BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Suspension

What are the objective(not subjective) opinions of suspension mods? I\'m certain I\'m one of many that is happy with the suspension other than the nose high appearance. How do springs pair with the stock shocks? I\'m sure the ex m3 guys should have a lot of info, is it just a bad match? If the primary goal is the look of a proper stance but we\'re satisfied with the damping and overall handling of the stock setup what\'s the recommendation? I will track the car but for fun, not lap times so I don\'t want to degrade the handling characteristics but am not looking for huge gains?
      10-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

I'd be interested in the answer to this question too. For what it's worth, I think the ride is very good in standard form: ie damping excellent, providing a very compliant ride - firm but not at all harsh. Despite how bad many of the British roads are, I find the standard set-up to be rather good.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Based on the way this puppy handles, I'm not touching my suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

The general idea behind a modified suspension in any car is sacrificing ride quality for more neutral handling and or a better visual appearance.

I have not and will not be touching my 1M suspension. I have however, modified suspensions on many cars.

Here are some cliff notes for you, upgraded springs, struts or coilovers tend to give you the following:

* Lowering, depending on suspension type, tends to give the car a lower center of gravity. It also improves the visual aspects of the car by removing the gap between the tires and the wheel well.

* Less body roll and less transfer of road contact from the inside corner tire to the outside. This coupled with upgraded sway bars tend to allow the car to retain better contact across all four tires when cornering.

* Stiffer struts / dampening allow for faster recovery and returning to neutral after contact with an uneven road surface (a bump) or when going from a fast left hand turn into a fast right hand turn. Also, springs that are too stiff tend to wear softer dampeners faster. This is typically why people upgrade both springs and struts at the same time

* Coil over suspensions offer some additional advantages. The main being customizable height adjustment and dampening adjustment. This also allows the car to be corner balanced which is an adjustment in the ride height between front, rear and side to side to achieve a more neutral weight distribution when there is a driver in the driver's seat of the car.

* Modified suspensions also tend to allow for greater degrees of caster and camber. Negative camber is used with sway bars and springs to maintain tire contact when cornering. Caster also allows for quicker turn in allowing the driver to brake and turn the wheel slightly later than on a car with more neutral caster.

Of course, the cost of all of the above is a stiffer, harsher ride, increased inside tire wear and potential decrease in straight line stability.
Appreciate 0