E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SES light, error code P0030?

10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
urbanite23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: black beauty

SES light, error code P0030?

About two weeks ago, my service engine soon light came on. It is yellow. I recently got it scanned and the code it is throwing is P0030 (heater control circuit, bank 1, sensor 1).

I searched the forum and couldn't find much information on it. Has anyone else had to deal with this code? From what I can gather, it has something to do with smog/sensors. Is this something I should deal with immediately, will it harm the car or affect the performance? Bottom line, what is it exactly?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
urbanite23
Private First Class
Rep

Not sure if this makes any difference, just had a new air filter put in and an oil change done a few days before the ses popped up.

Any thoughts guys? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
evangelion139
Dreaming for Manual Transmission E92M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i MT; 2010 E92 M3

no idea on this one sor..

ive got a code of P0440 recently which makes the SES light on for like 2 days and after I went to a local auto service they did a quick scan and did nothing else with it except printed out a result sheet with "evaporative emission control system related to fuel tank venting system will require diagnostic time to pinpoint issue" , however the light went way immediately after the scan and i just drive it normally like nothing happened,,,,

no idea on this one either ...
      10-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

what tool are you using?
how many miles on the car?
      10-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

What does this mean?
OBD Code P0030refers to
Oxygen Sensors (O2S) or Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) need to reach a minimum operating temperature of 750 degrees F to produce an accurate voltage signal. The faster the heated oxygen sensor reaches that temperature the faster the sensor will start sending an accurate signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In order to achieve the require temperature, a heater element is included inside the heated oxygen sensor. The ECM controls the heated oxygen sensor heater element based on signals from the engine coolant temperature and engine load. The ECM controls the heater element circuit by allowing current flow to ground. The ECM monitors the voltage signal received through the heater element circuit and determines the state of the circuit by comparing the voltage detected with the factory specifications.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0030
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Engine may be running rich - Fuel vapour from Exhaust - Low MPG
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0030
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit open shorted to ground - Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit - Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit fuse - Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM) The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The P0030 is set when the ECM detects an open or shorted to ground condition on the heated oxygen sensor heater circuit
Possible Solutions
The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow, which is a very common problem for this type codes. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the generic definition for the P0030; however your vehicle's manufacturer may have a different definition and information for the P0030 code.

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
evangelion139
Dreaming for Manual Transmission E92M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i MT; 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzz View Post
What does this mean?
OBD Code P0030refers to
Oxygen Sensors (O2S) or Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) need to reach a minimum operating temperature of 750 degrees F to produce an accurate voltage signal. The faster the heated oxygen sensor reaches that temperature the faster the sensor will start sending an accurate signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In order to achieve the require temperature, a heater element is included inside the heated oxygen sensor. The ECM controls the heated oxygen sensor heater element based on signals from the engine coolant temperature and engine load. The ECM controls the heater element circuit by allowing current flow to ground. The ECM monitors the voltage signal received through the heater element circuit and determines the state of the circuit by comparing the voltage detected with the factory specifications.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0030
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Engine may be running rich - Fuel vapour from Exhaust - Low MPG
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0030
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit open shorted to ground - Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit - Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit fuse - Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM) The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The P0030 is set when the ECM detects an open or shorted to ground condition on the heated oxygen sensor heater circuit
Possible Solutions
The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow, which is a very common problem for this type codes. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the generic definition for the P0030; however your vehicle's manufacturer may have a different definition and information for the P0030 code.

where did you find this ?
      10-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
bimmercub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

It was an INNOVA 3100 the tool we used to skan the car.
      10-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
urbanite23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
what tool are you using?
how many miles on the car?
INNOVA 3100, 70k miles.

Not sure if this is related, but on my idrive it is showing that I have a smog
inspection due 11/2011. Is this something I should be concerned about, or code out and hopefully be done with? Still haven't been able to find much info on it.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

You most likely need that 02 sensor. The code is just for the heater circuit though. So you will likely still pass the emission test.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #10
left123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanite23 View Post
INNOVA 3100, 70k miles.

Not sure if this is related, but on my idrive it is showing that I have a smog
inspection due 11/2011. Is this something I should be concerned about, or code out and hopefully be done with? Still haven't been able to find much info on it.
Thanks.
OP, sorry to bring back such an old post, but I recently threw the same code, P0030, and cannot seem to track down others that have had this in e90's.

I have an 06 330i with this code and wanted to see if you had any insight into how to go about fixing. I dont want to buy a $200 O2 sensor before I know this is the problem. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.