E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New and starting out with body mods.

01-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
enidpcs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 328Xi 6spd

New and starting out with body mods.

I have been a member of vehicle forums for years as I'm always buying something. Currently we have a 99 E36 Convertible 328 with M tech and an 07 E90 Sedan 328xi 6spd with just under 36k. On the 3rd of Dec a lady hit us in a Dodge Journey. Rear ended @ 40~. The E90 held up well, I've got to admit. The insurance company (hers) has had it towed to an Infiniti dealer as we don't have any BMW dealers with body shops.
Thus far they have completed the tear down and are convinced that it's 11.5k in damage. They have advised us that they will not be painting the whole car and that alarms me a bit. Not that I'm a body man or anywhere near it, but I have heard that metallic silver is a pain to blend as the flake not going the same direction is very noticeable. They had to order structural components from BMW for the trunk area but stated the frame wasn't bent. Sure looks bent to me? What should I look for when I get the car back? I've never been in this situation before. What should I look for with diminished value and loss of use? They are estimating this as a 100 man hour job.
Thanks for any input.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

It looks like the body took the brunt of the impact and not the bumper, which is where the frame is.

I would no worry about having the car repainted, its not going to happen, regardless of color.

The left rear quarter panel does look cockeyed though where it meets the door, could be issue once they get into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
enidpcs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 328Xi 6spd

I sure hope the repair turns out well. We love the car, and can't seem to find anything that I would be willing to replace it with. Thanks for the reply btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
New driver's quarter panel, new rear panel, new decklid, new window, possible repair passenger side quarter panel, new tail lights. The insurance is correct on this repair though, the whole car will not be repainted. You can either live with the blend that they will do or pay the difference to have it completely painted.
Appreciate 0