E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > new update, no POI

05-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Unhappy new update, no POI

I had my car in for service, due to some buggy Navi/Sat radio issues and I thought I would get the latest electronic update (is this called Progman?).

Some recent threads have indicated some POI functionality with this revision. I did some limited experimentation and this is my conclusion.

There is No "POI" functionality whatsoever (as compared to a conventional unit like say Garmin).

The new update only allows a further extension of the already too heirarchial methodology for finding POIs. For example, if I type in the company name of a POI from the wrong category, it will not find it.

The only hypothetical value I can find of this new update is in the event one finds it painful to scroll through many POIs within a bottom-level category, then typing the name, or part of the name, can further restrict the search more quickly.

However, since my problem is simply not knowing which category the POI belongs, not the quantity of entries, per se, this offers no added value.

Perhaps the "meat" of the POI is really found in the Navi CD, which is unchanged for me. Does anyone have the new update with a new CD, that can comment? But in that case, then the progman would need to be updated with a POI name entry at the top level, methinks.

BTW, I didn't notice any other useful enhancements, but if there are some I would be happy to know!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I think you can only search for POI within categories, so you need to know what category your POI belongs to, before searching. It's an improvement over the other software versions that didn't have that at all, but not enough.

Sometimes I wonder what the BMW engineers are smoking !! :mad:
Why couldn't they place the POI search at the top of the categories? :mad:

I will be getting the new software installed in a couple of days so I cannot comment much yet, but as far as I know the colors, display and the clarity of the screen should be much better along with faster iDrive response.
      05-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

this is still POI search, which did not exist at all in previous versions...yes its lame, but far better than before.

There are plenty of additional enhancements as well, look in the dozen other threads on this topic.
      05-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
poiney
Captain
Rep

Hmm... Seems like it only restricts the subcategory -- which again, is only useful for large sub categories. Maybe a 5% improvement?

If I'm not mistaken, it seems that I only need to open my door handle once now to open the door, so maybe there are some benefits.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

for me its a major addition...
...here are some other things I noticed:

1. Map stays up when restarting car (dont have to go back thru menus)
2. POI search now
3. Audio sources now go instantly to source, no need to enter "play"
4. Arrow pops up when navigating on smaller screen
5. Route line on map is now much clearer
6. Bluetooth connects faster
7. On the nav screen, you can no longer click the "i" symbol on the left to turn off the icons. Now, it brings up another menu w/ options to turn on/off icons or search for other POI's...not as easy as the previos version, but more options.
8. BLUETOOTH- this is totally redone. You can now select "Start Pairing" in the IDrive (this wasnt possible before) There is also 3-4 new menu options including "Help". Overall, the pairing is quicker on my phone, and the bt connection happens alot faster when you enter the vehicle.
9. The CD interface is totally changed. The CD does not continue playing when you shut off the vehicle anymore.
10. Voice Commands seem to work better.
      05-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post

If I'm not mistaken, it seems that I only need to open my door handle once now to open the door, so maybe there are some benefits.
Not here...first pull unlocks the door, second opens it. Maybe your door wasnt locked. This is the way its supposed to work.
      05-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX View Post
Not here...first pull unlocks the door, second opens it. Maybe your door wasnt locked. This is the way its supposed to work.
+1

And FWIW, I'd say the POI search, while not great, is a much bigger improvement than just "5%." Before, if I wanted to find a Costco or Best Buy, I'd have to scroll through hundreds of entries, hoping it jumped out at me. Now, I can enter the first few letters and pull up all the nearby stores beginning with that name. Seriously, a huge improvement IMO.

Also, was the arrow display on the main window there before? I don't remember it before the update, and I find it useful. Oh, and another thing - there's now a check box in the settings to turn on/off the pop-up arrows.
      05-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
Silver bullet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

My 330i just had the 25.02 update and I agree with all the improvments that X5FX pointed out except I lost all bluetooth function.
2006 330i, Titanium silver, Black leather, Factory “M” Aerodynamic kit, 162 wheels w/runflats, Sport package, Premium package, cold weather package, Active steering, I drive Navigation, BMW assist, Motorola E815 Verizon Bluetooth, sun glasses storage modification, 35% Formulaone ceramic tint
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 01:08 AM   #9
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:

2. POI search now
7. On the nav screen, you can no longer click the "i" symbol on the left to turn off the icons. Now, it brings up another menu w/ options to turn on/off icons or search for other POI's...not as easy as the previos version, but more options.
8. BLUETOOTH- this is totally redone. You can now select "Start Pairing" in the IDrive (this wasnt possible before) There is also 3-4 new menu options including "Help". Overall, the pairing is quicker on my phone, and the bt connection happens alot faster when you enter the vehicle.
9. The CD interface is totally changed. The CD does not continue playing when you shut off the vehicle anymore.

Finally, a more complete review of the new Progman 25.xx

Thanks!
      05-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #10
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Isn't there a feature that allows you to search all subcategories of a particular category? My car is still on the boat, but when I was in Europe on ED, I had no idea which things would be in which categories, and I remember having no trouble at all searching for things like the Schloss Neuschwanstein (which turns out is listed as a "Historical Place").
      05-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

keep in mind I have an X5, so your mileage mary vary slightly.

another item I found;
If you turn off the A/C and restart the car, the A/C came back on...this is now fixed and the A/C stays turned off.
      05-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #12
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
another item I found;
If you turn off the A/C and restart the car, the A/C came back on...this is now fixed and the A/C stays turned off.
That wasn't an issue on the E90, at least on mine. Unless you change keys, in which case it sets the climate control at the settings that were on when that key was used last.

Another thing that v25 does differently - when you start, shut down, or mute a CD or radio, instead of "instant" volume on or off, there is a slight delay of maybe a half-second and then the volume rapidly turns up or down. Meaning that (if you could assign numbers) the volume is at "10" then you hit mute, instead of going from 10 to 0 immediately, it goes 10-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0 quickly. Same thing in reverse when you unmute or turn on the car. I don't know if anyone else has noticed that or if my ears are particularly sensitive.

I also notice that the car gives the engine a bit more gas when starting up (right when the ignition fires, it revs up to like 2500 when it used to rev to maybe 1500, after that RPMs are normal). I don't know if that's the software or just coincidental that my car has been doing that since the update.
      05-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
poiney
Captain
Rep

Quote:

2. POI search now

2. I wonder whether anyone has written a user's guide that provides more details to the category headings to improve the probability of getting to the right category. My hit rate is pretty low actually.

3. Improvement
4. I thought it did this already, but I can't remember. Anyway, if not this is an improvement
5. Agreed, the map is clearer/better, which suprises me since I would have thought a new CD would be necessary
7. I prefer the old way
8.9. Don't use these much
10. Time will tell. My goal is to get the spelling feature to work reliably. Haven't tried this out yet.

Having a good POI function like my Garmin represents most of the benefit for my Navi. Also, most people have commented a speed improvement, that I haven't noticed. In fact, the time to switch Sat radio stations seems a bit slower. Overall, I've re-evaluated and given it 7% improvement.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #14
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
Having a good POI function like my Garmin represents most of the benefit for my Navi.
well unfortunatly, I would not expect this to ever work like a Garmin...this is a BMW afterall.
      05-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #15
taichimaster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MT

Sorry for the thread hijack. The other day I was trying to find AutoZone, Kragen, Pepboys kind of stores, but couldn't for the longest time find out what category they are in (couldn't find them in the "Hardware" category"....any idea for future reference?
Mods: V-Kool Tint | Hartge Front Lip | Blacklines | M-Sport Steering Wheel | 19" Linea Corse Z2S | KW Variant 2 | OEM Aluminum pedals | OEM Short Shift Knob | Rear Foglights Mod | Happy Robot Mod | Valentine 1 (hard-wired) | Zeckhausen CDV | LUX 2.0 | GruppeM Replica Intake | Remus PowerSound 2x76mm
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #16
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

automotive
      05-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
poiney
Captain
Rep

I guess I'm going to have to make a cheat sheet for POI-OIs categories so that I don't have to find these on the fly. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #18
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
automotive
I don't think so?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #19
jimi_hoffa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Alpine White M-Sport

Can also make a backup DVD, except on the backup edit all the POIs to have the same category. That way when you search you search everything. Can rock that disc 95% of the time, and put the master disc in for the 5% of the time that you want to browse lists to see what you can choose from, or display all gas stations, dept stores, etc on navi.

shrug just an idea
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #20
16520Man
On BMW #7 and counting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Lotus Elise

Garage List
2005 Elise  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I just got the update yesterday. Here are some craptacular pics of the new displays and fonts:

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #21
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

What's the difference? I can't tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #22
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16520Man View Post
I just got the update yesterday. Here are some craptacular pics of the new displays and fonts:
I think the font in the small window on dash got bigger and looks much nicer. I have 06 e90, so what do I know?