E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > iDrive and television function - is yours buggy?

05-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
iDrive and television function - is yours buggy?

Just had my iDrive upgraded to the latest version.

Previously, the TV function would only work if the car was stationary with the handbrake on, but now, the TV function works when the footbrake is depressed and the car is stationary... eg at traffic lights

I didn't realise it was supposed to work just with the footbrake depressed, until I got it upgraded. Not sure if that is also affecting others but worth a complaint to get your iDrive upgraded free under warranty to the latest version.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
Just had my iDrive upgraded to the latest version.

Previously, the TV function would only work if the car was stationary with the handbrake on, but now, the TV function works when the footbrake is depressed and the car is stationary... eg at traffic lights

I didn't realise it was supposed to work just with the footbrake depressed, until I got it upgraded. Not sure if that is also affecting others but worth a complaint to get your iDrive upgraded free under warranty to the latest version.
I have to use my handbrake for the TV to operate with my iDrive version. A real nuisance. The footbrake makes much more sense.

Why did you upgrade your iDrive Daniel? Just for the TV or other reasons too?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
actually on fiddling with it more, sometimes i can watch TV with just the footbrake and other times i need to have the handbrake on, or the transmission in park. so i am not sure how it is supposed to work!

anyway, upgraded for the faster interface. also the Nav seems to have nicer richer colours!

Plus the free car wash!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

what TV?!?!?!?! u guys can watch tv?
      05-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
actually on fiddling with it more, sometimes i can watch TV with just the footbrake and other times i need to have the handbrake on, or the transmission in park. so i am not sure how it is supposed to work!

anyway, upgraded for the faster interface. also the Nav seems to have nicer richer colours!

Plus the free car wash!
When you asked for the upgrade Daniel, was your dealer happy to do it or did you have to beg them?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
what TV?!?!?!?! u guys can watch tv?
Let me echo that......You guys have TV as in television?? How do we get this to work?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Dr Dirt, it comes with the option "professional navigation" here in Australia - all 56 foxtel channels (and no monthly fee) under "Entertainment" in the iDrive menu.

Captain Oz - A few things - I didn't buy my 335 from the dealer who upgraded the iDrive, so I was unsure how they would react. Anyway, when I got to handing the car in (after booking it in and explaining I needed up iDrive software warranty upgrade), they actually asked what was wrong with the iDrive, so I just said 1. slow to boot intermittently, 2. knob doesn't always work in the specified direction 3. assist window arrow pop-up with navigation doesn't work (to reproduce this, program a Nav destination from the main window, switch the main window to another function eg. FM radio, go across to assist window, switch assist window to "arrow view" and you should notice that the arrows won't appear as you approach a corner you are supposed to turn into. On the new iDrive you will see these arrows work)

I will have to try to work out how to make my TV work consistently when stationary with the footbrake. I am not sure if in Australia it is only supposed to work when stationary with the handbrake or footbrake.

PS just joking about the 56 fox channels!

I wasn't expecting them to wash the car, because they too are now offering a paid Car wash service, starting at $33 or so for a basic wash!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Dr Dirt, it comes with the option "professional navigation" here in Australia - all 56 foxtel channels (and no monthly fee) under "Entertainment" in the iDrive menu.

Captain Oz - A few things - I didn't buy my 335 from the dealer who upgraded the iDrive, so I was unsure how they would react. Anyway, when I got to handing the car in (after booking it in and explaining I needed up iDrive software warranty upgrade), they actually asked what was wrong with the iDrive, so I just said 1. slow to boot intermittently, 2. knob doesn't always work in the specified direction 3. assist window arrow pop-up with navigation doesn't work (to reproduce this, program a Nav destination from the main window, switch the main window to another function eg. FM radio, go across to assist window, switch assist window to "arrow view" and you should notice that the arrows won't appear as you approach a corner you are supposed to turn into. On the new iDrive you will see these arrows work)

I will have to try to work out how to make my TV work consistently when stationary with the footbrake. I am not sure if in Australia it is only supposed to work when stationary with the handbrake or footbrake.

PS just joking about the 56 fox channels!

I wasn't expecting them to wash the car, because they too are now offering a paid Car wash service, starting at $33 or so for a basic wash!
I would expect my iDrive to be an original version as my 335i was a 2nd shipment vehicle. It appears to work ok but most of the time it is often very slow to react. I will try the “arrow view” test and report back later today Daniel.

Is upgrading the iDrive a 2 minute job (i.e. plug in a cable and download new software) or do they have to actually replace hardware components?

My X5 has a TV that works when the vehicle is doing less than 3kph, regardless of the brakes. This is much better as I can watch TV in stop-and-go traffic. Having to continually pull the handbrake on in the 335i is crazy.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
not sure about the e90's... but in mine, if the tv function is turned on, and you are in traffic stopped, the tv will work, not just audio, but visual too... is this what you meant?

cos i thought that's how it was meant to be?

05-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

In my E39, the TV works like Astra has said. The kids hate it as they can only hear audio when the car is moving. Don't need the hand brake on.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
a TV that works when the vehicle is doing less than 3kph, regardless of the brakes. This is much better as I can watch TV in stop-and-go traffic. Having to continually pull the handbrake on in the 335i is crazy.
agree this is much better and more logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
In my E39, the TV works like Astra has said. The kids hate it as they can only hear audio when the car is moving. Don't need the hand brake on.
and this is why i had the TV in Motion installed. but nothing beats the kids watching and pointing out other BMWs on the road so this "feature" is rarely used.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Where'd you score the TV in motion? Was it locally or from overseas? Was it very costly and did you do the install yourself?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
^^ there was a guy on e46fanatics selling them for a couple of hundred i think? from the USA...

i heard though, that there was a simpler way of doing it... some kind of wiring that you can get from places like ebay, and it does the same thing, and is a hell of alot cheaper

this is the gizmo i think...

05-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #14
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I hadn't come across "TV in Motion" before as a BMW option as I thought that defeated the legality of in-car entertainment systems that are OEM.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 12:47 AM   #15
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

My X5's TV works without any brakes on. You just need to be travelling less than about 3kph. Otherwise you only get sound and a blue screen as astra mentioned.

The 335i needs the handbrake on as well as being stationary.

For you information:
  • X5: Analogue TV
  • 335i: Analogue and Digital TV

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 12:53 AM   #16
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Captain Oz - the iDrive upgrade takes between half a day and 2 days depending on which dealer you request to do the upgrade. Don't know why one particular dealer was quoting 2 days for an upgrade. Apparently the upgrade process can halt mid-upgrade necessitating a complete start from the beginning. Maybe that's why they quoted 2 days in case it was 90% done and then froze.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 01:00 AM   #17
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Captain Oz - the iDrive upgrade takes between half a day and 2 days depending on which dealer you request to do the upgrade. Don't know why one particular dealer was quoting 2 days for an upgrade. Apparently the upgrade process can halt mid-upgrade necessitating a complete start from the beginning. Maybe that's why they quoted 2 days in case it was 90% done and then froze.
That's a long time.

I might hold off for now - unless something really goes wrong.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #18
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Where'd you score the TV in motion? Was it locally or from overseas? Was it very costly and did you do the install yourself?
Ordered the product through European Auto Source. It's smaller than the one pictured in astra's post. Yes, did the install myself. The only hard part was removing the boot lining!

Quote:
... as I thought that defeated the legality of in-car entertainment systems that are OEM.
It's not OEM and not sure about the legality of installing such a device. However, I put it not for me but for the "little" passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
  • X5: Analogue TV
  • 335i: Analogue and Digital TV
If I'm not mistaken, late model E46s also had both Analogue and Digital TV (as mine, a 2005.8 build).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #19
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

My feb built 335i sedan's tv only works when gear selection is in neutral & brake pedal pressed or gear is in P.

Digital reception isnt great, cuts in and out a lot, analogue is better but pic quality suffers.

How do i find out which version of iDrive i have?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #20
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hadn't come across "TV in Motion" before as a BMW option as I thought that defeated the legality of in-car entertainment systems that are OEM.
it does, that's why you can't get it through bmw... they claim that it can't be done
      05-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #21
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyways View Post
Digital reception isnt great, cuts in and out a lot, analogue is better but pic quality suffers.
agree. even if you get the picture, the sound gets muted if reception is not good enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #22
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
If I'm not mistaken, late model E46s also had both Analogue and Digital TV (as mine, a 2005.8 build).
when did the digital come in do you know?