E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Nembie sharing future Coil Pack / Coil advice on my 318i

01-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
BMWGBUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 318i SE

Thumbs up Nembie sharing future Coil Pack / Coil advice on my 318i

Ive been around some time but re-joined to share my recent experience as I did search but to very little avail!

I started my 09 318i ES and sounded immediately like a diesel! But slightly worse than a diesel whereby the gear stick wobbled a great deal

I went to pull away and was very juddery and had the yellow engine management light come on and eventually flashed.

As per the BMW handbook - the car is drivable but must be checked ASAP (there was no red stop or red engine management light)

Thankfully this happened on my drive so a quick call to BMW Emergency and within a few hours the technician came out. They knew immediately without a shadow of a doubt (even the delightful lady telephonist did too) it was a misfire and the engine shuts the suspect cylinder down. And I was told 99% of the time its the ignition coils (Bosch) which are known to be faulty prematurely! Revised Bosch parts are carried on the Customer Services van and fitment doesnt take long at all.

It seemed BMW Emergency was preferred as a fix despite being able to drive to the nearest dealer - their choice and I didnt complain at all (under warranty so £FOC)

The telephonist did say on the phone it is drivable at low speeds and pulling away will be tricky plus the ECU wont let it rev above 2,000 rpm for protection.

Cutting long story (but im sure interesting if you have the same fault and found this via Search!)

The revised part no (you will need 4 off) is 12137594935. I believe they're £45ish each
Just remove engine plastic cover, pop off the leads to the coils, pop off the coil from the plug and voila!

After fitting the revised parts you must visit the dealer for a software update which is a know cure to lengthen the life of the new coils (and some have said also fixes poor MPG prior to coil failure)

HTH!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
bbstoke
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [10.00]
Got the same problem this morning,will they all need replacing as I understand there are six of them? Is it vital to have the software update? I'm not taking it to BMW,taking it a friend mechanic who's a beemer whizz and shed loads cheaper :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
BMWGBUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 318i SE

Sorry only just seen this

Im sure there are only 4 considering we have 4 cylinders!

FYI it was Cyl 3 playing up
They could have just replaced Cyl 3 coil - but known fault with the early Bosch ones apparently

Supposed software update would be to improve reliability - so those that the same fault every year need to consider it.

The other bit of software update was to check the spark plugs I guess as the service man said they usually have to change them.

I only had 1 new spark plug on Cyl 3 replaced (no clue why)

thats all i know!
Appreciate 0