E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Braking causes pull on steering wheel

10-24-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Braking causes pull on steering wheel

I just notice a problem with my 325i.. After I got out of a parking garage, I found out that when I apply the brake, the steering wheel pulls to the right about 20degrees and especially significant when coming down to almost a complete stop... I was surprised and first thought it was the road but it wasn't. Surprisingly, the problem went away after 10 mins. It seemed to be normal again. I checked the tires, no puncture or anything. The alignment should be alright since I had never curbed the car before. Anyone have an idea where it went wrong? There must be a problem even though the problem went away after 10min. Service appointment booked already but it's going to be next week..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Ponchoyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Black

Might be that your rotors are warped....either the lug nuts were not tightened toward the right torque spec.
      10-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchoyu
Might be that your rotors are warped....either the lug nuts were not tightened toward the right torque spec.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
      10-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep

Unfortunately, this also happens sometimes during acceleration. And I also noticed that it does not only pull to the right now, it also pulls to the left. An appointment at the dealer is made and I'll see what they say. One strange phenomenon is this problem is especially noticeable in slightly hilly areas. In flat roads, the problem seems to be non-existent. Very strange.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
turbotention
Rep
Drives: white e90

It is possible that your right front tire had low tire pressure.
mabe the air loss wasn't enough for the sensor to have picked it up.
after driving for a while the air inside the tire starts to heat up causing
it to expand=tire preassure rises a little. That explains why it stopped doing that after 10 minutes of driving
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep

Checked Air Pressure. both front wheels are off by one psi only. Shouldn't be that much of an influence. On the other hand, the rear wheels are both off by 2 psi. Didn't have the chance to go adjust it yet but I doubt it's the air pressure. In addition, these are runflats and should have even less of an influence on the steering just because of very small air pressure differences.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 01:18 AM   #7
kans
Rep
Drives: 2001 X5

It is possible that your summer tires (from my experience) causing the problem, which are sensitive to the height of the road
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
turbotention
Rep
Drives: white e90

Have you had any warning lights come on or any problems with the stability control?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
underDAWG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 on Stands

If the pulingl to the side happens when braking, and I assume the all tire is in proper PSI, it is likely that you have a sticky caliper, make sure you pads and rotor are not contaminated with brake fluid or oil. If you are handy, pull the wheel off inspect the brake pad for oil contamination. Replace as needed.

If this also happens during accelaration, check your suspension and steering component. When you suspension has probelms, you might have experienced the torque steer. Hard to say withou examine it closely. I would have BMW take a shot at it since it still under warrenty. HTH.

uD.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep

The appointment is booked for early next week. So I'll let them check what is happening. But for the last 2 days, the problem seemed to have vanished, although I could still feel it from time to time. And yes, I feel this happen 90% of the time when braking, especially noticable on a slight incline and moderate traffic areas. (Requires braking and accelerating frequently) I don't have the tools to take off the wheels so I'll just wait till next week and let BMW deal with it.
Appreciate 0