E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 7 Weeks Winter Storage - Do I need a battery Charger?

12-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

7 Weeks Winter Storage - Do I need a battery Charger?

So I plan to head overseas for 7 weeks for winter and will be leaving my car in my parents garage.

Will fillup the tank, add some fuel stabilizer and give it a good wash.

Will I be able to get by without hooking it up to a charger?

I know starting it without driving is bad, but the battery lasted 3 weeks on my last trip so I was thinking I will let it stand for 3 weeks and then call home and ask my dad to start it up and take it for a short 1km trip and park it again until I get back - I'm not sure if that is a good or bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

I believe that your car and battery will do perfectly fine for 7 weeks. Just make sure the battery is fully charged before storing, meaning, not too many short trips with headlight on, rear window heater on, etc.. My car has been in a shipment for 6 weeks or so without any issues. I would NOT ask your dad to take it out and drive it for 1 km. That is most likely not enough time to recharge the battery. A full charge probably takes around 30 minutes... Plus then you only create condensation (albeit very little...) in the oil etc.. If your dad takes it for a ride, he needs to fully charge the battery and fully warm up the engine, drive train etc.. A warm up will take approximately 12-15km (see my post in the technical forum http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593312, yesterday) and a charge about half an hour...

Last edited by m@rco; 12-18-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

There should be no problem at all. I left my 335i in the Cold Chicago winter from Dec 20 to Feb 15 and it started on a -5 degree day like it was summer. A 4 year old OEM battery at that.

Turn off everything, auto lights, AC/Heat, Radio.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

and if anything, just let it idle to warm, no need to drive, 15 minutes with a few light revs once warm is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
and if anything, just let it idle to warm, no need to drive, 15 minutes with a few light revs once warm is all you need.
?

Don't really agree. Idle to warm is NOT ok. Especially if done often. The warm up process takes much longer than under normal driving conditions and moist builds up in parts that do not get to operating temperature... And eh, revving the engine a bit?!? What does that do? It doesn't charge the battery for sure. I'm sorry but I am not sure what the rationale is behind that.

I've mentioned this before but think of it this way: how much does your engine and drive train weigh? How much gasoline do you need to warm up all these kilograms to 100ºC or more? Think about how much time and natural gas it takes to boil 1 liter of water for some hot tea. Now, compare that to heating up a couple of hundreds kilograms of steel... A few minutes idling simply does not do the work.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rco View Post
?

Don't really agree. Idle to warm is NOT ok. Especially if done often. The warm up process takes much longer than under normal driving conditions and moist builds up in parts that do not get to operating temperature... And eh, revving the engine a bit?!? What does that do? It doesn't charge the battery for sure. I'm sorry but I am not sure what the rationale is behind that.

I've mentioned this before but think of it this way: how much does your engine and drive train weigh? How much gasoline do you need to warm up all these kilograms to 100ºC or more? Think about how much time and natural gas it takes to boil 1 liter of water for some hot tea. Now, compare that to heating up a couple of hundreds kilograms of steel... A few minutes idling simply does not do the work.
I agree, and I don't think idling does the battery any favors either. My car was undriven for 4-5 weeks last winter, and I drove 24 miles to work on the highway. When I went out to the car at lunch and talked on the bluetooth, the entire electrical shutdown in a seemingly orderly fashion until the batt icon went on. Flash forward to that weekend--I drove 2 1/2 hours on the highway, and then back, and never saw the battery icon again until this winter.

If it were me, I'd leave the vehicle alone, until you can take it out for a longer drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

I was doing 6 week rotations with work, and I never had a battery issue.
But when I would start it when I got back, it just seemed a little ... Different.

I went and got a 30$ trickle smart charger, and it would start like, well, the battery just came off a charger!

It might start just fine, but putting a battery through those long cycles in not good for the batt. If you're planning on leaving the car often for long periods, I would suggest a charger.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
?

Idle to warm is NOT ok. Especially if done often.
+1. If your dad can do at least 15 km drive, that should be fine, otherwise, I'd invest in a Battery Tender type maintainer to be on the safe side.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
evangelion139
Dreaming for Manual Transmission E92M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i MT; 2010 E92 M3

i have heard that you can simply disconnect the negative pole of battery after you charge it, and it would probably be the easiest way to store your car. but i havent done it before so im not so sure. any comments ?
      12-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I would put a tender on it - it might not require it to start, but these cars use a lot of juice laying around and it can be hard on the battery, the tender is only 15 bucks and will only help your battery life, cheap insurance in my book.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
I believe that your car and battery will do perfectly fine for 7 weeks. Just make sure the battery is fully charged before storing, meaning, not too many short trips with headlight on, rear window heater on, etc.. My car has been in a shipment for 6 weeks or so without any issues. I would NOT ask your dad to take it out and drive it for 1 km. That is most likely not enough time to recharge the battery. A full charge probably takes around 30 minutes... Plus then you only create condensation (albeit very little...) in the oil etc.. If your dad takes it for a ride, he needs to fully charge the battery and fully warm up the engine, drive train etc.. A warm up will take approximately 12-15km (see my post in the technical forum http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593312, yesterday) and a charge about half an hour...
If your car was being shipped, they normally short the battery to prevent discharge.

Also cars don't charge the battery. Alternators MAINTAIN a battery. On average, cranking a car will drain the battery 1-3%. The alternator will maintain that voltage and bring it back up that 1-3%. It will never fully charge a battery.

That's why if you drive short distances, you are draining your battery 1-3% every time. And your car doesn't have enough time to bring the charge back up to the state it was in. In this case, it's recommended to retrofit an AGM. They have better deep discharge performance and aren't prone to sulfating plates from having a low charge.

OP, I would put it on a tender. They are around $50-$60. I use a CTEK 3300.

I've also heard you can just disconnect it but I personally wouldn't.

EDIT: Also if your car has a lead acid battery, the plates inside will begin to sulfate with a discharged battery. This decreases performance of the battery and the ability to hold a full charge. There are charging programs that will help de-sulfate a battery, but it will never perform like a properly maintained battery.

Also bumere90 makes a good point, a 5 year old battery will struggle to maintain a charge.

Last edited by fdriller9; 12-18-2011 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelion139 View Post
i have heard that you can simply disconnect the negative pole of battery after you charge it, and it would probably be the easiest way to store your car. but i havent done it before so im not so sure. any comments ?
Not a great idea. If you inadvertently close the trunk lid and the car is locked, you won't be able to get back in - or access the battery!

Why disconnect the battery in the first place? A float trickle charge is so much more safe, simple and elegant.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

being 07, your battery is almost 5 years old.
there is good chance that it will lose charge
      12-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBmw View Post
So I plan to head overseas for 7 weeks for winter and will be leaving my car in my parents garage.

Will fillup the tank, add some fuel stabilizer and give it a good wash.

Will I be able to get by without hooking it up to a charger?

I know starting it without driving is bad, but the battery lasted 3 weeks on my last trip so I was thinking I will let it stand for 3 weeks and then call home and ask my dad to start it up and take it for a short 1km trip and park it again until I get back - I'm not sure if that is a good or bad idea.
Crappy tire has the CTEk 3300 on sale. Easy install. Do yourself a favor and pick one up. These cars have a lot of drain on the battery even sitting around.

2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius909 View Post
Crappy tire has the CTEk 3300 on sale. Easy install. Do yourself a favor and pick one up. These cars have a lot of drain on the battery even sitting around.
Lol is it really called crappy tire?

And there really isn't an install process. Your not suppose to hook up anything to the battery itself. Only at the jump points under the hood. So you just use the alligator clips.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
evangelion139
Dreaming for Manual Transmission E92M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i MT; 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Not a great idea. If you inadvertently close the trunk lid and the car is locked, you won't be able to get back in - or access the battery!

Why disconnect the battery in the first place? A float trickle charge is so much more safe, simple and elegant.

Tom

ye.. it would cause another problem to come up , i havent think about that yet
      12-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Lol is it really called crappy tire?

And there really isn't an install process. Your not suppose to hook up anything to the battery itself. Only at the jump points under the hood. So you just use the alligator clips.
With the CTEK 3300 you can actually have a permenent install with bolts...and then when you need to charge, you simply attch the electrical connector that is attached to the car.

hard to explain. On the other hand you can just use the Alligator clips too. LOL

HAAH No. It's actually "Canadian Tire", but they sell a lot of "CRAP" especially their CT Branded Tools and CT branded Auto Parts (Motomaster)...hence most Canadians call it "Crappy Tire". hehe

Oh and don't get my started on their "Autoservice". You'd be a fool to take it there for any sort of autoservice.

2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius909 View Post
With the CTEK 3300 you can actually have a permenent install with bolts...and then when you need to charge, you simply attch the electrical connector that is attached to the car.

hard to explain. On the other hand you can just use the Alligator clips too. LOL

HAAH No. It's actually "Canadian Tire", but they sell a lot of "CRAP" especially their CT Branded Tools and CT branded Auto Parts (Motomaster)...hence most Canadians call it "Crappy Tire". hehe

Oh and don't get my started on their "Autoservice". You'd be a fool to take it there for any sort of autoservice.
Yea I have a 3300 for my car. I'm aware you can either use the clips or the ring terminals. But where can you hook up the ring terminals?

You're not suppose to jump or connect a maintainer directly to the battery unless you remove it from your car. Otherwise, you risk blowing the IBS or BST.

The jump points under the hood are fused in the distribution block on top of your battery so it's safe to connect an external power source to those points.

lol about the crappy tire. I was like, that's such a bad way to represent a company.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Yea I have a 3300 for my car. I'm aware you can either use the clips or the ring terminals. But where can you hook up the ring terminals?

You're not suppose to jump or connect a maintainer directly to the battery unless you remove it from your car. Otherwise, you risk blowing the IBS or BST.

The jump points under the hood are fused in the distribution block on top of your battery so it's safe to connect an external power source to those points.

lol about the crappy tire. I was like, that's such a bad way to represent a company.
Just secure the ring terminals to the under hood connections that attach to the posts themselves.

I rotated it 180 degrees after i took this so the leads comes out the bottom like below

Last edited by B-737; 12-19-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
Just secure the ring terminals to the under hood posts. It takes all but five minutes.
Thanks. I never realized there was a bolt behind that positive connection. I always thought it was crimped on.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #21
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
I thought it was a solid piece too, was a nice surprise, makes it really easy, just a 10mm nut. the negative terminal post on the fender has a metric machine thread too so it's easy to use a 1/4" machine bolt into it.
      12-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #22
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
being 07, your battery is almost 5 years old.
there is good chance that it will lose charge
+1, I had an '08 M5, the battery almost couldn't start the car after less then 5 weeks of neglect
Appreciate 0