E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Shadowline lower trim replacement problem

09-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
gptrilik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i, '02 M Coupe

Shadowline lower trim replacement problem

Howdy,

I am in process of replacing my exterior trim on my E90 sedan from chrome to shadowline and am following the DIY listed below:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8069

The upper trim was not a problem. The old came out just fine, the new went in just fine.

Some slight issues with the lower trim though. The original chrome trim cover piece on the drivers door came out just fine. After popping the retaining clip off with some slight pulling it seperated from the lower trim seal if slowly pulling.

Now you are left with the lower trim seal left attached to the door. This came out after some pulling with some needle nose pliers. It is not in any shape to be re-used. It was deformed in many ways and cannot be straightened. Interestingly enough, the E90 Bentley manual shows some kind of tool that can be used to pull these up but I am unsure if that is in an attempt to re-use the lower trim seals or just for ease of pulling it out..

So the sideview mirror is removed, the original lowertrim is removed, and I am ready to install the new shadowline trim and lower seal combination.

I start from the edge of the door by placing the plastic retaining clip over the edge of the door and slowly start to press the combined shadowline trim and lower seal. It is going well until I get to the point of having to press the lower trim seal past where the side view mirror should be. Something catches on the shadowline trim cover and it pops off of the lower seal.

Uh oh.... Pressing on the shadowline trim cover does not seem to get it to pop back into the groove on the lower seal. Is there some other way to get it to pop back into the groove? Perhaps removing the trim cover altogether and sliding it into the groove from the edge of the door? That didn't seem to work well on attempting to reinstall an exisiting chrome trim piece on another door..

So looking for some help here, and I hope the answer isn't I have to buy a whole new shadowline trim piece for the driverside door...

Thanks for any help \ advice offered.

George T.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

i really hope someone helps you. ive asked 2 different times and gotten 0 replies.
sad thing is i purchased a new lower trim (which comes with the rubber molding) and got 0 help putting it in. :/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562972
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551533
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Zasquatch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gptrilik View Post
the E90 Bentley manual shows some kind of tool that can be used to pull these up but I am unsure if that is in an attempt to re-use the lower trim seals or just for ease of pulling it out...
What page ?!?!?!? I spent 15 minutes flipping through the pages and couldn't find the section for removing the door window trim...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
gptrilik
Enlisted Member
Rep

512-8 Door Windows on the Bentley 3 Series Service Manual (E90, E91, E92, E93)

It refers to 'BMW special tool 00 9 324'. It appears to be a 2.5" to 3" tall C channel metal tool which can grab the lower lip of the lower trim seal (referred to as the window cavity trim strip). Pictures would make me think the tool applies a more even pressure across a longer section of the seal and probably not deform it when pulling it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasquatch View Post
What page ?!?!?!? I spent 15 minutes flipping through the pages and couldn't find the section for removing the door window trim...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
gptrilik
Enlisted Member
Rep

I removed the old lower seal can be done by reaching your fingers down into the door opening where the lowered glass sits and just pull it up. It does take some force to get it to move but it eventually does. It comes up in a twisted mess, never to be used again if done this way though..

Well I decided to get brave and try the passenger side front door to see if it went any differently. Even though the combined trim and seal still seemed to get hung up some when pushing it past the near where the side view mirror is mounted, I pushed slower and it just seemed to drop down in place just fine...

So now all I have left to fix is the drivers side front door trim and it looks like I may have to either try get that trim to slide into the groove, or buy a whole entire new piece...

Anyone have any luck on getting a piece of exterior door trim to slide back into the groove it originally came out of?

Thanks,
George T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj505 View Post
i really hope someone helps you. ive asked 2 different times and gotten 0 replies.
sad thing is i purchased a new lower trim (which comes with the rubber molding) and got 0 help putting it in. :/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562972
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551533
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
Zasquatch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
512-8 Door Windows on the Bentley 3 Series Service Manual (E90, E91, E92, E93)

It refers to 'BMW special tool 00 9 324'. It appears to be a 2.5" to 3" tall C channel metal tool which can grab the lower lip of the lower trim seal (referred to as the window cavity trim strip). Pictures would make me think the tool applies a more even pressure across a longer section of the seal and probably not deform it when pulling it up.
Nice thanks for the info. Found this TIS online that helps:
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/11/36/07

Can't help in your case though, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
FarSeide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
nice find man... now where do you get that tool from ?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
I removed the old lower seal can be done by reaching your fingers down into the door opening where the lowered glass sits and just pull it up. It does take some force to get it to move but it eventually does. It comes up in a twisted mess, never to be used again if done this way though..

Well I decided to get brave and try the passenger side front door to see if it went any differently. Even though the combined trim and seal still seemed to get hung up some when pushing it past the near where the side view mirror is mounted, I pushed slower and it just seemed to drop down in place just fine...

So now all I have left to fix is the drivers side front door trim and it looks like I may have to either try get that trim to slide into the groove, or buy a whole entire new piece...

Anyone have any luck on getting a piece of exterior door trim to slide back into the groove it originally came out of?

Thanks,
George T.

thanks man. ill try that in the spring. i actually went ahead and ordered the bentley manual after reading your post.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I removed mine to paint it and had to remove the rubber seal and the trim. Install the trim on the rubber seal before pushing it back in.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=painting
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Zasquatch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarSeide View Post
nice find man... now where do you get that tool from ?
No idea.... I googled for a good 30 min with no luck. I may try to make my own.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
gptrilik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the link to your Painting DIY. I followed your recommendation on removing the seal to press the trim into it off of the vehicle. I thought about taking some scrap metal and bending it to look like that BMW tool 00 9 324. As I was looking I thought of another tool I have. A Vinyl Siding Tool like what I have linked to below..

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...&categoryID=65

Slowly pulling the bottom of that seal with the siding tool moved it up in small increments. I just kept moving the tool and slowly moving the seal up and off of the metal it was pressed onto. The one sectio I couldn't get the tool down into was the part of the seal next to where the sideview mirror mounts. I justdid the best I could to slowly pull the seal up to minimize bending.

After the seal was off it tool me about 30 minutes to straighten out the bent section and re-press the trim cover on.

Re-installation of the combined seal and trim went ok. It was a bit more difficult to press the re-used seal down but with moving slowly it did eventually find its groove and was able to be re-installed.

Thanks for all of the help!

George T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I removed mine to paint it and had to remove the rubber seal and the trim. Install the trim on the rubber seal before pushing it back in.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=painting
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Danno1975
Rep
Drives: 2006 320d msport touring

Hi, sorry to resurrect an oldish thread but my E91 tourings shadow line trim keeps popping of the rubber, clipped it back on a few times but last week it popped of as I was reversing off the drive and without knowing I drove over it . Other side popped off today. BMW want £300 just to fit+£100 for the new trim with the rubber.

They quote 2.5 hours.

How long did it take you guys? Tbh I'm going to just rip the whole rear section rubber and trim complete out both sides and replace, so the removal is no concern but is replacement easy?, it's just the rears on mine strangely.

No way I'm paying £400 to BMW for it.
Appreciate 0