E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > KW v3 + Matte Black 3-M Vinyl Trim

11-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 550i xDrive

KW v3 + Matte Black 3-M Vinyl Trim

Took a trip to Charleston, SC this Veteran's Day weekend to see my friends Karl at European Road and Racing and John at Pleasant Details. Karl and his brother Martin hooked me up with the KW v3 and John and David vinyl wrapped my atrocious satin aluminum exterior trim, for which I am eternally grateful.

Now, Karl's a race car driver, and he was kind enough to provide a near death experience on an on-ramp (thanks Karl it was awesome!) to illustrate the vastly improved (understatement) handling characteristics of an E92 335i with a proper suspension. I think it's fair to describe the stock shocks and springs as utterly inadequate. Body roll, especially sans the stiffer run-flat tires I deleted late last year, was pronounced, and the "floating" feeling I experienced at speed on the highway (for instance, while changing lanes and running over a bump at the same time) did not inspire much confidence. In the short time since the installation, the KW v3 has eliminated those concerns completely. While going around a corner, the odd item inside the car will fly off the seat and into the door as I say to myself "What was that?" See, I am not used to things flying off the seat without feeling like the car was halfway towards flipping over. Solid, planted, and flat - words I'd use to describe cornering now. And given a chance to go fast, it's pretty cool - the faster you go, the more confidence you feel from the steering wheel down through the chassis to the road. That is the opposite of what used to happen.

My hope is to take the car to some driver's education events down here in the SE, get it on the track, and really put the suspension to work in its most familiar environment. Might need a brake kit upgrade before then, but I'll get there...

Here are some pics all the way from taking delivery at the dealer, to just wheels and tires, to the finished (for the time being) product. After the original pic, I put them in pairs for comparison's sake. Last pic's just an extra that I liked. And no, I am not a professional photographer .

Take it easy.

- BR
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Awesome. Sounds like a great upgrade, well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
kred
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i 6mt

exactly what i want my car to look like. good job.
      11-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
KidSupreme
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i m sport

man they needa come up with a front lip for this model asap lol
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looks good. If you are going to track the car I would do:

1 - LSD
2 - Dedicated square wheel/tire setup
3 - M3 suspension bits

No need for a full up brake kit unless you plan on heavy tracking (100+ laps/year). Pads, Motul, and SS lines are more than adequate for light to medium track use. However, I wouldn't spend any more money on mods until you are comfortable with the car and use that $ for track days with an instructor.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

MTEC kit front and rear, m3 sides, and CSL boot...that thing would be epicly sick lol
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post

1 - LSD
3 - M3 suspension bits

No need for a full up brake kit unless you plan on heavy tracking (100+ laps/year). Pads, Motul, and SS lines are more than adequate for light to medium track use. However, I wouldn't spend any more money on mods until you are comfortable with the car and use that $ for track days with an instructor.
Why square set up? Curious.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Richards View Post
Took a trip to Charleston, SC this Veteran's Day weekend to see my friends Karl at European Road and Racing and John at Pleasant Details. Karl and his brother Martin hooked me up with the KW v3 and John and David vinyl wrapped my atrocious satin aluminum exterior trim, for which I am eternally grateful.

Now, Karl's a race car driver, and he was kind enough to provide a near death experience on an on-ramp (thanks Karl it was awesome!) to illustrate the vastly improved (understatement) handling characteristics of an E92 335i with a proper suspension. I think it's fair to describe the stock shocks and springs as utterly inadequate. Body roll, especially sans the stiffer run-flat tires I deleted late last year, was pronounced, and the "floating" feeling I experienced at speed on the highway (for instance, while changing lanes and running over a bump at the same time) did not inspire much confidence. In the short time since the installation, the KW v3 has eliminated those concerns completely. While going around a corner, the odd item inside the car will fly off the seat and into the door as I say to myself "What was that?" See, I am not used to things flying off the seat without feeling like the car was halfway towards flipping over. Solid, planted, and flat - words I'd use to describe cornering now. And given a chance to go fast, it's pretty cool - the faster you go, the more confidence you feel from the steering wheel down through the chassis to the road. That is the opposite of what used to happen.

My hope is to take the car to some driver's education events down here in the SE, get it on the track, and really put the suspension to work in its most familiar environment. Might need a brake kit upgrade before then, but I'll get there...

Here are some pics all the way from taking delivery at the dealer, to just wheels and tires, to the finished (for the time being) product. After the original pic, I put them in pairs for comparison's sake. Last pic's just an extra that I liked. And no, I am not a professional photographer .

Take it easy.

- BR
Window trim looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Why square set up? Curious.
Many reasons! Reduces understeer, more stable in corners, can rotate tires, less expensive tires, etc... Staggered is just for looks or launching from a dig. Also, use 17" or 18" for a dedicated setup...I highly recommend APEX ARC-8 or Kosei K1's.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

looks real sick!

sg reflectors ASAP!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
b00sted4v
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

love the vinly wrapped trim, looking to take mine off sand them down and spray them black
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
looks great! Love the space gray and blacked out look

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

+85

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidSupreme View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
looks awesome
      11-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
rovensail
Skipper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
What would John charge me to do my trim Monday morning. I'll be passing through and would love to have it done.
2006 325i Ext:Electric Red/Int:Black
1985 528e Ext:Baltic Blue/Int:Pacific Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Awesome. Sounds like a great upgrade, well worth it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kred View Post
exactly what i want my car to look like. good job.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidSupreme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
MTEC kit front and rear, m3 sides, and CSL boot...that thing would be epicly sick lol
You know, I hear what you're saying, but after almost 18 months I don't mind the front so much. One thing I'm un-inclined to do is slap an M3 front bumper on there - I would insist on something relatively unique. Saw an AC Schnitzer (I think) front bumper sometime half-recently that I liked...and that I'd never seen on another car. Here's a question - can you slap a rear e90 M3 bumper on my e92 335's rear end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post

1 - LSD
3 - M3 suspension bits

You mean you wouldn't recommend a 20" wheel/tire setup??? Ha just kidding. To your point at the end of your comment, damn straight - the next pile of $ I spend will be for someone to learn me the ways of REAL driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Window trim looks amazing.
You're not lying - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
looks real sick!

sg reflectors ASAP!
Fair enough . I'll get on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****ed4v View Post
love the vinly wrapped trim, looking to take mine off sand them down and spray them black
Definitely another approach - but John sold me on the vinyl. It lasts (he's had his whole M Class wrapped for 2 years and it's still holding up), it's not permanent (can remove if you change your mind, or sell the car, or...) and it protects the satin aluminum in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
looks great! Love the space gray and blacked out look
What do they say about great minds ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh06lau View Post
looks awesome
Much obliged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovensail View Post
What would John charge me to do my trim Monday morning. I'll be passing through and would love to have it done.
Can't speak for him, but he charged me $100 per side including the B-pillar piece that was already gloss black. We needed to wrap it too so we could achieve the complete the matte look. Give him a call at 843-568-0247.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #17
rovensail
Skipper
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
@Ben I'm having it done Monday! Thanks for the heads up!
-Chip
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #18
Ben Richards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovensail View Post
@Ben I'm having it done Monday! Thanks for the heads up!
-Chip
Post pics when you can!

- BR
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
rovensail
Skipper
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Richards View Post
Post pics when you can!

- BR
Sorry for the crummy iPhone pics...this is one from the day I bought the car, and one from this afternoon, showing almost the complete transformation...I really think the cars look like two different vehicles, and I'm sure that sounds like Captain Obvious speaking...anywho:

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
fccelticfan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Garage List
Great looking car, I'm looking at a suspension setup as my first major upgrade after the turn of the year. I'm torn between my stock wheels and getting the black ones (which look very nice).

Cheers!
1972 3.0CS
2001 M5 (retired)
Appreciate 0