E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Home Link Frustration (garage door wont link) 335 in virginia

05-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
jwbender
Rep
Drives: graphite 335i

Home Link Frustration (garage door wont link) 335 in virginia

Can someone pretty please help me! I have read every thread on this site and others. Called homelink. And today went into service to get my homelink checked out. Service claims everythign is ok.

I can press the outer two buttons and get the system to reset itself. But I can not get my door transmitter to link with the homelink buttons on the rear view mirror. I press both buttons at the same time and get only the slow flashing light.

I have: bought a new battery.
bought a new transmitter from lowes (that works by itself)
tried behind the mirror, in front, outside the windshield, everywhere.
unplugged my GDO motor. Reset all transmitter codes 100 times. nothing works!

I am going crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions for the 335i coupe?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
here is how i linked mine.

I pressed the outer two button and kept it held for 30 secs till it erased all memories.

Then i held my original garage opener close to the homelink buttons and kept the button i want programmed pressed. You will have to keep it pressed for a good 30 - 60 secs till it starts blinking, once it's starts blinking, wait till it blinks faster. When it blinks faster that means it picked up the garage opener.

Now, if you have one of the newer garage openers, you have a rolling code opener. You will now have to go to the back of your actual garage motor (the one in the garage) and press the "learn" button at the back of it. You now have a 60 secs. window white the led flashes.

Go back to the car and keep the button (the one previously programed) pressed it learns the rolling code. The light in yoru garage opener will blink to confirm new settings.

Give this a shot and let me know if it works. Where in VA are you?
      05-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I gave up on trying to program mine. I probably have a rolling code thing. I'll look for the learn button today. Thanks for the tip.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbender View Post
Can someone pretty please help me! I have read every thread on this site and others. Called homelink. And today went into service to get my homelink checked out. Service claims everythign is ok.

I can press the outer two buttons and get the system to reset itself. But I can not get my door transmitter to link with the homelink buttons on the rear view mirror. I press both buttons at the same time and get only the slow flashing light.

I have: bought a new battery.
bought a new transmitter from lowes (that works by itself)
tried behind the mirror, in front, outside the windshield, everywhere.
unplugged my GDO motor. Reset all transmitter codes 100 times. nothing works!

I am going crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions for the 335i coupe?

You probably have the rolling code. There is a way to do it and it involves pressing a button on your garage door unit. Call the 800# again. It's not that hard and they will walk you through the entire process. Just call on a cell phone or a cordless phone so you can do it with them. It's pretty cool!:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

yup, I think you are missing the learn code step. Once you pressed the learn button on the GDO unit itself, climb back down the ladder and jump in the car and hold the program button on the rear view mirror until the lights on the GDO unit flashes. You must doe this while the car is running or it will be a moot attempt.
      05-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
jwbender
Rep

still no luck

I am in Norfolk in Larchmont. I have only seen one blue 335 coupe in all the tidewater area. Good to know I am not the only one.

I do have the rolling code. I understand the directions (I think), the only thing that doesnt happen is when I press both the homelink button on the mirror and my xmitter button at the same time. My homelink light blinks slow at first but never blinks fast. Any idea? The light eventually just goes out! Any ideas?

I called homelink and they told me to get a new xmitter. I did. That didnt work. For a $45k car, this should work!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

Quote:
I do have the rolling code. I understand the directions (I think), the only thing that doesnt happen is when I press both the homelink button on the mirror and my xmitter button at the same time. My homelink light blinks slow at first but never blinks fast. Any idea? The light eventually just goes out! Any ideas?
Try putting your transmitter right up against the back of the mirror. That's what I had to do, despite the manual saying 4-10 inches or whatever. I have a Genie opener.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
jwbender
Rep

so you are saying, clear all codes. then press the learn button on the GDO motor. then go get in the car and only press the homelink button? Or should I press the xmitter button and the homelink button simult?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
so you are saying, clear all codes. then press the learn button on the GDO motor. then go get in the car and only press the homelink button? Or should I press the xmitter button and the homelink button simult?
you will have to clear all codes first. I think if there is a code in the button you are trying to assign, it won't pick up the new remote. or try a different button.
      05-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
txusa03
Major General
Rep

I know this is easier said then done and especially when I sit behind a comp. But I have programmed my homelink twice. The first time went without problem. Then I realized I did not like the outter button on the mirror so I clear all code and homelink it to the inner button (again no problem).

Second, it you tried it so many time and it does not work, try parking your car differently or closer to the GDO. Try holding the handheld transmitter in different location. Try holding the button longer. Just try different thing. Better yet, have a relative come over to assist so you dont have to run in/out of the car while doing the learn feature. GL again.
      05-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnptel1 View Post

I pressed the outer two button and kept it held for 30 secs till it erased all memories.

Then i held my original garage opener close to the homelink buttons and kept the button i want programmed pressed. You will have to keep it pressed for a good 30 - 60 secs till it starts blinking, once it's starts blinking, wait till it blinks faster. When it blinks faster that means it picked up the garage opener.

Now, if you have one of the newer garage openers, you have a rolling code opener. You will now have to go to the back of your actual garage motor (the one in the garage) and press the "learn" button at the back of it. You now have a 60 secs. window white the led flashes.

Go back to the car and keep the button (the one previously programed) pressed it learns the rolling code. The light in yoru garage opener will blink to confirm new settings.

finally got the damn thing to work because of this useful tip
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
if it doesn't work or are unsuccessful, let me know, i can meet up with you and help you out. I work right off of colley ave.
      05-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noktekniq View Post
finally got the damn thing to work because of this useful tip
sorry, my english was aweful. I just re-read my post and i was like "Wtf did i just say?" I was doing a million things at a time while posting.
      05-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
jwbender
Rep

tjntel1,

check your personal msgs to get my number and help me out! Thanks a ton.

Anyone else out there have a chamberlain garage door opener (GDO) and a 335 coupe with homelink problems? I took the car into service yesterday and they told me everything was working as expected. I say BS. I mean, how hard can this really be?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks for the tip...nothing like paying 2K for "programmable" remote only to give up in fustration trying to program a rolling code
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #16
john335i
Master of Everything I See
Canada
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 535xi

You can also check the Homelink web site. They provided instructions based on each manufacturer. Mine was a Sears (Craftsmen) with rolling codes and I got it to work. (copied from homelink website)

NOTE: Some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or to the second (or “accessory” or ACC) position for training and/or operation of HomeLink. It is also recommended that a new battery be replaced in the hand held transmitter of the device being trained to HomeLink for quicker training and accurate transmission of the radio frequency.

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #17
noktekniq
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
sorry, my english was aweful. I just re-read my post and i was like "Wtf did i just say?" I was doing a million things at a time while posting.
i think it has the crappy english that i understand instead of the professional language from the manual. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
MrFrizzle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Well, I have two homes, my Dad's and my Mom's.

So basically, the garage door opener doesn't work with my 328xi or my dad's X5. It just plain doesn't work. I've tried programming then tons of times, with no luck. But at my mom's house, the garage door opener works like a charm with my 328xi and my mom's 550i. Programmed and got it the first time off the bat.

So it seems that some garage doors just DONT work with homelink. There must be some way for it to operate. But in general, I find that there is nothing wrong with Homelink, but its the garage's fault.
      05-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #19
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

I programmed mine last night and it took quite a while and about 5 attempts, the first couple after reading the manual, then researching it on here then coming back inside for a quick refresher from on here, but finall it worked

1. Press outer (button 1 & 3) on mirror for 30 secs to clear memory (worked fine 1st time)

2. Press and hold button on mirror you want programmed and press the button to open/close garage door on universal remote, keep holding both buttons until light on mirror changes from blinking slowly to blinking fast.

This is the step that didn't work for me. I found online some tips that helped. I held it as close as possible to the mirror (pretty much touching the mirror). The original remote may stop sending the signal if you keep it's button pressed so keep the button on the mirror pressed, but the button on the original remote may stop sending if you keep the button pressed so press ond hold this button for 2 seconds and keep releasing it and immediately holding for 2 seconds until the light on the mirror blinks quickly, then release both buttons.

3. If it's a rolling code then press the button on the actual garage door opener (mine was red and marked 'Learn') then get back inside the car and press and hold for 2 seconds the button on the mirror and repeat up to 3 times.

edit: BTW my garage door opener is the CRAFTSMAN® 1/2-HP Chain-Driven Garage Door Opener.

Last edited by Two Sheds; 05-21-2007 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: adding info
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #20
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

This thread came up just as I was having the same problem on my brand new 335 coupe with an older Genie (non-rolling code). I had tried all distances from 4-12 inches (as specified in the BMW manual) with no luck.

After reading the above, I held it an inch or so away and it immediately worked. I noticed that the Homelink web site specifies 1-3 inches for Genie, so BMW goofed in their manual (again).

I also noticed that the BMW manual seems to say that (once programmed) it will work with the ignition off. That was not true on my 2002 325i and is still not true on the 2007 335.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #21
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
This thread came up just as I was having the same problem on my brand new 335 coupe with an older Genie (non-rolling code). I had tried all distances from 4-12 inches (as specified in the BMW manual) with no luck.

After reading the above, I held it an inch or so away and it immediately worked. I noticed that the Homelink web site specifies 1-3 inches for Genie, so BMW goofed in their manual (again).

I also noticed that the BMW manual seems to say that (once programmed) it will work with the ignition off. That was not true on my 2002 325i and is still not true on the 2007 335.
as I was saying, never take the manual at face value. heck, it 3-4 inches does not work, try something different. get a little closer (you afraid it might bite at you ). Glad you got it to work
      05-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #22
Doss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

I'm having the same problem on my 07 335i with a Genie garage door opener. Its a rolling code but I don't even get to the step where I have to hit the learn button on the garage door opener because the homelink doesn't even learn the garage door remote. And this isn't my first car with a built in garage door opener, the TL my wife drives works great and the Toureag we had before that worked fine too. I tried for about 20min the other day, I'll try again today and see what happens.
Appreciate 0