E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > SOLAR POWER!!! - (ive bought in)

11-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

SOLAR POWER!!! - (ive bought in)

I have bought part of this company

www.voltasolar.co.uk

In my opinion what they have achieved this year is nothing short of amazing.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN THINKING about getting panels then you have UNTIL 12th December 2011 THIS YEAR to benefit from the full feed-in-tarrif of 43.3p per unit. As of the 12th december it goes down to 21ppu.

We offer an amazing service, can source any panel you are interested in and will be on the money for forum members.

Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Steve.
      11-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
That website threw up a malware warning on my PC
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

No problems here

Spoke to Steve earlier on the phone about solar panels for the restaurant - really interesting and definitely worth doing before December 12 if anyone is considering it.

Just trying to work out annual electricity usage here at the restaurant to figure out how much time it will take to recoup the cost of installation. Initial thoughts are about 3-4 years if I do a 12kW system, but then every year I could potentially save something like £8,000 !!! And electricity cost is only going to go up I've already fixed my restaurant's energy costs for the next two years, but the thought of what it's going to jump to after that is terrifying...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Great for a business on maybe an industrial estate, but I think they look to good on private homes.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Steve - wished I had known yesterday!!!!

Just paid a deposit to have a 3kw system installed and managed to secure an install date in 2 weeks time, so plenty in time before the feed-in tarriff reduction.

My system will pay back in 7 yrs according to the calcs and I have no plans to move from this house for a long time so hopefully a decent long term investment.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
script
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Same here! I'm actually in safe mode getting rid of the shit with Spybot!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
No problems here
Benefits of using a Mac! Don't think you have a regsrv32.exe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Yeah why does this web site need to register an .exe on my PC when going to the site. Whatever it is I'm not interested and level of trust in the site not being compromised just went to 0.

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: regsvr32 -s "0.5127044556065694.exe" error=1223
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
... 9 more

It might be some fancy graphics, but who in their right mind would put this on their web site. It could be a key logger or some other nasty malware for what I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Steve.
Fix the web site, as this will put off many customers.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

No problems on my PC. Could it be the immediate audio? Or AV software just making itself look a bit clever?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Might give you call after Xmas Steve, we have brought a new 3.7 acre site for work which we are currently modifying to our needs. I've been thinking about solar panels for the factory lighting and offices....this will make your eyes water we spend around £18,000 per month on electricity

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Dr G13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Whats the rough cost for all the parts required to buy a 3kv system upfront and what sort of size/space is needed for panels?

Not even considered it before so know nothing about it, all I know is a 3kv system would do me nicely.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I like the idea of solar panels on houses.

After the subsidy drops on 12/12/2011, if it is already taking 7 years for cost recovery, will that affect demand for your service?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
No problems on my PC. Could it be the immediate audio? Or AV software just making itself look a bit clever?
I can't get it to trigger anymore, but there is so much java, twitter feeds, google APIs on the site that it's could be any of them. It's possible that it could have come from these components and are not being sent anymore. Anyway you cut it, trying to run regsvr32 on clients machines through java is bad. Even it it means that your video or audio may not play properly then its better to design a site that works with all intended clients without behavior like this.

It was actually IE9 that prevented this from running, so no overaggressive AV or false positives. Visiting the site triggered some java code to try to regsvr32 an .exe with an obscure name. Under no circumstance should a web site be allowed to execute commands or processes on a client machine and most new browsers should prevent this.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Please sort the website, just spent 2 hours doing a full virus scan after the laptop threw a wobbly at work, thank god I was on my personal one and not the company system, the last thing I want is a frozen server.

Just read this report on Yahoo news. Have we spent out money wisely? possibly not!

"Quote" James Andrews, 9:26, Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Government has been accused of killing off the solar energy industry, putting 25,000 jobs at risk, by slashing the benefits available to those signing up.

"Thousands of enterprises will be bankrupt by Christmas," said Daniel Green, chief executive of solar firm HomeSun.

Previously, the Government paid a feed in tariff to people prepared to install solar panels. This meant that homeowners were paid for any power they generated and did not use. But this benefit has been cut in half, as of December 12.

Under the old system, people could earn £1,200 a year from their solar panels, on top of reducing their bills. This meant the outlay of several thousand pounds to install them could more easily be justified and that some companies were even offering to install panels free for a cut of the profits. It would now take up to 25 years to get a return on your investment.

"Greg Barker [energy and climate change minister] has proposed devastating and immediate cuts to the solar PV [photo voltaic] industry which could lead to 25,000 job losses by Christmas; on the same day Nick Clegg has announced an injection of £1 billion of tax payers' money into other projects with the 'potential' to create 35,000 jobs over the next few years," Green added

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"

Last edited by ZURICH; 11-02-2011 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Post news report
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #14
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
Might give you call after Xmas Steve, we have brought a new 3.7 acre site for work which we are currently modifying to our needs. I've been thinking about solar panels for the factory lighting and offices....this will make your eyes water we spend around £18,000 per month on electricity
Hi Paul, please do on very large installations cost go down quite dramatically due to economies of scale and the payback time is a lot quicker. You could save mega money of 25yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
No problems here

Spoke to Steve earlier on the phone about solar panels for the restaurant - really interesting and definitely worth doing before December 12 if anyone is considering it.

Just trying to work out annual electricity usage here at the restaurant to figure out how much time it will take to recoup the cost of installation. Initial thoughts are about 3-4 years if I do a 12kW system, but then every year I could potentially save something like £8,000 !!! And electricity cost is only going to go up I've already fixed my restaurant's energy costs for the next two years, but the thought of what it's going to jump to after that is terrifying...
Ill send you a PM later Tony with an exact breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G13 View Post
Whats the rough cost for all the parts required to buy a 3kv system upfront and what sort of size/space is needed for panels?

Not even considered it before so know nothing about it, all I know is a 3kv system would do me nicely.
Ill send you a PM aswell, thanks for the enquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
I like the idea of solar panels on houses.

After the subsidy drops on 12/12/2011, if it is already taking 7 years for cost recovery, will that affect demand for your service?

Some companies will see the drop as a negative. Some will see it as an opprtunity, the more companies wobble the stronger we'll become.

The 7 year payback is generally on a small system and the larger the system is the shorter the payback period is.

Electricity cost is predicted to at least double in the next 10 yrs. If a system can reduce these costs by 50% for example then over a period of 25 yrs, these savings will still be more than sufficient to recoup its cost, plus make a healthy profit. And look above at the £18000 per month electricity bill, to high value companies like that it'll still be a no brainer.

Another thing to look at, is the cost of the system itself will have to drop from the manufacturers. Demand will drop to start as people will be reeling from the slash in feed in tariff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZURICH View Post
Please sort the website, just spent 2 hours doing a full virus scan after the laptop threw a wobbly at work, thank god I was on my personal one and not the company system, the last thing I want is a frozen server.

Just read this report on Yahoo news. Have we spent out money wisely? possibly not!

"Quote" James Andrews, 9:26, Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Government has been accused of killing off the solar energy industry, putting 25,000 jobs at risk, by slashing the benefits available to those signing up.

"Thousands of enterprises will be bankrupt by Christmas," said Daniel Green, chief executive of solar firm HomeSun.

Previously, the Government paid a feed in tariff to people prepared to install solar panels. This meant that homeowners were paid for any power they generated and did not use. But this benefit has been cut in half, as of December 12.

Under the old system, people could earn £1,200 a year from their solar panels, on top of reducing their bills. This meant the outlay of several thousand pounds to install them could more easily be justified and that some companies were even offering to install panels free for a cut of the profits. It would now take up to 25 years to get a return on your investment.

"Greg Barker [energy and climate change minister] has proposed devastating and immediate cuts to the solar PV [photo voltaic] industry which could lead to 25,000 job losses by Christmas; on the same day Nick Clegg has announced an injection of £1 billion of tax payers' money into other projects with the 'potential' to create 35,000 jobs over the next few years," Green added
This info here really is scaremongering, the 25yr payback is just wrong. even if the systems stayed the same price the payback would even double as they dont take into the price increase of electricity.

Are they as good with a lower feed in tariff? Clearly not.

Are they still a very sound investment? Yes they are.

Just an example on shares. Apple 12 month ago when i bought then were $250 per share now they are $400 per share. So if i buy now my potential ROI is lower than 12 months ago, but i stll buy them every 1/4 because i will still make money on all of them as these will be $600 per share in 2 yrs time.

Solar panels are still a good investment, but to get the best investment on them get them fitted before 12th december 2011. On this i can help you.
      11-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #15
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

To everyone that has had PC problems I'm very sorry, I'm not IT savy and don't really understand what you've encountered, but I will pass these comments onto the people who deal with this to have a look at. I've opened this site on numerous computers without a problem.
      11-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #16
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

hmm interesting have a company coming tommorow as they offering the freesetup. So they pay for the hardware and keep the money from the generation. Now as I dont have the capital to put down for install its seem a good option as I still get free power.

Especially now both myself and wife work from home and soon shes off on maternity leave it should help a lot. As hopefully our fuel bill will drop off.

How much the firm makes off the extra power i generate, well since I will be using most if it during the day I dont mind
      11-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #17
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Annoyingly i have a West / East facing house with no south facing roof space at all.

This surely puts me at a disadvantage ?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #18
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Annoyingly i have a West / East facing house with no south facing roof space at all.

This surely puts me at a disadvantage ?

You can have panels on either side of the roof ill ask someone to make a calculation for me and ill get back to you.

It is optimal to have a south facing roof, but east west is still ok and lots of people have these fitted and work well. These panels work off light and not just a direct hit.
      11-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #19
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
hmm interesting have a company coming tommorow as they offering the freesetup. So they pay for the hardware and keep the money from the generation. Now as I dont have the capital to put down for install its seem a good option as I still get free power.

Especially now both myself and wife work from home and soon shes off on maternity leave it should help a lot. As hopefully our fuel bill will drop off.

How much the firm makes off the extra power i generate, well since I will be using most if it during the day I dont mind
That sounds interesting: can you send me details of the company - could heat the house electrically during the day!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Am i right in thinking that to benefit from the higher rate you need to have it installed by Dec 12th, as opposed to just have it on order?

Also - once fitted - im guessing they are there for life and need no maintenance?

Sorry ... solar panels etc is all like witchcraft to me

Didnt the pagans try to harness the power of the sun - who knew - they were right all along
      11-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #21
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Steve,
If you aren't posting cost information publicly could you please add me to your list of people to pm? I'm not thinking of a home installation, I'm thinking of our office/factory in Wembley.

I'd be interested In how the economies of scale work to determine the potential 'Sweet spot' for us, so if you could base costs on a 3Kw system and an additional cost per Kw added. That do-able?

I'm right in thinking that this feed-in tarrif is a lock in date right? As long as you have a system installed (and presumably commissioned) by that date you qualify for the higher rate, but what duration is that commitment for?

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.

Last edited by sheps; 11-03-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #22
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

The FIT is paid for 25 yrs

Unfortunately it is unlikely that anyone will be able to order a PV installation now and have it installed and fully grid connected before the government slash it Mid Dec.
Appreciate 0