E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Taking the car for service: what to remove?

11-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Taking the car for service: what to remove?

I'm about to take my car (under warranty) for its scheduled service. I have LUX H8 installed in Angel Eyes as well as a Kuda-mounted GPS that draws power from the fuse box through a Add-A-Circuit tap.

I wonder if I should put back in the stock AE bulbs as well as remove the GPS power wire before taking the car for service to the dealer. Is this something that is generally recommended? Or should I be OK leaving these "mods" in place?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

No you're fine
      11-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Depends on your dealer.

Why don't you post in your regional forum and ask about your specific dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

You're fine.
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Absolutely nothing. Just get cool with one dealership and you're fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
No you're fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy J View Post
You're fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeFranco1 View Post
Absolutely nothing. Just get cool with one dealership and you're fine.

And I'm sure that you will all be glad to pay any of his future repair bills if you're wrong.

My advice was solid. Ask on the local forums about the particular dealership.

SD - how do you propose he "gets cool" with the dealership at this point?

You "get cool" with a dealership before you have any mods and discuss their stance on mods. If the seem "cool with mods" then you can discuss mods you are contemplating.

If a dealership isn't "cool with mods" then your mods may be annotated in their computer and you may be refused warranty service on future problems based on your mods today. It is very dealer specific.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
LUX and a GPS hardwire are both minor electrical mods. So only your electrical warranty would be void if the dealer chose to void it.

It depends on the dealer. I wouldn't be worried about them unless I had an electrical problem with my car. But like ceb said, check around the regional forum or even the dealer feedback/rating forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
LUX and a GPS hardwire are both minor electrical mods. So only your electrical warranty would be void if the dealer chose to void it.

It depends on the dealer. I wouldn't be worried about them unless I had an electrical problem with my car. But like ceb said, check around the regional forum or even the dealer feedback/rating forum.

Correct - but - can you provide an example (aside from suspension) where a failure can't be connected to an electrical issue?

Engine problems? Electrical. Brakes? ABS and all that other electrical stuff. Transmission? Electrical. That's because everything on our cars is controlled by a computer and a computer is...electrical.

All that said, it is unlikely that you'll have problems leaving the existing mods in, but the possibility exists. Are you willing to take that risk - no matter how small it may be - without checking on your dealership's position on mods first?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Correct - but - can you provide an example (aside from suspension) where a failure can't be connected to an electrical issue?

Engine problems? Electrical. Brakes? ABS and all that other electrical stuff. Transmission? Electrical. That's because everything on our cars is controlled by a computer and a computer is...electrical.

All that said, it is unlikely that you'll have problems leaving the existing mods in, but the possibility exists. Are you willing to take that risk - no matter how small it may be - without checking on your dealership's position on mods first?
Yes but all of those are tied to different modules. Lighting would be to the FRM. Engine, DME. It's rare that they would all fail but you're right the possibility does exist.

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't check, I'm just saying most will not care about such minor mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
And I'm sure that you will all be glad to pay any of his future repair bills if you're wrong.

My advice was solid. Ask on the local forums about the particular dealership.

SD - how do you propose he "gets cool" with the dealership at this point?

You "get cool" with a dealership before you have any mods and discuss their stance on mods. If the seem "cool with mods" then you can discuss mods you are contemplating.

If a dealership isn't "cool with mods" then your mods may be annotated in their computer and you may be refused warranty service on future problems based on your mods today. It is very dealer specific.
Just call the dealer and tall to service guy.......from a phone booth ....with hanki over the mouth piece...after inhaling helium.
Appreciate 0