extremely limited. And as I said, you also can't add sport suspension (nor seats for that matter) - i.e. there is no "sport package" anymore that just adds sporting features to the car without pigeon-holing you into specific interior colors and configurations.
I think you summed it up.

I personally think the lines are a horrible idea and are limiting but the base is even more limiting to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
I am going to order the base model. I really love the sport line, but wanted black dakota leather without the red stitching. My only other option was ZLL, but I prefer the base wheels to the ZLL wheels. So, it was a tradeoff, but for me, the base was the way to go.
This is the problem...having to trade off one thing for another.

I really like the Modern line wheels and exterior pieces but I can't stomach the dark oyster wheel and dash. I also really want sport seats and anthracite headliner but I don't love the red contrast stitching. Either way I'm forced to choose the best option and will have to deal with things I might not like.

These lines are a clever way to make people think they are getting more individualitzation when in reality BMW has streamlined possible combinations.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
This is the problem...having to trade off one thing for another.

I really like the Modern line wheels and exterior pieces but I can't stomach the dark oyster wheel and dash. I also really want sport seats and anthracite headliner but I don't love the red contrast stitching. Either way I'm forced to choose the best option and will have to deal with things I might not like.

These lines are a clever way to make people think they are getting more individualitzation when in reality BMW has streamlined possible combinations.
I agree, I do like the modern line too, but there is only one option for the interior, oyster. Unfortunately, I think I may have problems keeping it clean with my black labrador.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree, I do like the modern line too, but there is only one option for the interior, oyster. Unfortunately, I think I may have problems keeping it clean with my black labrador.
You can get black for the interior too but the top of the dash and wheel remain dark oyster...which is odd to me
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Get the M-Sport. Black leather in that line (LCSW) has no red stitching like Sport Line (LCL5).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Fully agree.

Outside US there is much more flexibility, like getting Sport suspension and Sport transmission, Xenons, and + 19" wheels on base model 328i if you want.

BMWNA has foced these limitations on us. In fact, you cannot even get the 328i Barcelone press drive configuraiton in the US. (OK, everything is available except the 19" wheels, AFAIK.)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Quote:

To be fair, I think that what was originally meant by those statements is that, from a functional point of view, you can still get whatever you want......However, it still ends up being a misleading statement over all, since from an aesthetic point of view you are indeed extremely limited.
Here's another example of why all this is so confusing; an interview with "BMW board member Harald Krüger" by an embarrassingly gushing "reporter" in which they both comment on how you can order the car "EXACTLY the way you want" and that the lines are "just suggested packages".

Go to 4:12 on the video immediately below the intro... http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612947

If you're right and ordering outside the lines is indeed strictly limited, then the statements in the video aren't just misleading, they're deliberately deceptive.

Makes you wonder who if anyone is running BMW marketing these days.

Last edited by Ron Scott; 01-06-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

I got a 335I sport line it's beautiful. Black exterior/Red leather
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 328, e36 m3

The sport seats will probably be a deciding factor for me. Im going to need to sit in them and see if they are that much better for a longer commute than the base seats. If not, then ill be saving myself some money... or ill get the premium sound and parking package!
Appreciate 0