ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Watkins Glen - HPDE level 1

First "dry" session after the non-stop rain and thick fog, DSC was kept on since there were some slick areas.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 10-06-2011 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

The Glen is one scary track when it's drying out! There are no less than 4 different kinds of surfaces and they all have different levels of grip when wet. Oh and they all dry at different rates. Very scary stuff.

Few random comments on what i'm seeing... (Hope you don't mind, I have a lot of experience up there...)

- You need to smooth out your braking and throttle application. Way too herky-jerky with the inputs. For braking, you pop on and pop off and back on. For throttle, you get on it too abruptly.
- At 5:37 & 8:24 you do a tick to the left then turn into the Bus Stop very abruptly. Dangerous move, man.
- Shifting as you run up the Esses is dicey. It's just like lifting. If anything, short shift before Turn 2.
- At 7:54, way too harsh of a turn-in. At 7:58, transitioning left way too early.
- Setting up for the Outer Loop, no need to track out all the way to the left after the Bus Stop.
- Your turn-in points are pretty good. Sometimes early, but good. Rather they be late, if anything.
- Your use of the entire track is solid.
- You can take the Fast Left a lot faster. Brush the brakes, turn in.
- Keep both hands on the wheel!! After the Toe you talk with your hands. Stop that!

Stupid Vette not lifting after the point-by at 9:16!
      10-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
The Glen is one scary track when it's drying out! There are no less than 4 different kinds of surfaces and they all have different levels of grip when wet. Oh and they all dry at different rates. Very scary stuff.

Few random comments on what i'm seeing... (Hope you don't mind, I have a lot of experience up there...)

- You need to smooth out your braking and throttle application. Way too herky-jerky with the inputs. For braking, you pop on and pop off and back on. For throttle, you get on it too abruptly.
- At 5:37 & 8:24 you do a tick to the left then turn into the Bus Stop very abruptly. Dangerous move, man.
- Shifting as you run up the Esses is dicey. It's just like lifting. If anything, short shift before Turn 2.
- At 7:54, way too harsh of a turn-in. At 7:58, transitioning left way too early.
- Setting up for the Outer Loop, no need to track out all the way to the left after the Bus Stop.
- Your turn-in points are pretty good. Sometimes early, but good. Rather they be late, if anything.
- Your use of the entire track is solid.
- You can take the Fast Left a lot faster. Brush the brakes, turn in.
- Keep both hands on the wheel!! After the Toe you talk with your hands. Stop that!

Stupid Vette not lifting after the point-by at 9:16!

None offense taken whatsoever, this is why I post! I want feedback from the experienced guys here and I appreciate the fact you watched the whole video. This was my first time at the Glen and I thought it was incredible.

1. Totally right on the inputs, as that’s what my instructor told me to work on. One input at a time, smooth application (especially when the track’s wet). I agree on the throttle too, bad tendency to stomp when I feel like I need to “make up” from other sections.
2. Correct on the bus stop, I found that section to be the hardest. I need to look through the turn(s) instead of focusing only on that upcoming left.
3. The esses – will need to review that section again, don’t recall.
4. Outer loop tracking out – I think that was the “school line” they taught but I’ll keep that in mind.
5. I found this track to have more blind turns than the others I’ve been on. I know there’s more pavement but you’re right in that I find myself doing an early apex. On my later sessions I tried to wait an extra second.
6. Thanks… I found that these upward banked turns are tricky. As you get on throttle and track out, you have a decent amount of track but seeing that guard rail with no real space scares me lol.
7. Agreed
8. Agreed although I really wasn’t going that fast in this session, but it’s clearly a bad habit.

I have this stupid tendency to get caught up with other drivers and I subconsciously focus more on getting the point by than focusing on my own driving. I noticed my driving was smoother when they combined us with the advanced group since I was less concerned with passing others.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 10-06-2011 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Here's my 2nd vid, running with the advanced group.

10-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Here's a tip, and once you understand what I'm talking about it's going to go a very long way.

Look at how much my head moves in relation to your video. Our cameras are mounted at nearly the same spot.

The reason why your inputs are "jerky," and this includes throttle and brake applications, is because right now you're reacting as a driver. You get up to your braking zone, and you react to it. You jump on the brakes. You turn-in. You jump back on your throttle as you get to each of your "assignments."

In order to go fast, you need to be looking far enough ahead where you're no longer reacting to what's happening in front of you. You're looking at places that you will be in 5-10 seconds, not where you will be the next second. As you get up to your braking zone, even before you start braking you should already be looking at your exit to the turn. That way, it'll give you the opportunity to figure out where and how much to apply the brakes, where and when to turn-in, and where and when to get on the throttle even before you enter the turn.

Once you're looking at the right spots, and the sooner you're looking at those right spots, and the further ahead you're looking, at those same right spots, the faster you will go. Don't worry about braking, how smooth you need to be, and all that. It will come naturally as soon as you start looking further ahead.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Here's a tip, and once you understand what I'm talking about it's going to go a very long way.

Look at how much my head moves in relation to your video. Our cameras are mounted at nearly the same spot.

The reason why your inputs are "jerky," and this includes throttle and brake applications, is because right now you're reacting as a driver. You get up to your braking zone, and you react to it. You jump on the brakes. You turn-in. You jump back on your throttle as you get to each of your "assignments."

In order to go fast, you need to be looking far enough ahead where you're no longer reacting to what's happening in front of you. You're looking at places that you will be in 5-10 seconds, not where you will be the next second. As you get up to your braking zone, even before you start braking you should already be looking at your exit to the turn. That way, it'll give you the opportunity to figure out where and how much to apply the brakes, where and when to turn-in, and where and when to get on the throttle even before you enter the turn.

Once you're looking at the right spots, and the sooner you're looking at those right spots, and the further ahead you're looking, at those same right spots, the faster you will go. Don't worry about braking, how smooth you need to be, and all that. It will come naturally as soon as you start looking further ahead.
Thanks Hack! As always your input is much appreciated.

I know I should be looking ahead, something I do effectively in auto-x but the auto-x layout is much easier to learn than a new track. I think once I start going back to the same courses I’ll be able to do that. But believe it or not, I can’t remember a new track until day 2… it’s only then I can look at the map and recall what that section looks like.