Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Non-matching front and rear tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
kerwin22
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Jet Black with Saddle

Non-matching front and rear tires

Hello,

I have a 335i and I recently replaced my stock rear Bridgestone Potenza runflats with Continental ExtremeContact DWS and have noticed some serious tramlining on the highways. Steering feels squirrelly as opposed to the tight precise feel that I was accostumed to, especially at highway speeds. Is this because I'm running my original runflats in the front with the new Conti non-runflats in the rear? I asked several tire places if this would be ok, and they said it was fine. Now I'm wondering if I should replace my fronts with matching Contis or if I should replace my rears with new Potenza runflats. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
blu335tt
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80

Finally, some feels the same wiggly feeling

I too have replaced the stock bridgestones on the rear with the Michelin PS2 and Ive experienced great traction straight line however at the expense of this wiggly feeling at highway speeds. It just doesnt have that sure footed feeling anymore. The turn in or any slight change in steering input is felt first in the front without hesitation then this second swaying motion with the rear. Im not sure what to do next? If to change to matching front or replace thr rears again? I dont know about your tires but with the Michelins, they have slighty taller side walls compared to the stock bridgestones therefore there is literally no gap whatsoever in the rear now. So now it has this squatting look in the rear. I dont how to proceed, if to change the fronts to the Michelins as well or change rears again back to Bridgestone. What are you going to do?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

RFTs and non-RFTs have completely different handling characteristics due to a much stiffer sidewall in the RFTs, especially compared to a PS2 which is notoriously soft. To the OP who put on the Conti DWS--that is an all season tire that is also very soft. It doesn't match well at all with the OEM RFTs.

Personally, I like the steering feel of the RFTs better than non-RFTs. Traction though is better with non-RFTs. Tread life and ride is also better with non-RFTs.

Its a trade-off. Pick which is more important to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
blu335tt
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80

Ive keep the run flats, the Michelin pilot sport ZP!! It seems its a great tire but performs better in a larger size because there is too much wiggle with the stock 18's.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin22 View Post
Hello,

I have a 335i and I recently replaced my stock rear Bridgestone Potenza runflats with Continental ExtremeContact DWS and have noticed some serious tramlining on the highways. Steering feels squirrelly as opposed to the tight precise feel that I was accostumed to, especially at highway speeds. Is this because I'm running my original runflats in the front with the new Conti non-runflats in the rear? I asked several tire places if this would be ok, and they said it was fine. Now I'm wondering if I should replace my fronts with matching Contis or if I should replace my rears with new Potenza runflats. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.
The "several tire places" were all wrong. You shouldn't mix-n-match different tread designs and you certainly should not mix RFT and non-RFT.

Here you mixed performance categories, tread design and RFT/non-RFT - a certain receipe for disaster.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
The "several tire places" were all wrong. You shouldn't mix-n-match different tread designs and you certainly should not mix RFT and non-RFT.

Here you mixed performance categories, tread design and RFT/non-RFT - a certain receipe for disaster.
+1

The vehicle will be much more stable once a matched set is put on.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
combining run flats with non run flats has got to be the worst combination in the universe.

you may as well wrap your rims with a garden hose.
Appreciate 0