Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winters for 335d in MidAtlantic?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
needcaffeine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d sedan sport,prem,cold

Winters for 335d in MidAtlantic?

I've been reviewing winter tires all morning, as my car is now parked at the top of my street. (Driving out of the city this afternoon was challenging on summer tires)

I'm going with a tire & wheel package. But I am undecided on what tire. (size will be 225/45-17) I'm going non-rft.

I live around Philadelphia, in a very hilly section. My neighborhood does good with plowing, but the city does not. I drive into the city often.

Comments on: Michelin X-Ice Xi2, Continental ExtremeWinterContact, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3, Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

I used the Primacy's on the the last car, MINI Clubman JCW. They were decent. On the 07 Audi Avant S4 I used Dunlop WS 3D; which were great, but quattro helps in that case as well.

I'm 50/50 city/highway driver. Will need to be comfortable at 80+, but also good on winding roads (35-50) (most local roads around Philadelphia).

Last edited by needcaffeine; 10-29-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
coolchu001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335d

I went with a set of used LM25 RFT first year; they were sufficient in the snow, but I did manage to get stuck in taller snow. Last year I replaced the rear with a new pair of General Altimax Arctic. These handled quite well and offered plenty of grip. However I don't drive 80+ in winter so I can't say how these handle at those speeds. It's great on the free way.

Unfortunately, I cracked a rim last winter so I was forced to get a new set of rims. I decided to get all new tires as well. Went with the Blizzak WS-70. Just mounted them yesterday. No snow here in Cleveland yet, but will soon find out how these will perform.

Can't comment on the tires you've listed but TR has a great survey chart for comparison.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...lar=Base+Model
      10-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
rvladescu
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440 GC

I use the xice2 and I am happy with them
Appreciate 0