E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LUX H8 V3 Error Codes!

10-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
aw328xi2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 328xi e92

LUX H8 V3 Error Codes!

So to start off, i am perfectly satisfied with the brightness and evenness of my LUX V3.
However, lately i've been getting errors. This is what i get:

LuxAngelEyes first told me that this error was due to the the shut off of the bulbs from high outdoor temperatures, in order to prevent over-heating.
The errors went away for a while, and came back every so often (once every one or two weeks).
Now the temperature in Toronto is 3-10 degrees celsius, and i'm getting errors almost every day.
Some days i don't get them if i'm lucky.
Can someone chime in? Anyone else having these problems?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw328xi2008 View Post
So to start off, i am perfectly satisfied with the brightness and evenness of my LUX V3.

LuxAngelEyes first told me that this error was due to the the shut off of the bulbs from high outdoor temperatures, in order to prevent over-heating.
The errors went away for a while, and came back every so often (once every one or two weeks).
Now the temperature in Toronto is 3-10 degrees celsius, and i'm getting errors almost every day.
If you continue to get these error messages please send me an E-mail Sales@LuxAngelEyes.com and we will get this issue fixed for you
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
aw328xi2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 328xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
If you continue to get these error messages please send me an E-mail Sales@LuxAngelEyes.com and we will get this issue fixed for you
thanks, i'll keep you updated!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I had these intermittent error codes pop up when I 1st installed the lux H8 v3 in my 09' E92 - Marc told me to keep track and get back to him. After first week they went away and never came back. Still don't know why this happened...

But then I also had constant error codes with the HPB CanBus HID Fogs - which should have never happened. Was sent out a new set of ballasts and the problem persisted. Eventually, I just coded out the cold/warm bulb checks for the fogs and the error is obviously gone.

Seems there is the off chance that your car can be very sensitive to bulb changes from oem equipment & I got luck enough to get one of them
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
mjollnir19
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i DINAN 3

Garage List
i just got lux also and got errors as well on the left side... i hope it goes away...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
eaglesfan83
FIRE TOEZ!!!!!
Rep
Drives: Pending Order

Garage List
Im sure Lux will take care of you guys if there is issues. I have not run into any with mine.
Pending- Something New and BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
mjollnir19
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i DINAN 3

Garage List
man i hope so...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
there shouldn't be errors
      11-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I had intermittent errors as well but not on LUX V3s. I used the same drivers for my custom angel eyes but they had a CTL and REF pin to control the brightness via a 5K pot, which I replaced with an automated setup. Turning the pot down would make my car throw an error.

Anyway, I ended up coding out the bulb check system.

The drivers consume close to 35W but not quite. Try adding a 1 or 2 ohm resistor in between the driver and the connection at the headlight.

The resistor value I gave you is calculated off my car which has the angel eyes run around 7.7v, 35W. Not sure what voltage your car is getting but you can use the power equation to caulculate resistor size.

R = V^2/P

Not EVERY driver will be built to output a constant, EXACT 1A. Some will output a bit less some a bit more. So there is going to be a few units that will throw these errors. Only my passenger side was throwing the errors but I coded out the bulb check system for both sides.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Slimer777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I had these intermittent error codes pop up when I 1st installed the lux H8 v3 in my 09' E92 - Marc told me to keep track and get back to him. After first week they went away and never came back. Still don't know why this happened...

But then I also had constant error codes with the HPB CanBus HID Fogs - which should have never happened. Was sent out a new set of ballasts and the problem persisted. Eventually, I just coded out the cold/warm bulb checks for the fogs and the error is obviously gone.

Seems there is the off chance that your car can be very sensitive to bulb changes from oem equipment & I got luck enough to get one of them
From what I am reading here, I don't think the V3 is better than V1. My problem started out like yours, first codes then the driver's side lowbeam failing every so often and eventually the whole lighting system.

By all means, do not code out these errors. This will eventually give you more problems just like mine. I didn't think codes were important, I have been driving with one lowbeam for a year! And eventually paid thousands to replace my lighting computer and both ballasts for the lowbeams! And you don't want to know the details

Just unplug them before it turns into a disaster. Can the maker guarantee that their solution is solid? Yeah, right. Throw a code when the unit thinks the temperature is too high? The headlights are supposed to work at those temperatures and even higher with a regular H8 bulb! That's not a complete replacement solution. Yes, they look good when they work but is it worth it? That would be up to you.

For anyone who has have such a disaster, lets share our experiences.

Thanks guys for helping me make a decision! not to give the V3 a chance!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimer777 View Post
From what I am reading here, I don't think the V3 is better than V1. My problem started out like yours, first codes then the driver's side lowbeam failing every so often and eventually the whole lighting system.

By all means, do not code out these errors. This will eventually give you more problems just like mine. I didn't think codes were important, I have been driving with one lowbeam for a year! And eventually paid thousands to replace my lighting computer and both ballasts for the lowbeams! And you don't want to know the details

Just unplug them before it turns into a disaster. Can the maker guarantee that their solution is solid? Yeah, right. Throw a code when the unit thinks the temperature is too high? The headlights are supposed to work at those temperatures and even higher with a regular H8 bulb! That's not a complete replacement solution. Yes, they look good when they work but is it worth it? That would be up to you.

For anyone who has have such a disaster, lets share our experiences.

Thanks guys for helping me make a decision! not to give the V3 a chance!
The temp cutoff shuts the driver OFF. That means there is no current draw from the headlight which = an error on the dash.

It's a feature of the driver and NOT by LUX AE. Most led drivers have temp cutoff.

I really don't think the angel eyes have anything to do with your FRM module and ballasts neededing to be replaced.

Your lack of inntiaive to fix your headlight for over a year means your ballast was trying to spark a dead bulb, repeatedly. You kinda set yourself up for that.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I've had LUX H8 V3s on my early 07 for several months now with no issues at all. Luck of the draw, I'd say. It's possible that it could be related to the build date of the OPs car.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Slimer777
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
The temp cutoff shuts the driver OFF. That means there is no current draw from the headlight which = an error on the dash.

It's a feature of the driver and NOT by LUX AE. Most led drivers have temp cutoff.

I really don't think the angel eyes have anything to do with your FRM module and ballasts neededing to be replaced.

Your lack of inntiaive to fix your headlight for over a year means your ballast was trying to spark a dead bulb, repeatedly. You kinda set yourself up for that.....
That's why I am not going to deal with anymore LED AE anymore. Nonetheless, the code is thrown because of the LED AE's feature to cut off power. I don't see an ordinary H8 bulb throwing codes. It's a personal preference, if you can accept the codes then by all means use LED AEs.

And mine was a V1 which does not have that shut off feature! The dealer that I bought from did not even send me an email for the recall! Yes, the famous recall that I later found out on this forum.

And no, the bulbs were all fine. I am still using them after my garage replaced the FRM and the ballasts. The problem started with the H8 then the FRM which created a problem for the low beam and eventually the ballasts. I didn't tell you the H8 plugs have melted wires, did I?

Yes, I should have unplugged the LUX once the problem happened but I really didn't think it could have such temperature problems. By the time I am sure, it was too late.

I am just trying to tell everyone not to overlook these seems-to-be minor problems, they can grow on you and cost you dearly.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Quote:

You asked for it. Coding out errors doesn't cause the problem. LUX makes fantastic products. He wouldn't have sold so many if they ate carputers for breakfast. Clearly, this was operator error. If you keep on trying to start a motor with no oil or gasoline in it you're eventually going to wreck something, which is what you did. Live and learn, and always replace burnt out bulbs (especially xenons), just from a safety standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Slimer777
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post

You asked for it. Coding out errors doesn't cause the problem. LUX makes fantastic products. He wouldn't have sold so many if they ate carputers for breakfast. Clearly, this was operator error. If you keep on trying to start a motor with no oil or gasoline in it you're eventually going to wreck something, which is what you did. Live and learn, and always replace burnt out bulbs (especially xenons), just from a safety standpoint.
If you have read it correctly, as stated, I am still using the original lowbeam bulbs right now and they are still working perfectly.

And how do you explain the melted H8 bulb wire?

Even the manufactured said that is an overdrawn of current without auto cutoff in the V1.

Learn to read and think before opening your big mouth!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
If you have read it correctly, as stated, I am still using the original lowbeam bulbs right now and they are still working perfectly.

And how do you explain the melted H8 bulb wire?

Even the manufactured said that is an overdrawn of current without auto cutoff in the V1.

Learn to read and think before opening your big mouth!
Ah, I must have been writing when you posted the reply. And please, let's not get too rowdy.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #17
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw328xi2008 View Post

i've been getting the same exact error with my luxh8v3. usually every day, sometimes every other day. i thought it was another light at first. is it the lux?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
That's why I am not going to deal with anymore LED AE anymore. Nonetheless, the code is thrown because of the LED AE's feature to cut off power. I don't see an ordinary H8 bulb throwing codes. It's a personal preference, if you can accept the codes then by all means use LED AEs.

And mine was a V1 which does not have that shut off feature! The dealer that I bought from did not even send me an email for the recall! Yes, the famous recall that I later found out on this forum.

And no, the bulbs were all fine. I am still using them after my garage replaced the FRM and the ballasts. The problem started with the H8 then the FRM which created a problem for the low beam and eventually the ballasts. I didn't tell you the H8 plugs have melted wires, did I?

Yes, I should have unplugged the LUX once the problem happened but I really didn't think it could have such temperature problems. By the time I am sure, it was too late.

I am just trying to tell everyone not to overlook these seems-to-be minor problems, they can grow on you and cost you dearly.
It's the same driver. All luxdrive buck pucks have temp cut off around 140c I think.

The drivers overheat very quickly when they are shorted....ask me how I know. Maybe the wires on the led are touching the heat sink and shorting the units.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
divang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Jet Black, All Stock

Lux v3

I have the error ever since I install it. I'm just hoping the error would go away.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
Sakaike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E93 328i

Same thing here

I just installed my brand new H8 V3s and have the exact same error. Can't be the temperature since I just installed them and the garage temp was ambient. I sent an email, but will also drive with these in the meantime to see what happens.

If others see something similar, please post your resolution so that I know what to do. Thanks.
      12-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #21
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Ok I think I know what's going on. Since all of you guys have e92/3s, the angel eyes dim when the headlights come on. Is this when you are getting errors? After turning the headlamps on?

If so, the current draw will change. Even though the driver outputs a constant 1A, the input current will change with the input voltage.

So using the power equations:

P = I x V
P = V^2/R

P = 1000mA x 7.7v = 7,700 mW
35W-7.7W = 27.3W

So there is a 27.3W difference in consumption.

R = 7.7V^2/27.3W = 2.172ohms

So you need a need a 2ohm 5W resistor. You may be able to use a smaller W rating but heat maybe an issue.

Now this is all based on my e90, which does NOT dim when the headlights are turned on. You guys should measure the voltage input from the headlights with and without the headlights on. Then plug them into the equations above.

Also, my previous post was wrong about the drivers consuming almost 35W. Idk what I was thinking. They only consume 7.7W assuming they are run off 7.7V
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #22
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Nonetheless, the code is thrown because of the LED AE's feature to cut off power. I don't see an ordinary H8 bulb throwing codes.
What is that supposed to mean? When an ordinary H8 burns out it does throw codes.

While I don't know whether a burned-out H8 looks the same as self-disabled LUX to the car computer, I'd make a guess that they actually look the same - the computer simply sees that the bulb is gone.
Appreciate 0