BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

Late November ED. Winter tires?

After more than a year of wait I am finally picking up my AW 1M in Munich on Nov 28. Can't wait to get there and to spend a week of relaxation driving around in what has been my dream car for quite a long time.

Now from a logistics standpoint I am debating what to do with regards to winter tires. I am aware of edwintertires' tire rental service and would definitely go that route if it wasn't for the fact that it limits the places where I can drop off the car. My plan is to pick up in Munich, drive to Northern Italy, Monaco and finish in Paris. If I rent the tires would have to drive back from Monaco to Munich...

Looking for advice and perspective in terms of typical weather conditions in late November in my planned route and whether I would be taking a huge risk by driving with performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
steve79
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M; Fiat Abarth 500

Last year, there was a really snow-chaos here in Europe, the first week of December!
In Germany, you must have winter tires, if there are winter conditions on the streets, that's the law!
Northern Italy the same thing!
Most of the mountain passes, are also opened in the winter! Stelvio is closed for sure, even now!!!
But, to be honest, it's not really the real fun to drive all these routes in Winter conditions in the 1M, it's my opinion! My 1M stays in the garage for the winter!
But, i hope you'll have a great time here in Europe! If you will come to Luxembourg, give me sign!

Have a look at this site, you can see, which mountain passes are open or closed:
http://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenpaesse.html
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Normally we don't get "real snow" until mid Jan. And since you will be on the "other side" of the Alps... I think you might be Ok. But IF it snows... you will be screwed. Because summer tires will not get you up the slightest incline. IF your just gonna drive the main highways (to Italy from Munchen) then you will be ok. IF your gonna drive Stelvio Pass or some other pass... then you will need snows.

You might not even be able to rent snows this late. The Zugspitz already has a meter of snow on the top of the mountain. Gross Glockner probably also has some snow right now at the top.

http://www.zugspitze.de/en/aktuell/wetter/
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Read your ED documents... After a certain date... (I believe right about now in october).you are REQUIRED to rent winter tires. You'll have to adjust your plans.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
A1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have ED in November (beginning), and I rented a set. I consider it as an insurance. Don't want to have any problems there, want to enjoy my vacation.
Appreciate 0