ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Any in Victoria?

It's always good to know somebody local in case you want to bounce an idea, gather info, or discuss indy shops, etc.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Hi...I'm in Brentwood Bay. Just bought an 04 a few weeks back.

So far I've been to Island Motorsport for rear brakes and a tire issue...they have been great. I plan to do most of my own maintenenace and any advice is always helpful. Yesterday I pulled the plastic between the seats and fixed the roof down squeek...that took about 15 minutes assisted by photos from another forum.

What part of town are you in?

...Ian
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep

I've got an Imola/Imola Z4M coupe and it's a blast. I had planned to go to Island Motorsports but I was tipped to go to R&W Motorsports (Joe and Sam) and have been there for some custom wiring work, installation of my trans mount upgrade, and a major service (my insistence).

The service was premature according to the schedule but I wanted it done as the car was new to me and I wanted a clean slate. I could not be more delighted with the thoroughly professional attention to detail (they saw a couple of loose connections and a missing clamp that everyone else had missed), very reasonable rates, prompt appointments with fast work, and overall excellence.

Wave if you see me... I'll do the same.

Ian (ain't that weird....)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Stromtech
Private
Rep

Cool...thanks, I did not know of R&W...closer to home for me so I'll check them out.
I'm in a Sterling Grey 04 Z 3.0 six speed...premium and sport packages

Recently added som scratches to my rocker panel so I'll be looking for someone to do some paintwork in the spring...may as well wait till I do some more damage...lol . Gotta get used to being low again around curbs

Speaking of waves, I have been waving at all sports cars much the same as I do on my motorcycle but I don't see much reciprocity around here.

...Ian
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep

Hmmm... can't PM you yet...
I'm on an R1200S. You?
Multiple BMW ownership was purely accidental but it's working out.
Cheers.
Ian
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Stromtech
Private
Rep

Almost at the 5 post minimum (not sure what that's about)..I thnk this is 4

Vstrom DL650A...but it's up for sale, not riding much anymore and too many toys
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
bol
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Funny - Z's and motorcycles.

I have a Triumph Street Triple R in addition to my M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
rkcampbell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

I'm in Fernwood and I started a thread on the General forum about a Victoria meet. I work for Parks Canada at Fort Rodd Hill, and I can arrange for part of the lot to be reserved for us (obviously sometime in the Spring at the earliest).

We were suggesting inviting all Z models and seeing where it goes. Our Classic Caddy show started out the same way and now it's in the park itself and the largest Caddy meet in Canada (over 100 cars).

Cheers,

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep

VICTORIA - White Z4M Coupe - Cook Street - Noon, December 16 2011

White Z4M Coupe - Cook Street - Noon December 16 2011

Anybody here?

Very fine looking Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
bol
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EenyBear View Post
White Z4M Coupe - Cook Street - Noon December 16 2011

Anybody here?

Very fine looking Coupe.
That would be me in all likelihood. There is another in the area as well that I see from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Stromtech
Private
Rep

Well Ian thanks for the tip...I was hearing a drive train noise that I had tracked down to a SIB indicating it was likely due to the propeller shaft spline flange at the differential. I took the car to Island Motorsport a couple of weeks back and showed them the SIB. They put the car on a hoist, told me the noise was in the differential and explained how they would remove and rebuild it...contrary to BMW's statement on the SIB not to replace the differential. So I left and drove to R&W to discuss the issue with them. Today, I spent the morning at R&W Motorsport and the service was great.

Long story cut short, Sam dropped the exhaust and heat shields, removed the propeller shaft. He found slop in the area where the two propeller shaft sections are mated so he added an o-ring and some silicone to the splines and tightened it all up. He also applied locktite to the splines in the differential flange. The result is a nice quiet drive train again. The differential is fine as suspected.
While Sam had the Z on the hoist he removed the CDV valve for me and applied lithium grease to the shifter rod ball above the drive shaft (the old grease was pretty much dried out).
Then Sam checked the suspension and steering components as well as topped up the radiator and replaced the plastic caps on the top pf the shock towers that apparently has been chewed off by a Rat (should I call the PO and tell him he has a rat problem...lol).
All this wa done for a 2 1/2 hour labour charge so I am extremely pleased.
I cannot say enough good things about R&W Motorsport.

BTW...for anyone that does not know, Sam and Joe formerly managed Island Motorsport and I venture to say a great deal of the IMS reputation is based on the service Sam and Joe provided prior to leaving and starting their own business at R&W Motorsport. I highly recommend R&W services and I will be using them as my primary source for my Z4 service requirements from here on.

Thank you Ian for recommending them....Ian
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
Stromtech
Private
Rep

Silver Z yesterday around 4 PM on MacDonald Park Rd at Marina Dr. Waved to me as we passed. Anyone here?
Appreciate 0