E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW is going cheap!

12-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
MotorenWerkeN52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (Phytonic Blue)

Angry BMW is going cheap!

Just venting here but I hate how BMW is using cheaper plastic parts in their cars. I was working under the hood last night in my garage and once I finished I went to put back a few clamps, which were holding hoses, that broke. Not that it is a big deal, they only cost about 1.50 each but its such a pain to get these small parts. Cant imagine how these parts will hold up in the long run, surely wont be as reliable as the E36.

Last edited by MotorenWerkeN52; 12-13-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Cheap where I dont notice much "plastic"
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydermirza12 View Post
Just venting here but I hate how BMW is using cheaper plastic parts in their cars. I was working under the hood last night in my garage and once I finished I went to put back a few clamps that were holding hoses that broke. Not that it is a big deal, they only cost about 1.50 each but its such a pain to get these small parts. Cant imagine how these parts will hold up in the long run, surely wont be as reliable as the E36.
Are you perhaps over-romanticizing your older car?

I ask because the only plastic parts I've had break on my BMWs were on my E34 (aux heater pump inlet, the expansion tank, radiator inlet - note: cooling system theme)...so it's not like BMW just started using plastic recently.

Regards
D.
      12-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Well I know it's common for many companies, and this isn't limited to just the auto industry, to have one-time use fasteners, nuts, bolts, etc.

This isn't so true for the plastic parts you mentioned but for nuts and bolts, tightening them causes them to elongate permanently. This is how bolts work. They stretch to put compression on the two parts they are joining. There is tension on the bolt. Every time to tighten that bolt or nut, it stretches and weakens. Even if you just apply a pre-load to the fastener, it gets weakened.

Whereas on the other hand, plastic doesn't stretch. It just breaks. So if it breaks, it obviously need repalcement. With a metal screw, it can be reused but that doesn't mean it's safe to.

But anyway, they should still perform just like a traditional metal clip or whatever.

Sorry for the dry and technical post. I'm studying for a machine design final and one of the topics are screws and fasteners lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Just venting here but I hate how BMW is using cheaper plastic parts in their cars. I was working under the hood last night in my garage and once I finished I went to put back a few clamps that were holding hoses that broke. Not that it is a big deal, they only cost about 1.50 each but its such a pain to get these small parts. Cant imagine how these parts will hold up in the long run, surely wont be as reliable as the E36.
...Not to mention the broken hoses in your 2011 328...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

The interior is also very cheap...driver door handle, driver window control, cup holders...

All of those plastic parts peel with enough use... I had the dealership replace my steering wheel center as the plastic was starting to peel around the volume controls and also replace my door handle & window control.

Not a fan of the cheap rubberized plastic...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
The interior is also very cheap...driver door handle, driver window control, cup holders...

All of those plastic parts peel with enough use...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post

All of those plastic parts peel with enough use... I had the dealership replace my steering wheel center as the plastic was starting to peel around the volume controls and also replace my door handle & window control.

Not a fan of the cheap rubberized plastic...
Yea that does suck. I have that issue in alot of places in my car

I thought they switched over though, to parts with the color mixed into the plastic?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
MotorenWerkeN52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
...Not to mention the broken hoses in your 2011 328...
Fixed for you
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
MotorenWerkeN52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA Diesel View Post
Are you perhaps over-romanticizing your older car?

I ask because the only plastic parts I've had break on my BMWs were on my E34 (aux heater pump inlet, the expansion tank, radiator inlet - note: cooling system theme)...so it's not like BMW just started using plastic recently.

Regards
D.
I have never had an E36, I am just comparing the plastic clip in my car to the ones in my friends E36. We were just working on his car the other day and all the plastic clamps/clips seems to be thicker and made better.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Fixed for you
Thats different then. Time for all of you guys to buy Japanese....Or Audi.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
MotorenWerkeN52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Well I know it's common for many companies, and this isn't limited to just the auto industry, to have one-time use fasteners, nuts, bolts, etc.

This isn't so true for the plastic parts you mentioned but for nuts and bolts, tightening them causes them to elongate permanently. This is how bolts work. They stretch to put compression on the two parts they are joining. There is tension on the bolt. Every time to tighten that bolt or nut, it stretches and weakens. Even if you just apply a pre-load to the fastener, it gets weakened.

Whereas on the other hand, plastic doesn't stretch. It just breaks. So if it breaks, it obviously need repalcement. With a metal screw, it can be reused but that doesn't mean it's safe to.

But anyway, they should still perform just like a traditional metal clip or whatever.

Sorry for the dry and technical post. I'm studying for a machine design final and one of the topics are screws and fasteners lol.
Thanks for the input, I'm always willing to learn... Interesting stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post

I thought they switched over though, to parts with the color mixed into the plastic?
European manufacturers tend to coat interior plastics to make them look good or feel pleasing to the touch.

Volvo uses a "tactile" paint on it's switches that begins to turn into a gooey mess once the car is out of warranty. I've needed to replace every window switch on my '98.

The Japanese manufacturers seem to know better.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
MotorenWerkeN52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Thats different then. Time for all of you guys to buy Japanese....Or Audi.
lol... I love BMW too much to buy Japanese... Don't think I am ever going to switch over.
Appreciate 0