E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > pay the repair or insurance claim?

View Poll Results: Repair or insurance claim
repair 11 55.00%
insurance claim 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

11-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92

pay the repair or insurance claim?

so i posted a thread couple days ago about an A$$hole who hit and run my car leaving a huge scratch and dent. i can't find the A$$hole so its time to fix my bumper. got quote from 2-3 body shop, all say cost to replace the bumper is lower than repair.

so my question is:

repair: one shop said they could repair it for $700.
pro= no damage history record
cons= $700 out of own pocket and not sure about the quality.

insurance claim: replace bumper with mtech
pro= one shop quote $730 for just regular bumper w/o painting, which i could get mtech rep+perf diffuser, or just oem mtech.
cons= $300 deductible, premium increase, and minor accident report on car history.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
vzehler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Are you more concerned with the out of pocket expense now or the potential increase in premiums and loss of profits from selling the car long term?

Your answer to that question pretty much is the key on which route to go. Personally, if I had the money I would pay it out of pocket and consider it all a cosmetic upgrade, especially if I planned on doing it at some point anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Not sure why you'd have a premium increase for a hit and run. It would be a comprehensive claim not a collision. Your insurance will take pictures to record the damage. Keep a copy of the repair and pictures from the insurance for your files in case you sell the car in the future. I doubt it will hurt the resale of the car since it is just a bumper cover replacement; it is not like a major frame repair. I doubt this will be the last body repair you will have on your car, so why risk $400 on trying to keep a clean carfax record when something else in the future may necessitate a larger carfax-qualifying repair.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Not sure why you'd have a premium increase for a hit and run. It would be a comprehensive claim not a collision.
Correction: only fire and vandalism is considered a comp claim. Hit and runs are comparable to not at fault accidents. They can't rate you for it, but you still get dinged with the deductible.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

insurance claim. premium doesn't go up and I doubt there will be any history.....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
DigitalMPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Not sure why you'd have a premium increase for a hit and run. It would be a comprehensive claim not a collision. Your insurance will take pictures to record the damage. Keep a copy of the repair and pictures from the insurance for your files in case you sell the car in the future. I doubt it will hurt the resale of the car since it is just a bumper cover replacement; it is not like a major frame repair. I doubt this will be the last body repair you will have on your car, so why risk $400 on trying to keep a clean carfax record when something else in the future may necessitate a larger carfax-qualifying repair.
Hit and run is never a comp claim it would either fall under your uninsured motorists or your collision coverage and be coded not at fault.

All insurance companies have a threshold I know I work for one - usually a claim under $2k-2.5k will have no bearing on your rates. Now again take into account one of the criteria for rating is frequency which could be the only place this could come back to bite you if you have additional claims.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
tunachris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I would make a claim. If its a hit and run, your not at fault premiums won't go up. This is why you have insurance.
      11-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 328i M Sport White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzehler View Post
Are you more concerned with the out of pocket expense now or the potential increase in premiums and loss of profits from selling the car long term?

Your answer to that question pretty much is the key on which route to go. Personally, if I had the money I would pay it out of pocket and consider it all a cosmetic upgrade, especially if I planned on doing it at some point anyway.
agreed.

just get the M sport or some sort of new sporty rear bumper now and do not notify insurance.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
NjPrince
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 Comp

The point of insurance is to help you when its not your fault..put a claim and if you try to sell the car in the future explain everything it'll be alright!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

There's a good chance that an insurance claim on this won't end up on a CarFax anyways. I'm starting to think that they only have data on "real" accidents.

I've sold 2 cars. Both with insurance repairs done on them. One had the rear bumper repaired and repainted. The other had the rear bumper replaced and painted. I also reported both accidents to the DMV since the damage was in excess of $800. Neither of these showed up on CarFax when it came time to sell the cars.

Has anyone here had the reverse scenario? A minor repair that did show up on CarFax?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92

thanks guys,
i might just claim this with my insurance and get the mtech bumper.
also gonna order a csl trunk next month
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
vzehler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
There's a good chance that an insurance claim on this won't end up on a CarFax anyways. I'm starting to think that they only have data on "real" accidents.

I've sold 2 cars. Both with insurance repairs done on them. One had the rear bumper repaired and repainted. The other had the rear bumper replaced and painted. I also reported both accidents to the DMV since the damage was in excess of $800. Neither of these showed up on CarFax when it came time to sell the cars.

Has anyone here had the reverse scenario? A minor repair that did show up on CarFax?
I think it varies state to state. Here in Ohio an oil change at Midas shows up on a Carfax. Also, in years past I bought a vehicle in Kentucky that was totaled in Ohio. Apparently someone had re-titled the vehicle in Kentucky without the salvage title from Ohio. So I thought it was a clean title as the Kentucky title was clean but when I titled it in Ohio I ended up with a rebuilt title. Needless to say I was pissed but I later ran a Carfax, had I done that to begin with I would have not gotten burnt.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
CAcoltrane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e90

Quote:
It actually is not a comprehensive claim. Its a collision claim. I don't know about Washington but in California, if the damage is under 750 dollars then it won't go against you on your record. And that is changing to 1000 or under on December 11, 2011. So check with the state of Washington (DMV). Depending on your deductible, I would turn the claim in...

Last edited by CAcoltrane; 11-02-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
CAcoltrane
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMPower View Post
Hit and run is never a comp claim it would either fall under your uninsured motorists or your collision coverage and be coded not at fault.

All insurance companies have a threshold I know I work for one - usually a claim under $2k-2.5k will have no bearing on your rates. Now again take into account one of the criteria for rating is frequency which could be the only place this could come back to bite you if you have additional claims.
Again, if the damage is under 750, It won't do anything to your premium. But like I said, thats in California so check what Washington's limit is.

And the 750 doesn't really matter because it was not your fault. But it is a collision claim 100%. Not a comp claim

Last edited by CAcoltrane; 11-02-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

Let me know if you want an oem bumper
I can get it brand new for 125$
      11-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
CAcoltrane
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Correction: only fire and vandalism is considered a comp claim. Hit and runs are comparable to not at fault accidents. They can't rate you for it, but you still get dinged with the deductible.

Good luck
Wrong!!! It is NOT A comp claim 100%!!!!! And a comp claim could be many, many different things. Such as theft, fire, flood, if a tree falls on it, etc, A comp claim could be so many things
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a man late for work

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
In IL anyway, it wouldn't show up on carfax unless there was a police report filed. I can't imagine it varies from state to state as I would think it is carfax who dictates what is included...but I'm not them.
      11-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzehler View Post
I think it varies state to state. Here in Ohio an oil change at Midas shows up on a Carfax. Also, in years past I bought a vehicle in Kentucky that was totaled in Ohio. Apparently someone had re-titled the vehicle in Kentucky without the salvage title from Ohio. So I thought it was a clean title as the Kentucky title was clean but when I titled it in Ohio I ended up with a rebuilt title. Needless to say I was pissed but I later ran a Carfax, had I done that to begin with I would have not gotten burnt.
It varies wildly. I have owned two salvage-titled cars with perfectly clean carfax reports. But I knew what I was buying so I didn't care. One was a repaired collision 2000 Saab 9-5 from Oklahoma, the other a theft recovery '91 318is from New Hampshire.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #19
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcoltrane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post

Good luck
Wrong!!! It is NOT A comp claim 100%!!!!! And a comp claim could be many, many different things. Such as theft, fire, flood, if a tree falls on it, etc, A comp claim could be so many things
Lol dude what are you arguing?
I know there are multiple scenarios for a comp claim I was simply stating some examples. BTW it's a collision claim and everyone agrees so chill.

I'm an insurance professional, I wouldn't be advising this guy of how it works if I didn't know otherwise. Smartass....
Appreciate 0