10-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
RainCruiser
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Annual Cost to Own?

Hi,
I'm looking into the possibility of owning a used 6 series coupe. As I slowly rationalize the purchase, I'm trying to find what things cost. What gas mpg are you guys getting? I've seen dealers list the mpg as 15/23 and also 16/26. Any truth to these numbers?

I'm also looking for annual repair costs. Typical stuff like cost of oil changes, break pads, etc.

Seems like the only nasty repair is the coolant pipe thru the engine. I found the PDF for the guy who made his own expanding coolant pipe. There is something quite awesome about watching a guy with clean hands take apart an engine as if it were that easy.

I drive an Audi TT. While the power and agility are lots of fun, the endless tire roar, poor visibility, and fear that someone else isn't seeing me are getting to me. Makes me think a GT type car might be more my style.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Fred
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
Yorgi
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab

I get 14.7 mpg with mostly semi-aggressive city driving (shift at over 5K rpm on a manual transmission). I can get 26 mpg on the highway during long trips.

Since you are accustomed to the cost of maintaining a German car there should be no major surprises if you buy a 6er. Parts are expensive but the E63/E64 are fairly reliable. If you are worried about maintenance costs buy a car that has a CPO warranty.

By far the largest potential expense is the coolant pipe issue that can occur on any BMW V8 at the 75K to 100K mile range. It's a $1K fix if you DIY it using the All German Auto expanding pipe, or $2K for an indie to install. The dealer will charge at least $9K since their repair procedure involves removing the entire engine.

A few problem areas:
  • Battery/alternator - lots of electrical systems requires a battery and alternator in perfect condition or the car will generate random errors
  • You need to hook up a battery tender on weekends if you take only short (15 min) trips during the week
  • Leaking timing cover gaskets - there are 3 and one requires the engine be removed to change
  • Valve cover gasket - all BMWs will leak oil from this cover eventually - when the V8s leak you need to change 2 gaskets - lots of labour involved
  • Plastic transmission oil pan on auto tranny cars - eventually fails

Maintenance is no different than your average BMW. My M3 cost more to maintain than my 6er. I do my own oil changes for ~ $100 (9L of synthetic plus a filter). I use hi-perf aftermarket brake pads at ~ $200 for all 4 wheels and OEM rotors at $150 each. You can go with less aggressive but still quality Centric pads ($140) and Centric rotors ($80 each). If you drive hard you will go though rear tires quickly - 360HP + 4,000 lbs.

Despite it's size the 6 series seems to defy physics and handles very well at the limit. I've taken mine to the track a few times and it was a blast. Make sure you get a car with Dynamic Drive (active roll stabilization), the system works wonders.
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Appreciate 0