E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Driving in the States

10-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

Driving in the States

Hi All,

Heading to Orlando and Miami on Monday for 3 weeks and although it is my tenth time in the states I will be getting behind the wheel for the first time, just wondering if anyone has any tips or great insights into the driving experience over there.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Rent something BIG & JUICY.... will give a good insight into how much we get ripped off over here in the UK on fuel.
      10-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Get a Tom Tom or similar with a USA map, makes life so much easier and stops and rows with the Mrs.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers, I have one of these lined up with a Tom Tom so sorted on that front

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Driving in the states is dead easy, it makes you realise how stressful driving over here is.

Florida allows right turn on red at junctions, takes a while to get used to doing that.

If you have time, drive down to Key West, I did that last year from Miami and is was absolutely fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
Driving in the states is dead easy, it makes you realise how stressful driving over here is.

Florida allows right turn on red at junctions, takes a while to get used to doing that.

If you have time, drive down to Key West, I did that last year from Miami and is was absolutely fantastic.
Agree with everything you say, but another thing to note is priority on crossroads without traffic lights or give-way signs. Everyone moves off in turn determined by order of arrival, regardless of whether you're going straight ahead or turning. There's a slight element of uncertainty to begin with, but that rapidly disappears when you discover how well the system works.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
That threw me when I drove out there for the first time, soon got used to it and wish they would enforce a similar rule here for turning left.

What car you hiring? We had two...Chrysler Dodge V6 Caravan and a 2.0L PT Cruiser both worked out about £80 for the week and as it bene mentioned fuel is dirty cheap. As I recall approx £10 fillied the PT about two thirds
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Agree with everything you say, but another thing to note is priority on crossroads without traffic lights or give-way signs. Everyone moves off in turn determined by order of arrival, regardless of whether you're going straight ahead or turning. There's a slight element of uncertainty to begin with, but that rapidly disappears when you discover how well the system works.
Good point. Also remember that STOP signs really mean stop, even if there's nothing coming the other way. I've been fined in 4 different states for 'failing to come to a complete stop' !!!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Be wary of interstate junctions which exit from the middle rather than edge of the road iyswim....otherwise, sit back, relax, and go with the flow.....oh and personally I always prefer an MPV or SUV as it means you can see ahead better...but can't blame you for going for the Camaro

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the advice so far, exiting the interstate from the middle lane that would have got me. Driving on the interstate is by far worrying me the most, I think I will be fine around local roads after a few hours or so but driving on the freeway is filling me with dread.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Don't sweat it mate, Florida interstates are very relaxed. Places like NY and LA are a pain but no where in Florida is like that.

One other thing - read up on the tolls. There are lots of them. You can get a tag thing for your hire car, I think from memory its called a Sun Pass or something. Basically it adds up your tolls automatically and bills your card.
Its WELL worth doing - you can drive through the toll plazas without stopping (often there are huge queues for the cash lanes) and makes your trip a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

just got back last Sunday from 2 weeks in Orlando

hired a 4litre V6 Mustang Vert....................

All great apart from when we got the car at 8pm on Sat night it was DARK............ PISSING it down BIG time............. on wrong side of road and with the shittest directions to our apartments!!!

SCARY.com..............
      10-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

i paid $40 for the EASY PASS thing for the toll roads

you can drive straight thru.................. but as most tolls are only $1.25 and there were NO queue's and not many toll roads it probably made no difference
      10-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

$40 FILLED the Mustang and it did about 22Mpg

only filled it once..............
      10-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

From the perspective of an American I give you the following advise which will ensure you will not only fit in seamlessly with us locals but that your experience is nothing but American.

1) Brush up on your American profanity. Some examples come to mind; dickhead, f&ck you, c@cksucker etc

2) Not to be out done by verbal forms of communication as described above, some sign language practice may also come in handy esp at high rates of speeds when your windows are up in which case the other driver is unable to hear you. This situation will call for the one finger salute ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ as the weapon of choice.

3) And for god's sake, make sure you drive the speed limit in the far left lane! This is ultra critical and will allow you to put your newfound verbal and signing vocabulary to the test.

4) Most importantly tailgating is critical to driving here in the states. Failing to tailgate otherwise demonstrates that you are not traveling at a fast enough rate of speed that would otherwise satisfy everyone else's perceptions. Not following this cardinal rule will result in other drivers expressing their discontent by blowing their horns at you, signing and yelling profanities.

By following these simple rules your US driving experience will be much more authentic and pleasurable. Welcome to the states!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
From the perspective of an American I give you the following advise which will ensure you will not only fit in seamlessly with us locals but that your experience is nothing but American.

1) Brush up on your American profanity. Some examples come to mind; dickhead, f&ck you, c@cksucker etc

2) Not to be out done by verbal forms of communication as described above, some sign language practice may also come in handy esp at high rates of speeds when your windows are up in which case the other driver is unable to hear you. This situation will call for the one finger salute ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ as the weapon of choice.

3) And for god's sake, make sure you drive the speed limit in the far left lane! This is ultra critical and will allow you to put your newfound verbal and signing vocabulary to the test.

4) Most importantly tailgating is critical to driving here in the states. Failing to tailgate otherwise demonstrates that you are not traveling at a fast enough rate of speed that would otherwise satisfy everyone else's perceptions. Not following this cardinal rule will result in other drivers expressing their discontent by blowing their horns at you, signing and yelling profanities.

By following these simple rules your US driving experience will be much more authentic and pleasurable. Welcome to the states!

Hahahah, love it....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #17
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris100 View Post
Hi All,
Heading to Orlando and Miami, just wondering if anyone has any tips or great insights into the driving experience over there.
Much has been said above and it's all good.
One or two other things:
Gas stations - I found they wouldn't recognise my UK Mastercard at the pump, so just go in to see the cashier and pre-pay before filling. The pump cuts off at the amount you've paid. If you overpay go back in and get a refund put on the card.
Around Miami the Interstate (I95 I think) is just mental! It is 6+ lanes at times and unlike Orlando it is NOT relaxed, more like a video game!! Just keep your wits about you down there.........
When you park on the highway, do so with the back facing the road so the 'plate is visible. I got told off once by the cops for parking rear first.
If you don't get a Sun Pass for the tolls, keep a stock of quarters because there are often unmanned toll exits and you need the correct money.
Watch out for the sales pitch when you pick up the car - they WILL try to sell you something, like a toll pass (how much are you really going to use toll roads?) or breakdown cover. A firm "no thanks" works fine.

Oh, and take a trip down to Tampa to Busch Gardens, or to visit the science museum, or maybe explore down to Fort de Soto beach south of Tampa - then get the I275 Sky Bridge which is amazing.........

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #18
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
buy a gun and wave it often.

pay attention. drive fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #19
jimmylimmy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 'charged VXR8

when driving up to a toll booth, dont check what gearbox you have when you see a sign for "Autos-$4.00"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #20
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the advice guys, a lot to take in but I will do my best to remember it all.
Appreciate 0