E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Front turbo letting out alot more carbon black then passenger side?

10-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Front turbo letting out alot more carbon black then passenger side?

Ive been noticing this for months but never really bothered me alot, but i was curious to see how everyone elses car is.

I have straight pipe in place of my secondary cats and resonator.
I have no exhaust flap in the back its deleted.

My driver side exhaust lets off alot more exhaust residue then the passenger side. Any idea why this might be?
Both exhausts are completely seperated and divorced. No x pipe or H pipe.(since i removed the resonator)

I like to keep my tips clean and after a short drive, the driver side is 2x dirtier then the passenger side. Car is running well never had a problem with it, running strong and boosts well. Oil level is spot on for a year now and never see white smoke.

Was checking on the black residue or to see if i would get white smoke or anything out the back. I can confirm my exhaust is not letting out any type of abnormal smoke of any kind of white or blue.

But when i do get on boost it is letting out black smoke cloud out the back. And the driver side is still producing 2x more black smoke/residue then the passenger side.

When i took off my DP's, that driver side DP was black while the passenger side was clean. And the sensor was black aswell as you can see in the pics.

My oil level has been rock solid aswell.

Here are some pics off my blackberry:

Passenger side exhaust

DRIVER SIDE EXHAUST TIP WHICH IS IN QUESTION

WHIPING OFF A LIL BIT OF THE RESIDUE

The lower one, which is the blacker sensor of the two, is the driver side exhaust in question

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
It seems to be an issue with increasing frequency. I am in the same boat and so are a few other members as well.
      10-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hmmm I never ran into that issue before and I always clean my exhaust tips and there is always evenly buildup soot...Weird that its only on one side...Running rich one side would cause tips to get black like that..Should log the A/F on each bank to see if indeed its running richer on one side
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
It seems to be an issue with increasing frequency. I am in the same boat and so are a few other members as well.
Interesting, could it be that we are running complete divorced piping without a H or X pipe and it is just showing itself more? as the front turbo runs richer side? As most other guys run a X-pipe or H pipe setup exhaust where it blends to both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Hmmm I never ran into that issue before and I always clean my exhaust tips and there is always evenly buildup soot...Weird that its only on one side...Running rich one side would cause tips to get black like that..Should log the A/F on each bank to see if indeed its running richer on one side

Yea i am gonna attempt to do it today or tomrrow. I am guessing that because i have complete divorced piping its showing this more then normal. When i had my resonator in place, which has a x pipe within it, the build up was more even since it mixed. Def very wierd. Just thought id bring it up since when i looked at the two DP when i took them off, one was really black, the other alotttttt cleaner.

How were your DP's when you removed them?

And just to elaborate again, Car boosts perfect, no oil loss or burning. Runs great. No codes via BT cable or JB4.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
Interesting, could it be that we are running complete divorced piping without a H or X pipe and it is just showing itself more? as the front turbo runs richer side? As most other guys run a X-pipe or H pipe setup exhaust where it blends to both sides.

Yea i am gonna attempt to do it today or tomrrow. I am guessing that because i have complete divorced piping its showing this more then normal. When i had my resonator in place, which has a x pipe within it, the build up was more even since it mixed. Def very wierd. Just thought id bring it up since when i looked at the two DP when i took them off, one was really black, the other alotttttt cleaner.

How were your DP's when you removed them?

And just to elaborate again, Car boosts perfect, no oil loss or burning. Runs great. No codes via BT cable or JB4.
WHen I took my stockers off it was still evenly coated with carbon and so was the O2 sensors..Maybe you are onto something with being fully divorced piping..Ask around with people with similar exhaust setups and you may find your answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

Mine are like that too, however with a true dual cat back exhaust this problem goes away.
Im not sure but doeant the stock system have an x pipe? I think it had smrhing to do with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Yes that is true, you won't see the difference in tip soot with a stock exhaust or one with an H or X crossover. But the question is why does the front bank look blacker from DP to tip?

Is it possible the front O2 sensor calibration is different than the rear (i.e. one is wrong from the factory calibration)? Different part numbers, no? If others are seeing the same phenomenon, might be something to check. Pop a known good Bosch LSU into your post-cat port and log with an Innovate or other wideband logger, then switch it to the other bank and repeat.
      10-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
The real question is: how many of the cars with this issue have an oil consumption problem (documented or not documented)?...

My car started burning oil (1/4 of a quart every 200 miles) during long idle which coincides with smoke coming out of the driver side exhaust, which inevitably puts more soot on the driver side exhaust tip.