E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Interstate incident in TN

10-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Licit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Interstate incident in TN

This was at night with a slight fog that came and went. Went to Daytona last week and on the trip down was going along fine in the 335xi with cruise control on headed east on I-24. There were no exits for the many miles this went on. In the right lane and an older Jetta comes along in the left lane. Semi was in my lane so I slowed to let the Jetta get past and I follow. After we pass, Jetta slows some and moves over to right lane. I continue in the left lane but as I start passing Jetta speeds up. I get over and follow again, he slows. This repeated and so I just blasted past him. I had a good distance on him but sure enough here the Jetta comes again. He continued this behavior for miles, passing and blocking then slowing and blocking me. I was pretty much shaking from the adrenaline at this point and my wife was pissed as well. I can't say the thought of just running him off the road didn't cross my mind. I maintained my composure through the incident but kept thinking what in the world can be going on in this guys head. I know he had to see my Indiana plates. Driver was a black male with a white female passenger. In case you don't know there are many gun toting racists in Indiana(I'm not one). The crap that guy was pulling is what gets people shot regardless of race but I could not believe the lengths the guy went to mess with me. I don't think he was drunk because his driving was fine. Maybe this is a fun game for Tennessee residents? I debated calling the police but didn't figure they'd get there any time soon. After the second time they pulled up on our left and stared over at me and I wouldn't look over it finally ended. They passed a semi and I stayed behind it. I'm pretty sure this semi saw some of it because after I was behind him and the Jetta was in front I could see his brights go on and stay on. They must have exited shortly after because they were gone when I finally decided to pass the semi(hit his brights off at that point). I'm sure those with a wife and kids can relate to how uncool of a situation that was, a doosh messing with not just me but my wife and son's safety on a 70mph interstate.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licit View Post
This was at night with a slight fog that came and went. Went to Daytona last week and on the trip down was going along fine in the 335xi with cruise control on headed east on I-24. There were no exits for the many miles this went on. In the right lane and an older Jetta comes along in the left lane. Semi was in my lane so I slowed to let the Jetta get past and I follow. After we pass, Jetta slows some and moves over to right lane. I continue in the left lane but as I start passing Jetta speeds up. I get over and follow again, he slows. This repeated and so I just blasted past him. I had a good distance on him but sure enough here the Jetta comes again. He continued this behavior for miles, passing and blocking then slowing and blocking me. I was pretty much shaking from the adrenaline at this point and my wife was pissed as well. I can't say the thought of just running him off the road didn't cross my mind. I maintained my composure through the incident but kept thinking what in the world can be going on in this guys head. I know he had to see my Indiana plates. Driver was a black male with a white female passenger. In case you don't know there are many gun toting racists in Indiana(I'm not one). The crap that guy was pulling is what gets people shot regardless of race but I could not believe the lengths the guy went to mess with me. I don't think he was drunk because his driving was fine. Maybe this is a fun game for Tennessee residents? I debated calling the police but didn't figure they'd get there any time soon. After the second time they pulled up on our left and stared over at me and I wouldn't look over it finally ended. They passed a semi and I stayed behind it. I'm pretty sure this semi saw some of it because after I was behind him and the Jetta was in front I could see his brights go on and stay on. They must have exited shortly after because they were gone when I finally decided to pass the semi(hit his brights off at that point). I'm sure those with a wife and kids can relate to how uncool of a situation that was, a doosh messing with not just me but my wife and son's safety on a 70mph interstate.
Nothing to get worked up about?

The safest thing to do in such situations is to put some distance between yourself and the other car. You have two choices, slow down, or speed up (depending on the other car... e.g. your limiter is only 9mph over a vr6's top speed) Given that you were going 70mph, slow down to 65 behind the semi, and let the lunatic go on his way.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz17 View Post

The safest thing to do in such situations is to put some distance between yourself and the other car. You have two choices, slow down, or speed up (depending on the other car... e.g. your limiter is only 9mph over a vr6's top speed) Given that you were going 70mph, slow down to 65 behind the semi, and let the lunatic go on his way.
This. But I wouldn't go too fast given the cargo.
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
Licit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz17 View Post

Yes that seems like that is what ended it though he got off at the first exit that was available for many miles so he may have gotten off there no matter what I did. I tried getting ahead and I tried slowing down. I got ahead enough at one point but he was able to catch up before long. I knew I couldn't stay real fast because then I'd be hit hard if a cop was in wait. The thing you have to understand is that it was a messed up situation where this guy was pursuing me as if it was some lifelong enemy of mine. Never in 20 years of driving have I been in a situation like that with another driver that seems to want to mess with me bad. Who does something like that unprovoked?

Last edited by Licit; 10-04-2011 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
i would have messed with him back, but im young.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
Licit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
i would have messed with him back, but im young.
You have to understand that I was in a state I've never been in, in the middle of the night with little traffic around. My thoughts were that if he is willing to mess with me that much for no reason his crazy ass probably had a gun. Had I started acting aggressively I have a feeling he was going to take it to the next level. There is no way I can put my wife and son at risk to try and show up some crazy freak.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

I drive plenty through NC/SC/VA/TN/KY.

It seems that people in these states have a type of 'latching disorder'. I can be gaining on them at 10-15mph, but as soon as I get next to them, they accelerate to match my speed, and will drive along like that (typically in my blind spot) until we run upon an even slower car, at which point they are blocked (and typically won't change lanes or accelerate to 'relatch').

I don't know exactly the psychology, but this seems to happen much more frequently in the south, than up north.

I find it extremely aggravating to get caught up with one of these yo-yos... sometimes they like to overtake me (after I've just overtaken them), and I end up having to pass the same moron several times over the next 10-15 minutes.

Just keep calm, and they typically go their own way. If the 'latcher' is tenacious enough, I'll typically take the next opportunity to pull off and fill up the tank, get a bite to eat, etc. Anything to get away from someone so determined to drive right next to me.

Just keep cool, and nothing will happen. In fact, I bet these jokers aren't even aware that they are doing it... it's some kind of internal wiring in the in-bred populations of our country....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

Now that I've been thinking about it, this has happened to me on my way to Albany. It was very early in the morning (2-4am, can't recall), I assume people are just bored and it gives them something to do.
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

TN has the highest number of handgun assaults per person in the US - I wouldn't have messed with him either!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

First of all there was no need to mention the Jetta driver's race. It's not important in this scenario.

When someone does this to you as mentioned above, the proper tactic is to put space between the two cars. I'd slow down to about 60 and let him go.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Aeler
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

I've lived in a few states, and one thing I can say without a shadow of a doubt is that there are idiots everywhere (not anyone reading this per say, but the driver the OP encountered) I live in TN now and I see the "latching" effect but I have seen it in Ohio, Illinois, New Jersey, up-state New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, California, etc. I'm sure they exist in all states.

As one of my co-workers states all the time "can't cure stupid"

And to the OP best thing you could of done instead of speeding up and looking at the driver of the other vehicle (and thus acknowledging them), you should of just ignored them and slowed down (to 40 MPH or less), as you said it was night, I'm sure there was not many vehicles on the road, and let them go there way. It sounds to me they are an aggressive driver and just being idiots.

Last edited by Aeler; 10-04-2011 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

i woulda just blasted by and kept a high rate of speed up as i usually do. if u go fast enough, no one latches on. if you're gonna follow me, don't be up my ass. i would have gotten in front and left my rear fogs on. at night, that'll piss someone off looking at them. i understand you had your family in the car but hey these cars are made for high speed travel. not a good impression to set for your kids though. people on the interstate can drive really stupid. maybe get bored. thats why i have tinted windows, can't see me, can't judge me. leave me let me be.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
witeagle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW Z4 2.8i * 10 BMW X3

I would have slowed down to 55 or so. If he kept slowing down, I would have taken it down to 45 to see if he just drove off. If not, then it's time to do what you an to get out of there and/or get on the phone and call for some help. You'd be suprised how quick you can get a response.

The latching effect, espesially when they hang back just a bit is usually since the driver figures you are over the speed limit and in front of you by a bit. You'd get the ticket first if you were both tagged by the police.

Ironically, I have been latched on by another car and since they were in the left lane in my blind spot area, the cop thought they must have been passing and got them instead <GRIN>
      10-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I get a lot of 'latching' on the highway... i mainly blame it on the way my car looks... i.e., blacked out car, big rims, loud exhaust: ricers/4bangers tend to think i'm a racecar wherever i go, so the speed up/slow down thing is just to provoke me...
other times i don't mind with people pull up next to me and stay there, 50% of the time they pull out their camera phone and snap a photo **shrug**

-i have a spotless record, i intend on keeping it that way... sorry if i have a nice looking car, is it wrong to enjoy your ride?

**this reply not intended to brag or be a douchebag - just my excuse**
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
First of all there was no need to mention the Jetta driver's race. It's not important in this scenario.

When someone does this to you as mentioned above, the proper tactic is to put space between the two cars. I'd slow down to about 60 and let him go.
I think he mentioned the details in case someone else runs into the same driver. Points such race, type of car, the way the driver was driving,time......etc etc. It wasn't a race thing. My girlfriend had the same kind of incident going down 81S. She tried to slow down to a crawl, but the other driver matched speed. She called me and provided details of the driver and car in case anything happened.

The details are very important in this scenario.

Last edited by LagMode335i; 10-04-2011 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: SP
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
Licit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeler View Post
I've lived in a few states, and one thing I can say without a shadow of a doubt is that there are idiots everywhere (not anyone reading this per say, but the driver the OP encountered) I live in TN now and I see the "latching" effect but I have seen it in Ohio, Illinois, New Jersey, up-state New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, California, etc. I'm sure they exist in all states.

As one of my co-workers states all the time "can't cure stupid"

And to the OP best thing you could of done instead of speeding up and looking at the driver of the other vehicle (and thus acknowledging them), you should of just ignored them and slowed down (to 40 MPH or less), as you said it was night, I'm sure there was not many vehicles on the road, and let them go there way. It sounds to me they are an aggressive driver and just being idiots.
I didn't look over or stare at them my wife was the one to tell me what they were doing. I knew not to make eye contact myself, I actually tried to mess with my mp3 player and stuff to act like I didn't know what they were doing at one point(hoping they'd think he isn't even aware we're messing with him). I did get down to almost 50mph(in a 70mph) behind a semi at one point and they stayed just in front of me in the left lane.
I guess in a way I am glad it happened because in the future if sh!t like this happens I am calling 911 and reporting the plate right away. If I have to I will pull off on the shoulder and stop.
My windows will absolutely be tinted before our next road trip! This was the first road trip we haven't had our 300C with limo tint. It made it sooooo much worse that they could see me the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #17
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

I had an experience similar to this but ended up far worse.

For whatever reason, a driver of a VW GTI aggressively tailgaited me. With two kids in the car, I moved from center lane to far right lane to let him pass, even though left lane was available to him. He shot passed me, cut me off, and very aggressively brake tested me. (110km/h to 30km/h as fast as my brakes could do it). He proceeded to match my speed, brake test, and weave aggressively in front of me for about ten minutes with no way for me to escape.

When the highway we were on divided, I took the route he was not taking. Once I was committed to exiting, he veered over and tossed a 600ml full bottle of water that hit me directly on the face that required seven stitches.

Fortunately, I have installed a blackbox gps video recording system. I had everything recorded, including the audio of kids crying. This record proved essential. Now, the driver has been caught and criminal charges are pending.

I don't know what these video systems cost in the US, but I recommend them highly. I never would have expected this to happen to me either. And my video evidence truly demonstrates I was not driving like a jerk to evoke his wrath.

Be careful out there and try everything to avoid escalating conflict. I bet most of us here on this forum have more to lose than the other guy.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #18
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

If I had the time, energy, and interest it would be funny to get on a VW board and get the other drivers version of this story....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
We used to call it the bunch of grapes theory. Lots of people clustering together on an otherwise empty interstate. On the other side use your hands free to call 911 give the plate number, mile marker & tell them you are being harassed. A sector car could show up petty fast

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #20
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Morpheus

If you can speak Mandarin and have even more time, I can give you the prison address where you can get the VW driver's story first hand!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #21
Licit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
If I had the time, energy, and interest it would be funny to get on a VW board and get the other drivers version of this story....
My guess would be him talking crap about messing with a driver in a BMW. Then he'd say that I tried to get away but his Jetta with Autobahn inspired gearing caught me in no time. Then he'd throw in that my puss ass wouldn't even look over at him when he was staring at me both times.
Honestly I'd be very impressed to find out that the Jetta driver had a computer and can use it. I'll put $500 up that he doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #22
Licit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
We used to call it the bunch of grapes theory. Lots of people clustering together on an otherwise empty interstate. On the other side use your hands free to call 911 give the plate number, mile marker & tell them you are being harassed. A sector car could show up petty fast
Except it was mostly just me and this Jetta, trucks in the right lane off and on and that was it. I know now to call 911 right away if something starts, look at taipei-TT's story. That was exactly how I was feeling things were going to end while events were transpiring. I also know that tint will help a bunch as well. NEVER had problems on interstates when we drove the 300C with limo tint.
Appreciate 0