E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OK, I have no idea what just happened....

12-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
ErinFaulk
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Exclamation OK, I have no idea what just happened....

Hi guys,

Not sure what just happened I was driving down interstate 95....I went to pass a few people I was probably going about 105mph (dont judge me, I had to get around these people they were going 2). Once I get around I hear a sound that takes me back to the multiple times that I have gotten a flat tire. I scream and then proceed to pull over. I get out the car check the tires, none of them are flat and the FTM did not go off.

So I thank God , hoping it was just my imagination. So then I pull back on the highway and go around 70, about 4 miles up the road I hear the noise again. It only lasts for a minute, then stops.

I just slow down and drive to my parents because I am only 2 miles away and I look at the car, the tires, undercarriage. No visible issues.

What gives?! Anyone heard of an issue like this? Sounds like a flat tire, like you are riding on a rim, but nothing is flat.

Any help or insight is much appreciated.
      12-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

maybe a bearing needs to be replaced on one of the wheels... i'm not an expert; just throwing ideas out there. How many miles are on your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
ErinFaulk
Rep

Thanks for replying. Around 53,000 miles!
      12-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinFaulk View Post
Hi guys,

Not sure what just happened I was driving down interstate 95....I went to pass a few people I was probably going about 105mph (dont judge me, I had to get around these people they were going 2). Once I get around I hear a sound that takes me back to the multiple times that I have gotten a flat tire. I scream and then proceed to pull over. I get out the car check the tires, none of them are flat and the FTM did not go off.

So I thank God , hoping it was just my imagination. So then I pull back on the highway and go around 70, about 4 miles up the road I hear the noise again. It only lasts for a minute, then stops.

I just slow down and drive to my parents because I am only 2 miles away and I look at the car, the tires, undercarriage. No visible issues.

What gives?! Anyone heard of an issue like this? Sounds like a flat tire, like you are riding on a rim, but nothing is flat.

Any help or insight is much appreciated.
It's God telling you to slow the fuck down and think of others on the road. Merry Christmas, better to get there late in this life than early in the next.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
xe90x
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeFranco1 View Post
It's God telling you to slow the fuck down and think of others on the road. Merry Christmas, better to get there late in this life than early in the next.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool4yooh View Post
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
engage overtake and then pull over. lol fail. haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
Quote:
engage overtake and then pull over. lol fail. haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

You said not to judge, but I'm judging. Slow down, buddy. You're gonna kill someone. You never "have" to pass anyone. Your life and the lives of others... they're worth infinitely more than the two minutes you tried (and failed) to save.

Everyone likes to drive fast, we have great cars for it. That's what the track is for. I-95 is not an appropriate venue.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

maybe one of the fender liners, bumper or underside panels is loose and only flaps at speed? window/sunroof seal pulling off/open at speed? is your hood latch down fully?

more info...
vibrations? if so where were they felt? steering wheel? shifter? seat of the pants? any stability issues? and issues with with air inside the car as in did you feel any large air pressure changes?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
xe90x
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I like how everyone isn't helping her with her situation but telling her to slow the fuck down lol

Last edited by xe90x; 12-24-2011 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Poor guy/ gal (assuming it's a gal due to the screaming when it happened ) but seriously...now I am starting to feel bad here...allow me to clarify things.

Listen, we're not trying to rag on the OP, I for one just care really.

I would hate to see anybody get hurt, especially around the holiday season, or worse yet, killed over something that is completely preventable.

Have a Happy Holiday and best wishes for a SAFE and prosperous New Year to you and your family Erin.

Good luck in resolving your issue too- I'm sure some knowledgeable soul will chime in with the solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
xe90x
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Poor guy/ gal (assuming it's a gal due to the screaming when it happened ) but seriously...now I am starting to feel bad here...allow me to clarify things.

Listen, we're not trying to rag on the OP, I for one just care really.

I would hate to see anybody get hurt, especially around the holiday season, or worse yet, killed over something that is completely preventable.

Have a Happy Holiday and best wishes for a SAFE and prosperous New Year to you and your family Erin.

Good luck in resolving your issue too- I'm sure some knowledgeable soul will chime in with the solution.

Well put.. Last thing anyone want is a ruined Christmas. Take it easy and Merry Christmas. If the problem keeps happening, take it to the dealer and ask
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
ErinFaulk
Rep

Yes, I am a woman. Merry Christmas to you as well. Back to the subject at hand.

@avocet: I took a peek under the car if I could see or feel anything that may be loose, I might not have been able to reach everything. However, I did not see or feel anything. I will get it on a lift to check everything on Monday. There were no vibrations, just the thump thump sound of a flat. I did not feel a change in air pressure or loss of stability or control. It was really odd.
      12-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinFaulk View Post
Yes, I am a woman.
In that case, you are already handicapped at driving, so please slow down.

I KID, I KID!

Srsly tho... slow down. At that speed, suppose you were in an accident that someone ELSE on the road caused by their own bad driving -- you would still potentially be on the hook for serious criminal and civil penalties along with the practical consequences of whatever physical destruction took place. I used to be a prosecutor... if I had a case come to me where someone was driving 100+ and there was (god forbid) loss of life involved, I'd automatically charge reckless homicide. There's a presumption that you're at fault when you're going that speed. It IS. NOT. WORTH. IT.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #16
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

on another car i had once forgotten to tighten the lug nuts and swore it felt like i was driving on a flat. couldn't tell they were loose by looking, plus with the weight of the car on the wheel it didn't move or anything when i kicked the thing. i had to actually try tightening the lugs to realize they weren't torqued.

our bmw wheels are hubcentric, so theoretically the weight is resting on the hub and loose lug bolts wouldn't cause the same effect until they backed out enough for the wheel to clear the lip of the hub, but who knows, check those fuckers.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
on another car i had once forgotten to tighten the lug nuts and swore it felt like i was driving on a flat. couldn't tell they were loose by looking, plus with the weight of the car on the wheel it didn't move or anything when i kicked the thing. i had to actually try tightening the lugs to realize they weren't torqued.

our bmw wheels are hubcentric, so theoretically the weight is resting on the hub and loose lug bolts wouldn't cause the same effect until they backed out enough for the wheel to clear the lip of the hub, but who knows, check those fuckers.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
ErinFaulk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post

Thanks Mike!

I will check that. Can change in temperature cause lugs to loosen? Because my wheels have not been touched since last month when I got an oil changed and I had them take a peek at my brakes. They removed 3 of 4 wheels, one of the wheels was pretty much seized on there. I have an appointment to go back after the new year, I might try to get in there sooner.
      12-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

ah the plot thickens!!!

whenever something goes sideways, the first thing to ask is "what was recently messed with"!

does turning have any effect? side loading a loose wheel while moving generally causes symptoms to manifest themselves.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
ErinFaulk
Rep

Turning has no effect. I dont have a torque wrench at my parents house, I will try to get a relative to bring one tomorrow.
      12-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #21
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Maybe its road debris. On a side note I don't see why you guys care about her going 100. It's not a big deal in these cars. If it was a civic or my friends 2002 camry then it would be crazy. Seriously I almost soiled myself in that car.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
ENGINE er
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 S13 UZJ100 MKV-GTI

Was the frequency different at 70 vs 105?

No? Then I think you have a rod bearing letting go. See if you can replicate in the driveway. If it was THAT loud, and caused no feeling in the steering, chances are pretty good it isn't a hard part on the suspension. If its not repeatable in the driveway, I would put it on a lift and inspect all underside plastic, we have a lot. When one of those let go, it sounds awful.
Appreciate 0