E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New BMW M3 Owner - Acceleration Techniques / Other tips?

11-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
iw_miked
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan (Jerez Black)

Lightbulb New BMW M3 Owner - Acceleration Techniques / Other tips?

Hey everyone!

I recently (early Sept) got myself a brand-spanking new Jerez Black 2011 M3 (Sedan), Comp. Pack, w/ DCT & DriveLogic. It's a hot car!

So, I'm new to the whole BMW Performance Car crowd and was wondering if I could get some tips/answers from you advanced drivers?

Best way to accelerate (using the Sequential mode)?
Sometimes, when I press about 50-60% on the gas, my acceleration is not smooth and starts to (not really stutter) but bounce? As if my foot is not steady enough on the gas pedal so it bounces back and forth. What are some techniques to help with this? Is it my foot? Or should I be slamming it all the way down each time? Or, maybe a better position for my foot? Like heel all the at the bottom of the pedal?

Brake Squeeking--already?
When coming to a light, ranging from 1mph - 10mph, and pressing about 30% on the brake, I noticed that my brakes will squeek. Not a high-pitch like other cars, more like a person whistling tone. Is this common? Should I get it looked at?

What DCT Program do most people use for normal driving? And for fun?
I have been switching between D mode 3 and D mode 1. D mode 1 I like cause it's really "chill" but lately I like D mode 3 cause I like the feel of the acceleration.
For the fun stuff, I have on my M-setting set to Sequential Mode 5. Haven't explored DSC off enough to set my M-setting to Mode 6 just yet. :P

The RPM LED Lights not working?
So, when I have my M mode 5 enabled, I have it set to turn on the RPM LED lights, but I don't see them light up. I saw them light up once, and it went to the 2nd light and then went off. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Bug in the software?

Any other tips?
Best methods for turning, shifting, etc?

You guys can debate on what are the best practices, but I am pretty sure I'll try all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Might get better feedback in the M3 forum section mate.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
iw_miked
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan (Jerez Black)

Doh!! Just realized that, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
Power Hungry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 328i E90

Something very simple that I learned autocrossing for the bouncy acceleration; move your seat up a little. Had it happen to me with a very experienced driver in the car with me and he told me this and it fixed the problem.

With the seat a little too far away, when you accelerate quickly, it pushes you back in the seat therefore pulling your foot off the gas a bit which in turn slows you down so you move forward a bit and get your foot back on the gas and so on.

Seems way too simple, but it worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
tunachris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
The seat idea may be a good one. With the 2 settings on the sports seats, I have one setting for cruising and the second setting for running the twisties. I like to be much closer to the wheel when I am running the turns. Because I have a 6MT, it helps to heel-toe when going through a lot of corners, but being closer to the wheel also makes me feel like I am in more control.
      11-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunachris View Post
The seat idea may be a good one. With the 2 settings on the sports seats, I have one setting for cruising and the second setting for running the twisties. I like to be much closer to the wheel when I am running the turns. Because I have a 6MT, it helps to heel-toe when going through a lot of corners, but being closer to the wheel also makes me feel like I am in more control.
+1

congrats on your m3!
Appreciate 0