E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering Angle Sensor...

12-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
aweesner
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Steering Angle Sensor...

Hi folks - I have been told I need a new steering angle sensor as a bunch of lights are blowing up on my dash. I would like to buy a used one but can't figure out exactly what the part is or what it looks like. I have attached two images both of which are described as steering angle sensors for BMW 330i

Can anyone help, thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

hey, first off, who said you need a new one? dealer? have you tried having associated dsc modules recoded or cleaning the optical steering sensor (theres a DIY somewhere on here).

anyway, theres 2 sensors, one is behind the steering wheel in the steering column and has a clear plastic disc with an optical sensor that reads pits on that disc to determine angle, this is the one people have cleaned with success. it looks like the small pic in your post (see the control stalks for wipers and turn signals sticking out on that pic). This one is called an SZL sensor. if you replace this, the system will need to be recoded and the car possibly aligned at the same time.

the other is down low on the steering rack.

google szl sensor and read up.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

There nothing on the rack on an E9x vehical. It's all in the steering wheel hub. Also, you can't take one from one car to another without coding. Alignment is also not needed unless there was a suspension issue to start with.
      12-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
aweesner
Rep

Thanks for your reply. I would be interested in taking a shot at cleaning the sensor. I have not had any luck finding the DIY for cleaning. Would you mind sending the link if you have it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
aweesner
Rep

I did not know that there are TWO sensors. Any idea on how to find out which one is giving me the problem?

A bmw dealer told me that the steering angle sensor is faulty after doing some tests.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweesner View Post
I did not know that there are TWO sensors. Any idea on how to find out which one is giving me the problem?

A bmw dealer told me that the steering angle sensor is faulty after doing some tests.
seems like i was wrong about the second sensor, as another poster pointed out, maybe that was my e46. anyhow the actual sensor is in your steering column.

thread is here, looks like a DIY for resoldering, but some people just cleaned the optical sensor/lens and had success. others reported no success. if yours has quit then it can't hurt. i would be absolutely sure with the dealer that it is a failed SZL sensor before messing with it though, don't want to do more damage.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
tna3
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i SP MT

Got Dealer Quote for Fix

Well, I just found out as my Christmas gift, I need this repair as well. Dealer estimate was $1040 including labor and parts + 15% service coupon = ~$900. I may have instigated this somewhat as I once spilled liquid on top of the steering wheel, and issues stared afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I think there is a DIY in the DIY or maintenance section

That tells you how to clean the IR sensor on the PC Board assembly.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
T9Gjn
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
hey, first off, who said you need a new one? dealer? have you tried having associated dsc modules recoded or cleaning the optical steering sensor (theres a DIY somewhere on here).

anyway, theres 2 sensors, one is behind the steering wheel in the steering column and has a clear plastic disc with an optical sensor that reads pits on that disc to determine angle, this is the one people have cleaned with success. it looks like the small pic in your post (see the control stalks for wipers and turn signals sticking out on that pic). This one is called an SZL sensor. if you replace this, the system will need to be recoded and the car possibly aligned at the same time.

the other is down low on the steering rack.

google szl sensor and read up.
the first sensor is the SZL, what is the name or part code of the other sensor?