E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Keyless Start Question

12-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW M4

Keyless Start Question

Hi everyone.

Merry Xmas.

Is there any way around to not having to put the key in the slot if you haven't got comfort access and still be able to start the car by pressing the start button?

I have already read that if you put your key in and start the engine and then take the key out you can restart the engine without putting the key back in if you press the start button within 5 seconds of taking the key out. This is not my question!

Is there any way around not needing to put the key in at all to start the car? Are there any modifications that can be made to the car or is there anything you can install to get around this?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

I really don't think you can without comfort access. CA includes transmitters and antennas to scan the car for the CA key. It prevents you from locking your car with the key in it (tested this out by accident last time I was at the airport awaiting the shuttle - car beeped at me and it quickly unlatched the trunk right after I closed it)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
I really don't think you can without comfort access. CA includes transmitters and antennas to scan the car for the CA key. It prevents you from locking your car with the key in it (tested this out by accident last time I was at the airport awaiting the shuttle - car beeped at me and it quickly unlatched the trunk right after I closed it)
Thanks but i'm not bothered about having to use the key to unlock the car. I just want to be able to start the car without having to put the key in the ignition.

Here is a link to a kit advertised to be able to allow you to have keyless start. The question is will it work in our BMW's which already have start/stop buttons. See link please.http://www.ultimatecarparts.co.uk/ke...FegmtAodmHgrlA
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
roberts5831
thats what she said...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snawaz View Post
Thanks but i'm not bothered about having to use the key to unlock the car. I just want to be able to start the car without having to put the key in the ignition.

Here is a link to a kit advertised to be able to allow you to have keyless start. The question is will it work in our BMW's which already have start/stop buttons. See link please.http://www.ultimatecarparts.co.uk/ke...FegmtAodmHgrlA
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ok now i know what your talking about.

my friend has the feature in his nissan 370Z. he can have his key in his pocket, and open the car door with a button ouside the door. and then sit down and start the car without having a key slot.

im sure this is possible, but the question is; how much modification is required?

happpy holidays,
Ryan

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Frenk
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i X-Drive M-Sport

it could be possible, I mean if the car allow you to start the car w/out key seconds after you started the car with the key, why not code the car to make it believe the key was there.

But then, every one could steal your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenk View Post
it could be possible, I mean if the car allow you to start the car w/out key seconds after you started the car with the key, why not code the car to make it believe the key was there.

But then, every one could steal your car.
Please don't confuse the thread. I'm really trying to find a solution to this problem. If you read the link to the keyless go kit it does say it will only work if you have central locking and it then somehow activates the keyless start button once the central locking is operated. So I am assuming you still have security.

What kind of place/technician would do this kind of work?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I don't see how this would bypass the level of encryption the key has when it pairs with the computer when it goes into the slot
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Maybe if you have the key on your person, which you would. Surely other cars that are able to use this system still have an encryption chip in the key which has to be recognised to allow the engine to start!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
It looks like this system works similar to a remote start, if you look at the photos it has a wiring diagram and what looks like a secondary key placed under the dash, the problem with this type of system or any other remote start using a second key is just that, you are leaving a key in the car.

it says it uses the central lock to enable or disable the system so all i can figure is that the module uses a power line and when the car gets the proper lock/unlock signal and passes the power through the line it activates the bypass

All i know is that many installers won't mess with the ignition system on our cars and even a proper remote start is costly so i can only imagine what the cost here would be, nor is there any indication of the quality of the system.

Sorry not trying to burst your bubble just letting you know what I can see or have been told.
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Interesting that it would need a fake key in the car for the remote start. On my current Ford Remote Start System, which is a non factory part but is still a Ford part I ordered through and had installed by my dealer, it uses a ring device that sticks around the ignition key (but is hidden) to send the key signal to allow the car to start. The device is non functional unless the remote start device activates it, so even if the Fusion Hybrid had a push button start, it wouldn't allow for the car to be stolen (well, unless the thief found the box in the dash and somehow made it send the signal, but I doubt that would be very easy).

You'd think the remote start manufacturers could come up with a similar solution for the BMW keyless system. As far as the car is concerned, it's just another key, it doesn't have a camera that looks at it to make sure it optically looks right. Just stick an antenna on the slot but in the dash and have the remote start device tell it what to transmit. When the remote start device isn't being used, there wouldn't be a signal telling the car a key exists, so the push button ignition would be refused.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
poorboysjon
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 328

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
This might help

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Merry Xmas.

Is there any way around to not having to put the key in the slot if you haven't got comfort access and still be able to start the car by pressing the start button?

I have already read that if you put your key in and start the engine and then take the key out you can restart the engine without putting the key back in if you press the start button within 5 seconds of taking the key out. This is not my question!

Is there any way around not needing to put the key in at all to start the car? Are there any modifications that can be made to the car or is there anything you can install to get around this?

Hey this might help, it does involve a remote starter. Any good installer should be able to do this. The parts you will need are an Fortin INT BMW2 and an Fortin Evo Can + a remote starter. The Int Bmw2 interfaces with your factory ignition. It allows you to remote start and drive away with out putting the key in the slot. This only works if unlocked with the remote starter.

http://www.ifar.ca
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Please don't confuse the thread. I'm really trying to find a solution to this problem. If you read the link to the keyless go kit it does say it will only work if you have central locking and it then somehow activates the keyless start button once the central locking is operated. So I am assuming you still have security.

What kind of place/technician would do this kind of work?
Can't see how this is possible without interfering with something. Dumbest system ever. By adding the "cool" start/stop button they have added a step. Doesnt make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboysjon View Post
Hey this might help, it does involve a remote starter. Any good installer should be able to do this. The parts you will need are an Fortin INT BMW2 and an Fortin Evo Can + a remote starter. The Int Bmw2 interfaces with your factory ignition. It allows you to remote start and drive away with out putting the key in the slot. This only works if unlocked with the remote starter.

http://www.ifar.ca
Thank you. I really appreciate this. I'm looking for something without a remote starter. I have read the installation manual and it appears you maybe able to have just the push to start function. I'm not sure so I have asked this question to the company and I am awaiting a response. But sounds really promising!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

In theory you could take the slot you put your key in and remove it and place it back under the dash and put a spare key in it. Then you could put a dummy slot there. You would still lock your car with the key but it would always be active so if you didn't lock the car someone could go in and drive away. You can try this out by leaving a key in. I know that you will still have to hold the brake to start.

This would do exactly what the link above would do.
Appreciate 0