F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Not Liking the F30's Equipment Constraints
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the F30 configuration options?
Six of one, half dozen of the other. I don't care. 4 7.27%
I don't like the limitations, but I'll get over it. 28 50.91%
At least one of them is exactly what I'd want. I'd be making no compromise. 7 12.73%
I don't like them and the limitations are enough to make me consider other brands. 12 21.82%
They tick me off so much I won't be buying an F30. 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

11-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Not Liking the F30's Equipment Constraints

I read the other post about the US pricing for the F30 and certainly, a price increase wasn't unexpected. That said, some have said the increase seems reasonable given the increased standard equipment. I don't see that there's really all that much more standard equipment beyond the bluetooth.

More dismaying to me is the reduced variability in how one can configure the car. How did BMW come to decide that sporty folks want black, red or grey interiors, while modern folks only want black or oyster, etc? The freedom to customize the appearance of your BMW's interior the way you wanted was one thing that distinguished BMW from MB, to say nothing of the Japanese competitors. Now, as far as I know, Porsche is the only sports car producer that will allow one some freedom of choice, albeit at a somewhat higher price, but then that was the case for the e90 as well. That said, at least one can still have the luxury gee gaws along with sporting performance. And I guess a Cayman or Boxter will still make for a suitable daily driver, though with somewhat less utility and space than one may find in a BMW coupe or sedan.

Sure, the car will drive well, and that's certainly my first priority. And yes, I love my red interior, but if I get the new 3er, I don't know that I'd want another red interior, and I passionately detest the grey (BORING !!! ), which leaves just black. Black isn't bad by any means, rather it's a default color.

The reduced flexibility may not be an issue for some. Plenty of folks will likely be content with with the choices available to them. I suspect, however, that those among us having the freedom to buy what we want will have a far greater impetus to explore other car makers', for me it'll be Porsche, offerings. I've been a BMW loyalist for over 20 years, so there's some trepidation about switching to a new brand of daily driver. But, BMW, be assured that your 3er is no longer a shoe in as a replacement for my current daily driver.

I wonder how many other folks, particularly among the so called "fan boys," share my disappointment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

They are catering to the masses, enthusiasts probably make up less than 10%. I too have a problem with option constraints...either they force you to buy something you dont need to get what you want. Or its just not an option like it should be(19" on 328i)
      11-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

tony2009: Very clearly stated... I completely agree. The packages are really restrictive for consumers!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Do you read at all?????

"First and foremost, these lines are not the only 3 cars we can choose from. A 3-Series can be ordered as is and optioned how you want to option it, just as has always been with a BMW. These 3 "Lines" are just extra options on top of what is normally offered. I tend to think of them as just an extra package, akin to a sports package, except that the package contains many more stylistic elements. Another way to think of them would be a pre-packaged BMW Individual car."

Last edited by Memphis1; 11-19-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Memphis1: Except when I go to the BMW UK site (since US is not up yet), I am forced to pick a line... so it doesn't look like you can make your own...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
If you can afford a porsche, why dont you get a 5,6,7 or m series?

the packages are a way of quickly choosing a XXXXX package and choosing an exterior color and thats it. But if im reading the order forms correctly you should be able to specify many different options, including different dashboard, leather and exterior colors.
Not that I need to explain, but....The current 5er (528i) is my second car, but I don't use it as my basic transportation, just for evenings out when I'm the designated driver, or long road trips with my kids when I need the space. I have no need for an M series as I won't ever push the normal variants beyond their limits, I never put my car on the track and I live in a city full of potholes the size of Rhode Island (though to the city's credit, they've been improving the streets). At any rate, my cars, even my daughter's 328i wagon, are fast/powerful enough for all my needs. I'm interested in handling more than speed.

More importantly, however, I buy cars to fit somewhat specific purposes. Accordingly, the performance, luxury and other aspects of the car are based on what I need, want or can utilize rather than on how those factors -- especially the speed -- compare to other cars. I bought my e92 to use on a daily basis. It's small (fits easily into parking spots and parallel parks easily), good on long and short trips, sufficiently comfortable, has ample space for dealing with life's recurring chores, dodges potholes adroitly, and the red interior somewhat distinguishes it from the run of the mill cars one sees. I don't really see the 5er as being the car I'd just tool around in. I probably would do that with a Cayman and maybe a Boxter (depending on whether I really could fit two week's worth of groceries in the thing).

Although I'm not thrilled that a Cayman will cost me somewhat more than a 3er, I'm even less thrilled about the prospect of driving, EVERY DAY, a car that doesn't visually appeal to me. That said, I doubt I would indulge myself beyond $65K for a daily driver, and a Cayman or BMW can certainly be had for a good deal less than that, even if one fits it out with a nice assortment of options. Perhaps once the kids are educated and out of my house, I'll get a car that I really love.

Don't misconstrue me, I understand and respect that many folks may not have the freedoms of choice I have. (...though I suspect, based on the picayune nature of many of the posts I've seen on this forum, that most folks here aren't among those people...) Indeed, many folks see their BMW/car as a prestige thing, but I'm not one of those people. I just want to mostly drive a car that I actually like - both mechanically and aesthetically.

To your second point, I hope you are right and that I've misread the information I've seen. It'd be good to be wrong. But, really, I really like the oyster color. My daughter has it in her wagon, and I love it! I'd been thinking that when I get my next 3er, I'd get the sports package with the oyster interior, dark blue exterior, and aluminum trim. Since I'm now considering a Cayman, I'd go with the white exterior and their dark blue interior. I'm just liking the blue and white thing these days and that's quite likely what I'm going to get next.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you read at all?????

"First and foremost, these lines are not the only 3 cars we can choose from. A 3-Series can be ordered as is and optioned how you want to option it, just as has always been with a BMW. These 3 "Lines" are just extra options on top of what is normally offered. I tend to think of them as just an extra package, akin to a sports package, except that the package contains many more stylistic elements. Another way to think of them would be a pre-packaged BMW Individual car."
I hope you are correct. It hasn't read that way to my mind.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

I think most cars on dealer lots will be sport, modern, or luxury cars. I would love to build my own car with ONLY sport seats(which probably require sportline) sports wheels(preferably 19" which looks like it only comes on the 335i), and maybe a few other goodies(hate that HUD requires the navi system) Gonna be interesting when that US car builder on the site goes live. Also, looks like to get that sport+ mode, you will need sportline.

I called my sales guy today and told him to make sure he calls me when he gets the pricing/ordering info lol
      11-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just spoke with my BMW salesman. He says that you have to chose one of the lines and add on from there. I asked specifically about the interior color constraints, to which he suggested BMW may step back from that constraint. He mentioned that several of his customers have called not happy about the interior choice limits.

When I told him I was likely to go with a Cayman, he suggested that maybe I'd like to consider a 135 or 1M as the replacement for my 335. I hadn't given that a thought until he suggested it, but it's certainly plausible and a far better price point than a Cayman for a daily driver. I am sure that if I go to the BMW store and drive and like a 1 series, I won't bother to go look at the Cayman. Though I'm not as price sensitive as some people, I, liking two cars, would never buy the meaningfully more expensive of them given that I plan to use the car for every-day, general use. So hopefully BMW don't implement that line foolishness with the new 1er. Even so, BMW will have to compete to earn my business next time round.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Do you read at all?????

Unfortunately if you actually read the other threads commented on by others and then read the ordering guide thread you would find this is not the case.

You cannot say get an Oyster interior with a Sport model etc.

Now, you can get a base model and option it, but it is only available in two colors- Black and Beige.

That's it.

So no, you can't quite get it the way you want it like it's always been.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

^Also you cant get sport seats with the base car...sport seats only come in sportline.
(but it looks like you can get red leather sports seats which should look awesome with mineral grey exterior)

And it looks like sport line is just a nice way of saying sport package. If its anything more than $4000 for the sporltine over base i will be seriously pissed.
      11-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
antremo
Rep
Drives: 2011 328

I too am very disappointed to hear that oyster is not available on sport or MSport.

I see my 2011 328 Coupe with Montego Blue and Oyester/Black interior as sporty yet elegant...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Was just playing around on the UK car configurator, i know its different then what US is getting, but under the 328 options, they have sport
msport suspesion for 315 and then
adaptive m sport suspension for 750........
      11-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
tony2009: very well stated. It is very disappointing to see BMW limit the selections in this manner.

Looking at the UK congigurator it appears that the lines are not just additional options but severly limit the options available by packaging them. As noted by others, the base series does not appear to be comparable to previous models in terms of the possibility of combining options.

I understand that the 3-line approach will make production more cost-efficient for BMW but it's unfortunate that the options are packaged in this manner, because at this price the consumer should be happy about the majority of the options purchased, particularly when some options, such as interior trim color and leather color, are a significiant part of the daily driving experience.

At this price the car's features are not something we should have to "get over," but rather something we perceive as a good value for the purchase price.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Dave4501
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10, E70, E64, and E60

I too am disappointed with how BMW has chosen to limit options and color choices thus far.

I would want a "Sport" car due to the rims and seats. I would prefer wood trim over aluminum AND I'm not really wanting black, gray, or red seats. I also do not care for the black mirrors on the Sport car. To me, they only look right with a black car.

I do hope BMW decides to make more changes and not hold us to these lines as shown thus far.
RETIRED: '08 650i, '07 530i, '06 330i, '00 323ciC
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
I agree with you all, seems like too many constraints. Does anyone know what seats are available in the non-sports line cars? All of the pictures I've seen appear to have sport seats (thigh extensions) only. Hoping standard seats have improved from E90.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #17
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
I agree with you all, seems like too many constraints. Does anyone know what seats are available in the non-sports line cars? All of the pictures I've seen appear to have sport seats (thigh extensions) only. Hoping standard seats have improved from E90.
Standard e90 seats are nice, the e90 sport seats were amazing, hopefully the F30 carries on in that regard
      11-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
brosher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
Why do the pics from the lines thread show sport seats in all three?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosher View Post
Why do the pics from the lines thread show sport seats in all three?
Because BMW want the press to report on the continued outstanding handling of the 3 series cars. Accordingly, they only provided sport line vehicles, fully loaded with options, for the press preview/introduction events. Clearly I haven't driven one of the new ones, but I would not be one bit surprised to find the luxury and modern variants, lacking the sport suspension and other performance/handling goodies, drive more like a Lexus than like the outgoing e9x series cars.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

majority of 3sereis sold will probably be 328 modern or luxury with premium
      11-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #21
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

The worst equipment constraint in Canada IMO is that you want a I6, you'll have to spend +15 000$ more for a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #22
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
The worst equipment constraint in Canada IMO is that you want a I6, you'll have to spend +15 000$ more for a 335i.

Not quite as much of a difference in price here, but a good point all the same.

Appreciate 0