E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > E92 Production Delayed?

04-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
klock379
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

E92 Production Delayed?

Hi folks,

1st time BMW owner, 1st time poster as well.

I negotiated a E92 back in late Feb and I told the guy I won't be needing the car until May, so we have the understanding that in May I will be taking delivery of the new car.

Since then I have been intentionally not getting to worked up about the detail of the production and all that, although I know I can get the production number from the rep and track the progress. I decided to play it cool.

Today, seeing that I am just a month (or less) away from getting the new car, I decided to call the dealer for an update. When I got my rep on the phone, he was very apologetic, and telling me that there is a delay in the production and that the factory cannot meet the demand, and the dealership, although it is arguably one of the largest in Ontario, they are not getting their quota met (I am paraphrasing here), hence I am not going to see the car until June.

Well, I was surprised but not overly upset about that, and the fact that today is the month end, I agreed to let the rep go now and we will talk again on Thursday. At that time, I fully intend to get all information I can get from the dealer, start with the production number.

But before I engage in that conversation I want to check with the board to see

- Has anyone in Toronto or Canada or the East Coast getting the same treatment?

- Is this indeed the case, i.e. a delay in production and shortage (I mean more than normal) in supply, or is he BSing me?

- Would he be entering my order late and ended up delaying my delivery, and instead he blame it on the poor German factory workers. If so, will the production number and the time he place the order have any co-relation?

- Is there anything I can do to prove him wrong if he is BSing me

- Is there anything I can do to protect my investment?

Again, I don't mind waiting, as long as it is for the right reasons.

Thanks guys. I welcome any words of wisdom.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

If you ordered the car in February you should get it in May. However, there is a 'shortage' of E92s so the wait is now about 4 months. This means that since you ordered in February (and obviously you're not getting the car in May), June is a very reasonable time frame.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
milehigh5000
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BS 328i coupe

Garage List
i ordered my car mid april and am planning on getting it 1st or 2nd week of june..my e92 just went into production this morning around 6:30am..im excited cuz it went in a week early hopefully yours moves along as well!!
      04-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think all this bs about production being delayed is BS. Is their a wait time for e92's...yes. Does everyone wait 4 months just to start production, no. When the e92 first came out, their was a huge demand which made the wait time quite long. But its not as bad anymore. It pretty much depends on allocations. Some dealerships have allocations asap. You go in and order, you get a production number before you leave. While others have a list of cars that are waiting to get a spot for production.

I ordered my car in February as well and when i ordered i was fully aware that the dealership had no allocations at the time and i was waiting in line for the next allocation spot.
      04-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Prodigy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, Alpine White

I ordered my car in Feb and was told May production. As of two weeks ago, i got a phone call from my rep telling me to forget about May delivery and expect July delivery. Well, needless to say I wasn't too pleased about that and demanded for an earlier production. They were able to fit me into a May production slot with June delivery. I got the same story from them about production delays and so forth. Just be sure to get your production number so you know they are not blowing smoke.
      04-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

i ordered on the 26th of april but still havent heard anything from my CA about production. I'll be giving him a call tomorrow

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
It is all BS. If there was a delay then my car would not have gone from week 19 build to week 16. The dealer told me 12 weeks when I ordered on 3/12 and the car is going to be at the port in NY on 5/7, so I will probably have the car in 9 weeks, maybe 10. When I ordered a 3 series E46 back in 2000 (when the new coupe first came out) it was an 8 week wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
bobobeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

I ordered mine in mid Feb. / just picked it up last Friday.:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
Prodigy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, Alpine White

Here's the problem. From what I've been told from a few people is that all the allocation slots are going to the USA and Canada is fairly limited, this is why Canadians are experiencing longer wait periods for their cars.
      04-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
When the e92 first came out, their was a huge demand which made the wait time quite long. But its not as bad anymore.
When I ordered in Oct., there was 1 in stock, and the wait to order was 6-8 wks. Mine came in 8 wks. later. It seems like it's gotten worse, not better, for getting an E92.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
Here's the problem. From what I've been told from a few people is that all the allocation slots are going to the USA and Canada is fairly limited, this is why Canadians are experiencing longer wait periods for their cars.
yap IMO thats true...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
When I ordered in Oct., there was 1 in stock, and the wait to order was 6-8 wks. Mine came in 8 wks. later. It seems like it's gotten worse, not better, for getting an E92.
Its like you said, theirs 1 in stock. When you ordered it, the car was probably close to going into production, they just had to modify a existing order to your specifications. Thats why you only waited 8 weeks. But for others that actually went through the whole process of getting on a list just to get a allocation. It took almost 4 months to take delivery.

A lot of people have been getting bumped up on production. I went from week 18 to week 16 production. But i guess what the others have said is right. This is for US. Maybe their are more allocations for US and not canada.
      04-30-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
burger335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Space Grey

I also ordered my e92 at the end of Feb. They originally told me production was going to be in April then changed it to May and since changed it back to April. It is all based on dealer allocations. I have heard of trading a sedan slot for a coupe with another dealer or a cab for a coupe etc.. I followed my car through BMW Head Office in Whitby and 3 weeks ago I was Scheduled for production then In production and now I am waiting for a ship if not on one. I believe he used your April build for another deal. They know when the order is placed what they have available.
Good luck I am still waiting, wanting
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
sernest
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi Coupe-Man

I ordered mine in March from "the largest dealer in Ontario", it is supposed to be May production, June delivery. I only received a production number a month later, but haven't heard anything since, called the dealer last week but they can even tell me what week in May.

Have they given you a production number, if so you could call BMW Canada and find out if they have any updated information.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
Hound Passer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i Convertible

Get the production number and call BMW. They can tell you when the order was accepted and if there were any production delays.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #16
Sledchaser
What does that button do?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Speaking of production delays..I was visiting my CA last week and he showed me an email that came from BMWNA to all dealers. Apparently they aren't taking any more orders for the 335. I don't know if that's for the rest of the model year or a temporary delay. Popular cars they are!!

I am a majority of my problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #17
klock379
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sernest View Post
Have they given you a production number, if so you could call BMW Canada and find out if they have any updated information.
This is what I am planning to do the next time I speak to the rep. Judging from what I am reading there is a shortage, but the dealer can make it worst by trading my allocation with someone else so that someone will get a car before I do... not nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #18
klock379
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger335i View Post
I also ordered my e92 at the end of Feb.
I guess you and I are on the same boat, no pun intended... so what is the status of your car? Which production week were your car scheduled?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #19
burger335i
Private
Rep

I believe my car finished production around April 20 - 24, based on what I am being told by BMWNA. I am hoping it has a ticket for a ship(first class) for the journey over. How about you? The wait is rediculous particularly with the lack of updates from BMW. I don't blame them for the production delays so much it is the total lack of follow-up that I have trouble with. It ruins the buying experience and I plan on telling them in my assessment following delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
klock379
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger335i View Post
I believe my car finished production around April 20 - 24, based on what I am being told by BMWNA. I am hoping it has a ticket for a ship(first class) for the journey over. How about you? The wait is rediculous particularly with the lack of updates from BMW. I don't blame them for the production delays so much it is the total lack of follow-up that I have trouble with. It ruins the buying experience and I plan on telling them in my assessment following delivery.
That is great! you must be all giddy up about the new car. I can only wish my car will be produced within the next two weeks so I will get it by June.

And I agree with you that the lack of communication that also displeases me. Had I not called the dealer, I wouldn't have known that the car would not be available in May.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #21
burger335i
Private
Rep

I just found out my car is on the water (hopefully not literally). Don't know what ship but at most 10 days to Halifax and who knows from there.

Hmmm...now how do I pay for this again?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #22
Swak
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Seems to be a long delay
Appreciate 0