E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > M3 Steering Wheel Installed- Paddles NOT Working!

11-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
M3 Steering Wheel Installed- Paddles NOT Working!

New M3 w/DCT paddles installed tonight. One problem... the paddles aren't working? Post up if you have any possible solutions. Sport wheel with paddles came off the car. New wheel came with paddles installed and harness/wires. Did I forget to do something? Buttons work!
Attached Images

Sprt, Prem, Nav l 19" Avant Garde M310's- Matte Gunmetal l Black Grills l M3 Wheel w/LCI Paddles l M Spt l BMW Perf Rear l M3 Spoiler l Cyba 4" Blk Chrm tips l AW refl l Tint l GP Thunder 8500K l Stop Tech Rotors l Perf Shiftr/Boot l BMS JB4 Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Just wanted to say, Beautiful wheel! But yeah, there has to be a missing connection for the new paddles.
      11-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Did you make sure the paddles were connected to the back of the multifunction buttons?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
The paddles are smarter than you think. They know where they are. Now you just have to buy an M3, move the wheel into that car, and the paddles will work fine.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6015.50
      11-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Did you make sure the paddles were connected to the back of the multifunction buttons?
Yes, they're connected.

Sprt, Prem, Nav l 19" Avant Garde M310's- Matte Gunmetal l Black Grills l M3 Wheel w/LCI Paddles l M Spt l BMW Perf Rear l M3 Spoiler l Cyba 4" Blk Chrm tips l AW refl l Tint l GP Thunder 8500K l Stop Tech Rotors l Perf Shiftr/Boot l BMS JB4 Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP5 View Post
Yes, they're connected.
Double check connections.... verify because they may have become loose.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
The paddles are smarter than you think. They know where they are. Now you just have to buy an M3, move the wheel into that car, and the paddles will work fine.
1 this is funny. LoL

Would there be an extra harness/connection within the M3 that connects to the main that you might be missing? Dunno, seems weird not to work if it's a direct bolt-on.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
paddles are not interchangeable.
if your car had SSG paddles and you added SMG or LCI its not just plug and play.

if this is what you did, you can get it to work. what type was on your car before?
      11-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
paddles are not interchangeable.
if your car had SSG paddles and you added SMG or LCI its not just plug and play.

if this is what you did, you can get it to work. what type was on your car before?
The car is a 2011 and has the new LCI paddles (not SSG) that have the + on one and the - on the other. Each one only shifts one direction like the DCT paddles. However, there are only two wires on the LCI paddles and there are three wires on the DCT paddles. I thought the DCT paddles would only have two wires- the ground and the wire carry the current.

Anyone know if the LCI paddles fit the paddle hole in the new M3 wheel? Save me some time disassembling if you know please.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
the SSG, LCI and DCT paddles are different, as you stated. The LCI ones have a resistor in them, and lack the third wire.

you will get this sorted out but its above my pay grade. we need to get the resident paddle expert on this, im certain he'll set this straight.

im going to PM 1QuikWS6 with a link to this thread hopefully we'll hear back.

Last edited by B-737; 11-14-2011 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
This is some good info. I too will be looking at getting nice lil upgrades like an M wheel. This preliminary info is nice. I know what to watch out for now. Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Someone out there has got to know how to make these work on the LCI car...

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
in the interest in showing you the differences check out these two pictorials from the DIY located here...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600729

when Quik gets back to us he'll know definitively
      11-14-2011, 02:08 AM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
IDK what kind of DCT paddles you have, but they only have 2 wires - not 3...

The SSG paddles that can upshift/downshift on each paddle have 3 wires - (1) for upshift signal, (1) for downshift signal, (1) for ground

DCT paddles that upshift one side/downshift other side have 2 wires (1) for either the upshift or downshift (depending on side) and (1) for ground.

Basically, all these paddles are just completing a circuit to ground in order to complete shift.

Check your DCT paddles again and tell us whether there are 2 or 3 wires coming off them.

LCI paddles definitely need to be modified to work on pre-LCI cars, don't know at this point whether their MFB are also different. Really not too much that can be different as the MFB simply pass the paddle signal thru to the wheel side of the slip ring.

Post up pics of the DCT paddle wire connectors showing number of wires and Pin #'s they are connected to in the end plugs & pics of the original LCI paddle wire connectors showing the same detail.

It may be that you simply have to swap what terminal the wires go to on the DCT connectors to match what the LCI have...

As a test, you could manually wire the DCT paddles as per the 1st diagram above from B-737 for M3 DCT (essentially bypass the MFB & go directly from paddle connector to black connector at wheel side of slip ring).

If that still doesn't work, there has to be another wiring difference from backside of wheel slip ring on LCI cars vs pre-LCI cars
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Without having any pics - check this 1st:

Look at the black connectors on ends of your original LCI paddles, should be (2) wires. If you look real close on the black connector, there are numbers on the pin connections 1 thru 3. Take note as to which slots the LCI wires are in (i.e. 2 & 3, 1 & 3, 1 & 2, etc)

Then go look at the new DCT paddle connectors - again, should be (2) wires. See which slots those wires are in. If they are NOT in the same slots as your LCI paddles, then use a tiny screwdriver to push in on the locking tab of the metal pin on end of wire that is inserted in black connector while pulling on the wire at the same time to remove. Then push the metal pins back into the black connectors in the same slots that the wires are in on the LCI paddles.

If the wires on the DCT paddle connectors were NOT in the same numbered slots as the LCI paddles - that is the problem. Putting them in the correct numbered slots to match LCI paddle connectors should fix the problem.

If this is not the case, and the DCT paddles are in same slots as LCI paddles - then get back to us and we'll try something else...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
wanlong
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci

it wont work, and your DS should not be working as well.

for 2010 and before cars, ssg/dct paddles are just completing a circuit to ground in order to complete shift. Thats why by removing the resistors from lci paddles, they have the same functionality as ssg/dct paddles and will work on 2010 and before cars.

for 2011 cars, lci paddles are not connecting to grand anymore (no pin#2), and resistors are connecting between pin#1 and #3.

To make the dct paddles work on 2011 cars, I think the missing resistors need to add back to dct paddles in order to have the same functionality as lci paddles. I am working on add resistors back, will report after I finished.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
wanlong
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci

to op, the lci paddles will fit on m3 wheel, you can put on your original paddles and they will all work. Save you some time to make dct paddles working and sell them.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've got both wheels apart and pics of both below...

Points to clarify:
  • 2011 E90 LCI with factory Sport wheel w/ the new LCI paddles

Moving to the new M3 wheel with M Paddles (I was referring to these as DCT, bad info I think). Hopefully the Pics help.

Both paddles only do one function each on both the M3 and LCI.

Both sets of paddles only have 2 wires coming out (I was incorrect when I said 3 on the M/DCT paddle earlier).

The wires in the LCI paddles are terminated in position 1 & 3.

The wires in the M paddles are terminated in position 2 & 3.

The GRAY wires with Black Stripe in M paddle are terminated in position 3.

Question- According to post above, should I move the solid Gray wire to position 1?

Anything else you notice from the pics?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #19
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Look at the black connectors on ends of your original LCI paddles, should be (2) wires. If you look real close on the black connector, there are numbers on the pin connections 1 thru 3. Take note as to which slots the LCI wires are in (i.e. 2 & 3, 1 & 3, 1 & 2, etc)

Then go look at the new DCT paddle connectors - again, should be (2) wires. See which slots those wires are in. If they are NOT in the same slots as your LCI paddles, then use a tiny screwdriver to push in on the locking tab of the metal pin on end of wire that is inserted in black connector while pulling on the wire at the same time to remove. Then push the metal pins back into the black connectors in the same slots that the wires are in on the LCI paddles.

If the wires on the DCT paddle connectors were NOT in the same numbered slots as the LCI paddles - that is the problem. Putting them in the correct numbered slots to match LCI paddle connectors should fix the problem.

If this is not the case, and the DCT paddles are in same slots as LCI paddles - then get back to us and we'll try something else...

Is the above a guess or something you know to be accurate for the 2011 LCI model? See Wanlong's post above.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanlong View Post
to op, the lci paddles will fit on m3 wheel, you can put on your original paddles and they will all work. Save you some time to make dct paddles working and sell them.
Everyone that's responded or PM'd me says they will not fit...that the cutouts are different. Guess it's time to check for myself.

All- I really appreciate the help, but if you're guessing vs. you've done it then please don't post up. My car's in pieces and this is taking a lot of everyone's time. Again, appreciate the try!

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

+1 do this
wire them into the slip ring connector directly. I have a 2011, i did this and it worked.

Pin #4 and into pin #6. send the other leads to ground. the pins your remove, tape them up.
      11-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #22
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just swapped my LCI paddles off of my sport wheel for the M paddles on the M3 wheel and they fit perfectly. The tabs lined up and the screw hole is perfectly lined up. DONE!

I don't use the paddles enough to worry about which ones they are, I just wanted them to work.

I now have a brand new set of M paddles for sale!

Thanks to all who provided input!!!

Appreciate 0