E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 rear speakers upgrade options

12-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

E90 rear speakers upgrade options

Hi,

I would like to improve the sound coming from the rear speakers in my E90. I have the basic audio system in an SE.

The fronts sound acceptable to me but the rears are dire - really empty sounding and hollow with no punch whatsoever.

I would like some inexpensive plug and play speakers that will fit into the rear parcel shelf without the need for drilling / cutting etc.

I am in the UK so would need something I can purchase over here.

Please could any members with experience of suitable upgrades let me know what they used, how easy they were to fix and what sort of costs were involved?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Garage List
The base/entry level system is powered from the HU it would make little difference (if any) which speakers you put there, it’s just not powerful or rear focused enough, you would need something like an MS-8 or BitOne to tune the rears individually. But either way most people will tell you here that it’s a waste of your money and time, as even after that it won’t make much difference, bimmers are known having poor rear sound most people just fade it forward or just turn of the rears altogether....

Only thing is a coaxial speaker with a tweeter may give alil clarity but it won’t be no Mariah Carey concert…

So if you do still want to go down that route I recommend the Vibe Slick 4 coaxial speaker for rears, they will perfect for your E90, and are about £35.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Many thanks for the information - I like the coaxial idea for the rears but I'm not so keen on the Mariah Carey! More of a Black Crowes man myself!

How do I fit speakers with 4 fixing holes into a space that only has three though? Are there adaptors available?

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlo View Post
The base/entry level system is powered from the HU it would make little difference (if any) which speakers you put there, it’s just not powerful or rear focused enough, you would need something like an MS-8 or BitOne to tune the rears individually. But either way most people will tell you here that it’s a waste of your money and time, as even after that it won’t make much difference, bimmers are known having poor rear sound most people just fade it forward or just turn of the rears altogether....

Only thing is a coaxial speaker with a tweeter may give alil clarity but it won’t be no Mariah Carey concert…

So if you do still want to go down that route I recommend the Vibe Slick 4 coaxial speaker for rears, they will perfect for your E90, and are about £35.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:39 AM   #4
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukder View Post
Many thanks for the information - I like the coaxial idea for the rears but I'm not so keen on the Mariah Carey! More of a Black Crowes man myself!

How do I fit speakers with 4 fixing holes into a space that only has three though? Are there adaptors available?

--
It's actually quite easy... The speakers have 4 lugs which are perforated. All you need to do is use side cutters to remove 2 lugs and then use a large washer to over lap the speaker lip to hold it in place.... simple

Have a look at how B33M3R did it, he too has an E90...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
Appreciate 0