E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > A little confused...

05-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

A little confused...

I must have been misinformed when I purchased my 335i. I just went to put in another CD into my dash under the false impression that there was a 6-CD in dash changer. Now that I'm reading, the changer is in the trunk, and an option I don't have. So I have the Logic7 system with single CD player, no special iPod adapter, but I do have the Aux plug for plugging in an iPod separately.

I was wondering if I can play MP3 CD's (holding over 100 songs) on my single in dash player. Also, does anyone use just the 3.5mm to Aux output for their iPod without the separate adapter?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

MP3 CD's can be played through the in dash player. I haven't put more than 80 songs on any of my CD's but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

mp3 player works. and hell, if you have a ipod, pluf that in the aux and you get a portable harddrive in your car for music. i love that aux plug. i don't see a point for the ipod adapter when you have the aux (besides displaying the filename)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
Biemdreamer
Ferris Bueller
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktekniq View Post
mp3 player works. and hell, if you have a ipod, pluf that in the aux and you get a portable harddrive in your car for music. i love that aux plug. i don't see a point for the ipod adapter when you have the aux (besides displaying the filename)
Quality of sound into head unit?! AUX = analog sound whereas iPod adaptor or 6FL unit is digital - no signal degredation. Granted some can hear a difference and some can't. Best to try listening to same piece of music in a car that has both optionsl Good luck.
E90 328i 2007 Arctic Metallic Black Leather Light Poplar Wood Logic 7 Sirius Xenon HID Heated Seats Folding Rear Seat Mods: 162's/Huper Optick Ceramic 30%/Blacklines/Sunglass Tray replaced Ashtray/Debadged/iPod Interface/H&R Rear Antisway/ZSPSuspension/SS Braided Brakelines/ROGUE 15mm spacers/Hard wired V1
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
i don't see a point for the ipod adapter when you have the aux (besides displaying the filename)
...and I don't see a point for having a color television when you can see the shows just fine on a black and white set.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Slaz
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Montego Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Quality of sound into head unit?! AUX = analog sound whereas iPod adaptor or 6FL unit is digital - no signal degredation.
With all due respect that's a load of bobbins. With the 6FL option the iPod is still playing your digital MP3 track itself as an analogue audio output that then goes via the Aux in jack connector.

The difference with the 6FL is that the USB link now gives you the ability to also view the music library and control the iPod.

There is no difference in audio sound quality between normal AUX and the 6FL option, provided they both use the iPod dock connector as a output. I don't have 6FL but have an iPod dock to audio jack input cable and the sound quality through the Logic 7 is mind blowing!
      05-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Just put all your MP3s on a CD. It wil work fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
With all due respect that's a load of bobbins. With the 6FL option the iPod is still playing your digital MP3 track itself as an analogue audio output that then goes via the Aux in jack connector.

The difference with the 6FL is that the USB link now gives you the ability to also view the music library and control the iPod.

There is no difference in audio sound quality between normal AUX and the 6FL option, provided they both use the iPod dock connector as a output. I don't have 6FL but have an iPod dock to audio jack input cable and the sound quality through the Logic 7 is mind blowing!

+1 summed everything up. most people can't tell the difference in sound anyways if you have high quality sound file in your ipod already. i use monster low profile charger and have the aux cable through that. which gives mind blowing sound to me. i put mp3 cds i i can't tell the difference between the ipod and the mp3 cd
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by continentalg5 View Post
MP3 CD's can be played through the in dash player. I haven't put more than 80 songs on any of my CD's but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
In this case is there a special way I should make my Mp3 cd? Should I use folders for different artists? Can you browse through folders using the cars interface?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3350Z View Post
In this case is there a special way I should make my Mp3 cd? Should I use folders for different artists? Can you browse through folders using the cars interface?
yes you can
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Then should I burn the CD as a data CD, put the MP3's on in separate folders and the CD player should read it?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

I don't know what program you use to burn your CD's but if you use iTunes (on a Mac atleast) there is an option to burn MP3 CD's, Data CD's, and Music CD's. Choose MP3 CD and you should be on your way.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #13
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Then should I burn the CD as a data CD, put the MP3's on in separate folders and the CD player should read it?
if your using pc. use nero and choose the mp3 burning open. drag and drop the folder into nero and nero will do the rest for you. putting it as a data cd would not allow the disc reader in the bmw to read it
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #14
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post

there is a difference. The "aux" input using the headphones out on the ipod where as the direct connection uses the line out mode in the ipod to get the music.
      05-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
yes. i use Nero to do this. A rule of thumb, the lower the bit rate, the more songs you can fit BUT less audio quality.

I can fit about 70 - 80 songs using 190kbps as a minimum and it sounds great.

There's a big difference between 128kbps to 190kbps
      05-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

noktekniq;985549
Quote:
most people can't tell the difference in sound anyways if you have high quality sound file in your ipod already.
This, my friend, is an oxymoron. MP3 and Ipod files are great storage algorithms for getting a LOT of decent quality sound onto a storage device. But don't delude yourself into thinking that it's anywhere near high quality. In fact, it's not even close to cd quality, which itself is arguably middle of the road in terms of fidelity.

I think the advent of these small protable devices have made people forget what high quality sound is really like. Yes, you can get good quality sound in a car, but it's not going to come from an ipod or mp3 player...with those, you are trading sound quality for convenience.

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
noktekniq;985549

This, my friend, is an oxymoron. MP3 and Ipod files are great storage algorithms for getting a LOT of decent quality sound onto a storage device. But don't delude yourself into thinking that it's anywhere near high quality. In fact, it's not even close to cd quality, which itself is arguably middle of the road in terms of fidelity.

I think the advent of these small protable devices have made people forget what high quality sound is really like. Yes, you can get good quality sound in a car, but it's not going to come from an ipod or mp3 player...with those, you are trading sound quality for convenience.
I disagree...I encode my music at no less than 256 and I can switch back and forth between the same source on CD and Ipod and cant tell which is which.
      05-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #18
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At the risk of wasting some CD's i guess i'm going to have to try a few ways. I've been told I can burn as an MP3 Audio CD or a Data CD but it seems only the data cd can have folders so I can organize my music and find what i want.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #19
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX View Post
I disagree...I encode my music at no less than 256 and I can switch back and forth between the same source on CD and Ipod and cant tell which is which.
It's true, some people can't tell or appreciate the difference. But just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean they are the same quality.

Some people can't tell the difference between a BMW and a Dodge. Does that mean they are the same quality? For those that can't tell the difference, then I recommend getting the one that offers more convenience or more value. In this case, the ipod/mp3 player wins...

Here's another analogy: High definition tvs do a great job on high def channels...but have you ever tried to watch a regular def channel on an HD set? It usually looks like crap, and certainly doesn't look high def. That's because the source material isn't up to the quality of the player (tv). For most people, it's easier to see this difference than it is to hear an audio difference...our ears are not quite as discerning as our eyes...

For those that CAN tell the difference, I recommend using the highest quality source material possible. For me, it seems ludicrous to pay for such a high end audio system like the Logic7, then put mp3 files through it...no amount of signal processing is going to turn an mp3 into a cd...the end result is only as good as the original source. Of course, if the convenience of having several thousand songs at your disposal is more important that the sound quality, then by all means, go for it.

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.

Last edited by droptop335; 05-21-2007 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #20
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

You can have the dealer install you a CD changer in the trunk
      05-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #21
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
At the risk of wasting some CD's i guess i'm going to have to try a few ways. I've been told I can burn as an MP3 Audio CD or a Data CD but it seems only the data cd can have folders so I can organize my music and find what i want.
mp3 cd can have folders. if you use nero
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #22
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
mp3 cd can have folders. if you use nero
Anywhere to get Nero for free?