E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Couple of questions for E92 heads ..

12-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Couple of questions for E92 heads ..

I just completed my 2nd full week driving the car. It's absolutely a blast to drive. Finally owning a MT car gives me a perspective of why some refuse to get a BMW with a A/T. Which brings me to my first question:

Every once in a while, I cannot completely put the stick in 1st gear .. it's almost as if it's "mostly" in gear, and I can feel it slip completely in first gear when I take off. This doesn't happen in other gear, nor does the car does anything strange when driving. Is this normal? I hear that the stock gearbox is on the notchy side, which makes me wonder if this just how it is. But I want to know if it's a early symptom of something a bit more serious.

My next question proves that I'm a complete newbie. I have just about every major package (sport, convenience, cold weather, premium). When I press the "BMW" key, I see the lights flash, and hear the doors lock; but no sound. On my friend's E92, the horn sounds for a split second when he locks his door. I also notice a little red light flashing in the dashboard, where mine has no such light.

Question is .. do I actually have an alarm system on my car? :/

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
kred
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i 6mt

My manual 328i also does the same thing sometimes while trying to get into first gear. It's even worse because of the short shifter kit.

For the other question, yes you do. All BMW's (from what I know) come prewired but need to be activated? by a dealer, etc. You can easily tell if the "clown nose" flashes red when locked.
      12-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kred View Post

For the other question, yes you do. All BMW's (from what I know) come prewired but need to be activated? by a dealer, etc. You can easily tell if the "clown nose" flashes red when locked.
Partly true, newer BMWs don't come prewired for the alarm.
Only way to make the chirp sound when locking/unlocking is if you have the alarm installed and activated.
      12-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 i4 M50

Garage List
My 1st does that too. I think the gears just don't align exactly all the time, so I just shift it to another gear to re-align and then shift back to 1st and it always goes in all the way when I do that.