E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Interesting experience with BMW parts dealer...

11-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Interesting experience with BMW parts dealer...

Okay, so over the weekend i went to this BMW parts warehouse to inquire about some xenon headlight (i plan on doing a conversion) and when i told him that i wanted to do a conversion he refused to give me the price of headlights. He said I would be wasting my time and that he would have to charge me $1,000 dollars in coding. He said it was $1,000 because all electrical components on E90 BMW's are specific to their vin number (anti theft strategy apparently) and that he would have code the entire system of the car for it work properly and the reason for that was if you don't code the entire car then it will start a chain reaction of multiple systems failing in the car. So in simple terms if the vin numbers of the part don't match then it won't work. He also said the reason it would 1k to code is because he uses official BMW software and that most local coders use a patch software that ends up destroying the systems of the car.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by respectBMW; 11-07-2011 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: too long
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Is it just me or when I see a paragraph that large it makes me not want to read it..

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
JS82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy04 View Post
Is it just me or when I see a paragraph that large it makes me not want to read it..
+1

OP, please edit your post and I'm sure you'll get the right answers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Okay i edited it. Sorry i was kinda rambling with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Haus_07
E85 is my friend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by respectBMW View Post
Ummmmm.... Are you sure it was edited???
//sparkling graphite metallic // sport package // logic 7 // m-tech wheel // HID fogs // LED angels // M3 style CF hood // matte black kindney's // AFE DCI // kittyless DP's // custom SS exhaust // Godspeed FMIC // 15ohm JB4// DV Mod //
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
now its 5 sentences... now i think you guys can provide some input
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haus_07 View Post
Ummmmm.... Are you sure it was edited???
Paragraphs are your Friend...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey Guy.

I would advise you NOT to put $300. much less more into a Headlight System for a 2006 328.

Put that $1,000. toward buying something to Run with the "Big Dawgs"...like me!!

Be patient Young Grasshopper...
Good Things will come your way.
Take good care of what you have for the Moment and Enjoy Life!!

ETA: That guy was right in the respect of with BMW's --Change a Light9Be it Foglamp, Different Headlamp, etc.) It can and Does cause a "Chain Reaction" and a "Disturbance in The Force" that is difficult to diagnose and Remedy.

PS Your car is a Beauty. Enjoy!!
So leave the Aftermarket add-ons OFF your car and save: Time, $$ and Grief!!

Last edited by x26; 11-07-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Hey Guy.

I would advise you NOT to put $300. much less more into a Headlight System for a 2006 328.

Put that $1,000. toward buying something to Run with the "Big Dawgs"...like me!!

Be patient Young Grasshopper...
Good Things will come your way.
Take good care of what you have for the Moment and Enjoy Life!!

ETA: That guy was right in the respect of with BMW's --Change a Light9Be it Foglamp, Different Headlamp, etc.) It can and Does cause a "Chain Reaction" and a "Disturbance in The Force" that is difficult to diagnose and Remedy.

PS Your car is a Beauty. Enjoy!!
So leave the Aftermarket add-ons OFF your car and save: Time, $$ and Grief!!
Well you see i was not going to spend $1,000 on coding because i thought that was ridiculous and i will not go aftermarket. If i do a conversion it will be the OEM way.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Lmao this thread turned into us telling the guy how to fix his thread.

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Yeah, I noticed that. I just want people give their opinions on the situation i was in.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I would just go with the aftermarket lights. Here is a good set. http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/3-Se...duct_info.html
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Haus_07
E85 is my friend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335

Quote:

I actually feel kinda bad about that, so sorry OP, and I'll throw in some advice too.

1 - Be carefully what you buy if you go the eBay route. Sure, there are some great deals out there, but just because the verbage in the auction says "works on BMW 9x series" or whatever, do some research on the particular item that peaked your interest. There are many unscrupulous people/companies out there who will say just about anything to get your money, and their products are not always the best of quality, or may not work with your car.

2 - BMW's are very picky cars, especially when it comes electronics/lighting. Just trying to convert my halogen H-11 fogs over to HID was an absolute headache. Any time you change from one type of lighting system to another, you going to have to add an electronic device that fools the system into thinking its still running halogen. HID systems do not have the same impedence as halogen systems, so your car will think you have a bulb out, throw a warning, and cut power to the device(s) in question. I know....first hand!! There's a ton of info on this subject on this forum and the web. Do your homework!!

3 - Like the link another member posted to Jlevi, there are many companies out there (like the ones associated with e90post) that have the knowledge on how to do what you are trying to do, and do it the correct way. You really don't want to cut corners with these cars because you can end up regretting that you even thought about messing with them.

4 - Do you see how I split my different thoughts up with a space before I got into another subject? That's what the guys are talking about/looking for in a post. Think of it this way. When you type one big, long, rambling thought addressing many different questions, it's like talking to the bubble gum chewing blonde cheerleader who's just running her mouth faster than you blink. You lose interest in what she's saying real quick, even if it was something important. You'll have much better luck getting the information/recommendations your looking for if you break up your thoughts into manageable paragraphs (don't forget to put a space between them!!!) Not trying to be a dick in any way; just a little friendly advice on how to get the most out of this forum!!

5 - Good luck man, and I hope you get what your looking for. Remember, knowledge is key with these cars. Get involved in whatever mod you've got the itch for at the time. Search the forums, search the web, call some of the BMW speciality shops. The more you know about your car, the better off your gonna be, and could help someone else who's looking to do the same to his car with your wealth of knowledge you've attained from all your research on the subject!! Good luck bro, and post your results or other questions.
//sparkling graphite metallic // sport package // logic 7 // m-tech wheel // HID fogs // LED angels // M3 style CF hood // matte black kindney's // AFE DCI // kittyless DP's // custom SS exhaust // Godspeed FMIC // 15ohm JB4// DV Mod //

Last edited by Haus_07; 11-08-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
I actually feel kinda bad about that, so sorry OP, and I'll throw in some advice too.

1 - Be carefully what you buy if you go the eBay route. Sure, there are some great deals out there, but just because the verbage in the auction says "works on BMW 9x series" or whatever, do some research on the particular item that peaked your interest. There are many unscrupulous people/companies out there who will say just about anything to get your money, and their products are not always the best of quality, or may not work with your car.

2 - BMW's are very picky cars, especially when it comes electronics/lighting. Just trying to convert my halogen H-11 fogs over to HID was an absolute headache. Any time you change from one type of lighting system to another, you going to have to add an electronic device that fools the system into thinking its still running halogen. HID systems do not have the same impedence as halogen systems, so your car will think you have a bulb out, throw a warning, and cut power to the device(s) in question. I know....first hand!! There's a ton of info on this subject on this forum and the web. Do your homework!!

3 - Like the link another member posted to Jlevi, there are many companies out there (like the ones associated with e90post) that have the knowledge on how to do what you are trying to do, and do it the correct way. You really don't want to cut corners with these cars because you can end up regretting that you even thought about messing with them.

4 - Do you see how I split my different thoughts up with a space before I got into another subject? That's what the guys are talking about/looking for in a post. Think of it this way. When you type one big, long, rambling thought addressing many different questions, it's like talking to the bubble gum chewing blonde cheerleader who's just running her mouth faster than you blink. You lose interest in what she's saying real quick, even if it was something important. You'll have much better luck getting the information/recommendations your looking for if you break up your thoughts into manageable paragraphs (don't forget to put a space between them!!!) Not trying to be a dick in any way; just a little friendly advice on how to get the most out of this forum!!

5 - Good luck man, and I hope you get what your looking for. Remember, knowledge is key with these cars. Get involved in whatever mod you've got the itch for at the time. Search the forums, search the web, call some of the BMW speciality shops. The more you know about your car, the better off your gonna be, and could help someone else who's looking to do the same to his car with your wealth of knowledge you've attained from all your research on the subject!! Good luck bro, and post your results or other questions.

Quote:
      11-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks.
I have done my research using this forum in regards to wiring and coding. They all seem like something i can with the help of someone else. The only things was that when this guy was telling me all this stuff it kind of shot down what i was planning to do.
However, i trust this forum and from what i read this conversion can be done as long as the proper steps are taken.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

the xenon headlights alone are nearly $1000 each new, so be prepared to spend some money on this if you truly want to go through with it. You can probably find some used, but you'll have to make sure they don't have broken mounting tabs and such.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
the xenon headlights alone are nearly $1000 each new, so be prepared to spend some money on this if you truly want to go through with it. You can probably find some used, but you'll have to make sure they don't have broken mounting tabs and such.
I am always on the look out for parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:

Fantastic Post!!
Bravo!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #19
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Thanks.
I have done my research using this forum in regards to wiring and coding. They all seem like something i can with the help of someone else. The only things was that when this guy was telling me all this stuff it kind of shot down what i was planning to do.
However, i trust this forum and from what i read this conversion can be done as long as the proper steps are taken.
It seems that you already Know Everything??

WTF Did you even bother to ask??

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

The proper place to ask this question is actually on this forum:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

You will probably have better luck with aftermarket HID conversions/replacements. Stock HIDs are not only coded with the footwell module (or whatever module controls the lights on your particular model), but there is a lot of additional wiring for ride level sensors to aim the headlights, different connectors for the HID versus halogen units, and other possible unforseen issues.
      11-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
It seems that you already Know Everything??

WTF Did you even bother to ask??

Because i was unsure on the coding aspect of the retrofit. I wanted to see if i could get some reassurance, which i needed after i had the discussion with the parts dealer.

Honestly, i wanted to get in a full blown argument with the guy.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
The proper place to ask this question is actually on this forum:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

You will probably have better luck with aftermarket HID conversions/replacements. Stock HIDs are not only coded with the footwell module (or whatever module controls the lights on your particular model), but there is a lot of additional wiring for ride level sensors to aim the headlights, different connectors for the HID versus halogen units, and other possible unforseen issues.
Well on wiring DIY's the footwell module can be avoided. Also I am not too concerned with xenon modules ( auto leveling and adaptive) because my car is not pre wired for those functions.
Appreciate 0