E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Long Progman Update Time?

05-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Long Progman Update Time?

On Thursday morning I left my 335i at the dealership to have my iDrive updated to the newest version. I received a call later that day that it still wasn't done and that they would have to keep it until Friday to let it finish updating, all the while I was thinking well, I could download maybe 15 movies in the same amount of time that it would take to update the iDrive...how much information is being transferred, and why does it take so long?? (He said it started a few minutes after I dropped it off)

Anyway I told him that it would be fine and that they could keep it until Friday even though this would seriously inconvenience me, as I would have to bus to work. He could not offer me a loaner because it was a "one day job" or something like that.

Later that Friday I got a call from him saying that their computer crashed while it was updating my car and that they had a BMW engineer trying to resolve the problem. Well immediately I asked if my car would be done by the end of the day and he told me no, "maybe tomorrow". I told him that this would be fine but it would inconvenience me a lot. Once again "no loaner car's can be given on one day services." Well whatever no big deal, it will be done by Saturday.

WRONG! On Saturday I got a call saying that their system crashed again and it might be ready for pickup on Monday or Tuesday. Once again I stay polite and calm and tell him that this is alright for them to keep the car.

My question is that is there really a "no loaner on one day services" policy? Is he just telling me that the computer is down because they are overflowing with services requests? Am I entitled to ask them for some goodies because of my wait time? Is my car going to be messed up because their computer crashed twice while updating my car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

all I can tell you is yes, updating the software can take anywhere from 1 days to a week. A week time means that the computer crashes during the update and they would have to start from the beginning again.

On the other hand, every shop has their own little policy on loaner. But knowing the history of software update crashing, they should begin looking and allocating a loaner for you. Maybe you are just to mellow, time to bring out the claws...
      05-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
all I can tell you is yes, updating the software can take anywhere from 1 days to a week. A week time means that the computer crashes during the update and they would have to start from the beginning again.

On the other hand, every shop has their own little policy on loaner. But knowing the history of software update crashing, they should begin looking and allocating a loaner for you. Maybe you are just to mellow, time to bring out the claws...
+1. each dealer makes up their own rules.
I made an appointment for june for progman update and asked about loaner policy. I was told I would get a loaner since the software update could take days.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by continentalg5 View Post

My question is that is there really a "no loaner on one day services" policy?
each dealer seems to work differently.

Quote:
Is he just telling me that the computer is down because they are overflowing with services requests?
don't know but they should know better about progman updates.

Quote:
Am I entitled to ask them for some goodies because of my wait time?
Let them know how patient you've been and that this is getting out of hand.
Not your fault that their equipment fails.
Ask for a loaner now else ask to speak with higher powers. make noise.

Quote:
Is my car going to be messed up because their computer crashed twice while updating my car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would stay at the dealer and test test test all functions.
get them to tell you what version they installed.
test the stuff this version is supposed to fix and keep on testing until
you feel all works correctly.

good luck.

I go in in about 3 weeks.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for your help! If my car isn't ready by today I am going to take your advice and start to complain to the higher ups at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
i just dropped off my car this morning. ill let you know how long it takes. they gave me a loaner. they said it could take 2-8 hours. they will call me when it is finished.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Just got a call from my SA saying that my car SHOULD be done today and I "most probably" will be able to pick it up today. I'm very excited to get my car back and I might ask for some free all season floor mats for my wait time. If I have time tonight or tomorrow I will make a video of the update and what it does.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpcrew13 View Post
i just dropped off my car this morning. ill let you know how long it takes. they gave me a loaner. they said it could take 2-8 hours. they will call me when it is finished.
+1 Mine is being updated right now. I was provided a loaner 328i. I dropped the car off at 7am this morning. I just called for an update and was told it is currently being updated, and that they will call if it is done tonight. Otherwise, I should call tomorrow at 7 or 8am to see if it is ready for pickup. Holy crap, that takes a long time!
      05-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

So I got my car back yesterday and let me tell you, the update was worth the wait. Much nicer UI with nice colors, and definitely a lot speedier than the previous version.

One thing I noticed IMMEDIATELY was when either changing CD tracks, or radio presets there is no need to hit "play" when changing stations or presets, just changes instantly. That is one thing I really hated but am glad that they resolved. I can't think of anything else right now but overall I like it a lot.

When my camera is done charging in about an hour I'm going to make a video to compare the new Progman version of iDrive to my M35x's navigation system.

I feel that this update is a MUST for all people with iDrive, definitely make an appointment at your dealer to have it installed ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
^^ I agree it is a nice improvement. IMO, the color and font scheme is mostly a step backwards, but it's not bad at all. The UI and functionality is improved, for sure. Mine seems no faster than before, though.
      05-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Did the font change on the little info screen between the tach and speedo where it tells you D, DS, M1, etc... For whatever reason the edges of the font seem smoother and different. Maybe it's just me?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
Ryan 330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 335i

Quote:
Did the font change on the little info screen between the tach and speedo where it tells you D, DS, M1, etc... For whatever reason the edges of the font seem smoother and different. Maybe it's just me?
nope its true. they do.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I'll have to check that out. I don't have step, so no M1 M2 M3 etc., but there's still plenty of stuff on that little screen.
      05-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

So I just finished making a video of the new iDrive update and I am uploading it right now. I also made a video of my M35x's navigation system. I will be posting it later, it's kinda boring though, just me rambling on about the cars No biggie, I just thought it might be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 07:11 PM   #15
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

Looking forward to the idrive video as my car is in the shop now being upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #16
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm having a little trouble compressing my video because quicktime seems to think that there is no audio attached to the clip yet it plays audio in the orginal. No clue. I'm going to try to get it done today, but if not I'll do it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0